To be a bit confused about Mumsnet Classics?

(163 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:04:02

A lot of threads have gone into Classics, but really that's because people get swept away with it. At the time. The thread may have been funny and those posting had a day or so of laughing, but why does it need to be in Classics?

Does anyone ever look in Classics? Apart from maybe to find the unfunny Pom Bear thread? confused

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:24:19

Everyone except me has a favourite Classics thread. My eighties music thread went into Classics-it was a great night but not exceptional. grin

marzipanned Sun 15-Sep-13 22:24:24

Oh, and true that some of them are heartwarming like EMIN's drug dependent baby thread mentioned already. Did the MN kitten rescue make it in there?

AlaskaNebraska Sun 15-Sep-13 22:24:40

mine and ahundredtimes HTT was funny at the time - not sure it works still

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 15-Sep-13 22:25:01

My penguin on a train thread is in classics and had me crying with laughter. Maybe you did have to be there but I still think it was funny.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 15-Sep-13 22:25:36

Taken up the oxo tower! grin

nothruroad Sun 15-Sep-13 22:25:57

My favourite one ever is the booble pate. I read it whenever I feel low. It is one of the major tragedies of my life that I didn't see it unfold live so I missed the triumphant photo.

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:26:23

Marzipanned I am sure if I had been there, on the thread about the foxy bonnet I would have been roaring with laughter and joining in. But it's a dead thread now. sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:27:27

Wasn't the booble plate a plate that fell down the back of the loo? confused

D0G Sun 15-Sep-13 22:27:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thistlelicker Sun 15-Sep-13 22:27:58

I've read people comment along the lines of "are u Sharon" and often wondered what they meant? And still do!??!!!

I think Viva is trying to tell us something.... grin

usualsuspect Sun 15-Sep-13 22:28:21

Some of the funniest threads on here don't make classics.

But I might just have a different soh to most grin

The 'what do you do with your arms when you are dancing thread' made me proper laugh.

Mintyy Sun 15-Sep-13 22:28:41

You'd have to be a tiny bit dense to think that all threads in Classics had to be hilariously funny to you personally, wouldn't you? This is a site of gazillions of users so pom bears to one is going to be dull bears to another. I sincerely doubt I could find a thread about poo on skirts funny, but who am I to say that others shouldn't?

AnneUulmelmahay Sun 15-Sep-13 22:28:50

Hemhem Alaska I was on that rebranding one too, v funny I was, back then arf.

The HTT and potty bootcamps were GREAT. Now our precious babbas are hulking great teens that pat our heads kindly as they skip out to meet mates. <dabs eyes>

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:29:00

Go on then Viva link me to your penguin driving a train thread. grin

nothruroad Sun 15-Sep-13 22:29:12

Yes, Sparkling, but it was so much more. Go read it now - but be warned it's an emotional rollercoaster!

AnneUulmelmahay Sun 15-Sep-13 22:30:11

Totes what our Mintyy said ^ ^

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:31:11

I don't think 'funny' is the only criteria Mintyy, i think there's WTF Classics and 'Bizarre', and 'Heartwarming' probably.

Then there's the 'You had to be there' ones.

AlaskaNebraska Sun 15-Sep-13 22:31:16

i bumped it

its not a classic

Ledkr Sun 15-Sep-13 22:31:32

I read loads of them when in hospital recently and couldn't sleep.
I also read some of mine and ended up in years at the one where I posted I'd finally had dd2 it was the middle if the night and everyone was saying congrats.
<sobs> p

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 15-Sep-13 22:31:47

I want to see the tiny wanker thread! It's gone though, apparently...sad

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 15-Sep-13 22:34:26

Sharon was funny, and tRex in Asda. Again though I watched it unfold.

I saw mention of the "your minge"thread, which I did not see live, it was mildly amusing obviously but I was expecting great things due to the build up it was given.

Classics is the MN equivalent of somebody telling you a hilarious story and then you not "getting" the joke because.."you had to be there".

I do like to dip in and out though, tis MN folklore after all.

Go on then Viva.

I actually don't think I have ever read a thread where someone says "Oooh I'm nominating for Classics" and MNHQ has said, "Erm, no, not so much"

I mean, every thread I have seen nominated has gotten in. Not exactly the most stringent criteria...

marzipanned Sun 15-Sep-13 22:35:17

Just had a brief flick through Classics. There was quite a good photo of a cat wearing a pink gilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now