Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why when people want to refer to women's or girls external genitals they say vagina

(56 Posts)
BoundandRebound Sun 15-Sep-13 23:12:13

It's not called that

It's vulva

We don't refer to boys urethras do we?

BoundandRebound Mon 16-Sep-13 19:59:43

I think Julia is spot on with "it's just yet another one of those little things which are all really trivial on their own, but added together with eg embarrassment of schoolgirls about periods, sex being defined a penis in vagina, ignorance about female sexual pleasure, teenagers wanting designer vaginas, pubic hair ripped out with hot wax, etc etc it ends up being quite alienating"

And the lack of female education about their physiology - it wasn't until I was interested in conception that I realised that cervical mucus was a natural part of my body and not some kind of recurrent infection

mewmeow Mon 16-Sep-13 20:06:59

What??shock
I thought that.. the vagina was the whole thing?!
Ok.
Cheers mums net. Only taken me 23 years.

puggle01 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:09:46

YANBU! I was apoplectic with rage when Dr Christian from Embarrassing bodies was asking women if they washed their vaginas before they went out - then scolded them as it was all self-cleaning + shouldn't be douched- when if he'd clarified the vulva/vagina question in the first goddamn place. ...And breathe.....

bellablot Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:30

Another thing to be judged about as a parent, ffs people get a grip. If your talking about educating a 2 year old then YADBU, a 12 year old, YANBU.

Ziggyzoom Mon 16-Sep-13 20:30:24

So Bellablot, you give your child incorrect information from the age of 2 and then when they are 12 tell them that you deliberately misinformed them because that is what everyone else does - madness!

digerd Tue 17-Sep-13 13:43:28

Beyond grin I'm not artistic with drawings. I was showing only the inside bit .
Love your Labia and Clitoris design- wish I'd thought of that - brilliant grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now