Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be a bit confused about Mumsnet Classics?

(163 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:04:02

A lot of threads have gone into Classics, but really that's because people get swept away with it. At the time. The thread may have been funny and those posting had a day or so of laughing, but why does it need to be in Classics?

Does anyone ever look in Classics? Apart from maybe to find the unfunny Pom Bear thread? confused

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:12:50

You dare Panzee. sad

I am not being a party pooper honest. It's just that threads being in Classics is all down to opinion I suppose.

NoelHeadbands Sun 15-Sep-13 22:12:58

I joined MN after stumbling upon the Classics topic via Google I think.

So you know, you can thank Classics for that. For me.

confused

marzipanned Sun 15-Sep-13 22:14:00

The river of sweetcorn is immortalised in the Mumsnet guide to babies. grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:14:42

How many votes does it have to get to go into Classics? Or is it MN discretion?

Has a thread ever gone in then turned out to be a troll? shock

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sun 15-Sep-13 22:14:52

I like classics, a lot of them make fun reading! If you were involved in them then maybe you get the humour more? Not sure.

McNewPants2013 Sun 15-Sep-13 22:15:03

I loved the yoni thread, it was the responses that made it funny not the OP

I came here via classics too! The funniest monents of childbirth thread sucked me in!

the Yoni thread was statted by a troll. He was evicted and MN kept the thread! it was brilliant!
I was on the "I almost became a local news story" thread kept me amused for days. I was posting on it. Im so glad it got put in classics forever!

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:18:47

I definitely think if you posted on them and watched them develop that maybe adds to the 'Classic' experience.

the Yoni one went on for far too long really.

I have seen the Easter Bonnet. Meh. Sorry. sad

AnneUulmelmahay Sun 15-Sep-13 22:19:08

Alaska the funniest one not in Classics is the St Moritz fake tan one with xox cubes and helix cat food in Other subjects. Wink.

BellaVita Sun 15-Sep-13 22:20:00

Yes just like that Sparkling grin

Some are funnier than others!

The sharon threads, and the painted pigeon one had me crying with laughter.

Yoni was hilarious, as it was happening - im not sure if it would be funny now. The thing I liked about that was not knowing what was coming next, from both OP and the replies.

HoneyDragon Sun 15-Sep-13 22:21:15

I sometimes dive in for read.

It beats a magazine, for sure.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 15-Sep-13 22:21:47

I very rarely look at classics, though did love the original Trip Adviser.
When I first came on the Pom Bear one was so highly recommended I spent a dire hour reading it and it even has it's own emoticon.
IT IS NOT FUNNY.
Fact.

PresidentServalan Sun 15-Sep-13 22:22:47

The thread about the Chip n Dale dolls was amazing grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 15-Sep-13 22:22:47

That's it Taboo, it's like watching something 'live'. Reading Classics for me is like watching it 3 months later. There will be no more updates, the fun has all been had IYKWIM.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 15-Sep-13 22:22:49

My penguin on a train thread is in classics and had me crying with laughter. Maybe you did have to be there but I still think it was funny.

JumpingJackSprat Sun 15-Sep-13 22:22:49

classics is worth it for the "I pooed on my skirt at work" thread.

PresidentServalan Sun 15-Sep-13 22:22:57

The thread about the Chip n Dale dolls was amazing grin

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 15-Sep-13 22:23:11

My penguin on a train thread is in classics and had me crying with laughter. Maybe you did have to be there but I still think it was funny.

marzipanned Sun 15-Sep-13 22:23:11

Oh sad That's okay. It was one of the first posts I ever saw on here and I was expecting the bonnet to be really shit, so it was a lovely surprise.

Assume it's MN discretion after a certain number of votes. Definitely agree that most of them aren't remotely funny unless you were involved, and, yes, most of them go on way too long.

AlaskaNebraska Sun 15-Sep-13 22:23:29

ooh this thread is " mumsnet at its best"

AlaskaNebraska Sun 15-Sep-13 22:23:59

Anne - i LOVED that oen, the rebranding. I was on it - hence grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now