To still find Keira Knightley really annoying..?

(124 Posts)
Scarletohello Sun 15-Sep-13 21:29:01

Ok this has probably been to done to death on another thread many moons ago but that bloody annoying Coco Chanel advert is being advertised every ten minutes it seems and that pour of hers us driving me mad! I just think she is a really wooden actress who is only used a lot cos she's as thin as an ironing board ...

Does anyone like her? ( or am I just being irrational ..?)

Bumblequeen Tue 17-Sep-13 09:46:47

The long green gown she wore in Atonement was gorgeous.

SkodaLabia Tue 17-Sep-13 09:42:29

Regardless of my opinion on her skills or appearance I hate that shot up her fanjo as she gets on the bike, and the bit where he takes her boot off and her bare foot comes out of it makes me want to boak. Put socks on woman!

nonmifairidere Tue 17-Sep-13 09:37:25

Seriously, haven't you lot got something more fruitful to do than picking over some celeb.

melika Tue 17-Sep-13 09:29:25

I wish I had a body like hers. I get a good feeling she is a nice unpretentious, willful person who knows what she wants out of life.

Good luck to her, I say.

DukeSilver Tue 17-Sep-13 08:54:41

What a fucking horrible thread.

How depressing is it that a lot of the comments are about her weight and body shape. She is naturally thin. She has a very similar body shape to me. Great to know that is seems to be considered so unattractive hmm

Like others have said if she was slightly overweight (because yes, she is thin but really she is just a little slimmer than the average) and people were making comments about how horrible it was there would be outrage!

God, nasty nasty people on here.

Liketochat1 Tue 17-Sep-13 08:45:03

I think there's a lot of jealousy surrounding Keira. She is a stunning, successful, rich woman who has just married the love of her life. Some people are going to be bitter sadly.

Notafoodbabyanymore Tue 17-Sep-13 08:24:52

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Gunznroses Mon 16-Sep-13 10:27:04

I think its you and the baying crowd that need to calm down, she's just an ordinary woman trying to make a living at what she's good at, if you dont like her movies that's fine, but the extent of hatred towards her on this thread is way beyond simply "critiquing" her work.

squoosh Mon 16-Sep-13 10:14:10

Calm down Gunznroses.

If your ire wasn't directed at me then you shouldn't have quoted me. People ripping her apart because of her appearance and people stating that they don't think her a acting skills are all that noteworthy are two very separate things.

melika Mon 16-Sep-13 10:13:14

I really liked her in 'The Duchess' and thought she did a good job in that.

Gunznroses Mon 16-Sep-13 09:59:11

squoosh - its you that needs to get a grip. My comments were addressing all the vitriol being spouted not just your comments that you added much later, dont flatter yourself, its not all about you love.

i dont have to be a fan or superfan to recognise nastiness, i just have to be human. Its obvioulsy okay to suggest who would like to fuck her then as she is so worthless as an actor? Why dont you comment about that? Demented? No just another woman.

Larrygogan Mon 16-Sep-13 09:53:36

I met her a few times years ago when she was just starting out and used to be up for the same roles as a former student of DHs, and later when a friend was involved in the football coaching for Bend It Like Beckham. I thought she was nice, quite ordinary. I certainly didn't foresee how famous she would become. If you had asked me to bet, I would have said DH's old student had the edge, being a ravishingly pretty English rose type who was getting callbacks, and got a small role in a film with Alicia Silverstone that was billed to be huge.

I think KK is continually miscast in period roles to which she isn't suited, partly because she has such a 2013 face and body. She was far better in the few contemporary things I've seen her in.

Smoorikins Mon 16-Sep-13 09:47:17

I know people outside of mumsnet that don't rate KK highly as an actress.

You are clutching at straws, and not doing yourself any favours.

ilovesooty Mon 16-Sep-13 09:40:14

I rather like her. I agree with AnyFucker

squoosh Mon 16-Sep-13 09:33:39

'With women like you around we dont need to worry about misogyny at all do we? '

Fucking hell Gunznroses you sound absolutely hysterical. Are you a KK super fan or just a bit dim? I'm a misogynist because I described Keira Knightley as being 'very attractive and an average actress'? I think you need to get a grip, and a dictionary.

As a paying cinema goer of course my opinion counts, albeit in a miniscule way. Her name does not entice me to see one of her films. I make my choices when I see the names on a poster. I avoid her films in the main just as I avoid films with Jude Law in them.

And you are absolutely demented if you think that Hollywood values talent over looks, especially when it comes to female actors.

limitedperiodonly Mon 16-Sep-13 09:32:29

She's beautiful, she seems an all right person and she's nowhere near as wooden than Orlando Bloom.

Come to think of it, Johnny Depp is no Olivier either. I still like him.

Gunznroses Mon 16-Sep-13 09:32:20

Nancy - I am not naive thank you very much, and I never said looks had nothing to do with casting. I did say 'beautifull actresses are ten a penny in the business" so obviously good looks are part of the package. However i disagree with the posts saying KK is casted purely for her looks and therefore desrves these comments. Utter rubbish.

^why is it considered outrageous to state you don't rate somebody at their job?

Its not outrageous if you can articulate this without tearing her to pieces like a pack of vultures, whilst suggesting who or what part of her,
random men might like to fuck.

KK is paid millions to convince the audience that she is the character she is portraying

Its obviously missed your attention that she is convincing millions quite well, the MN baying crowd are the lone voice of one crying in the wilderness. Why do you think she keeps being recasted? Oh i forgot its her looks hmm

WholeNutt Mon 16-Sep-13 09:26:53

Can't stand her and I was telling dh last night how her pout made me want to smack her up the head with a sock full of shit.

Yanbu.

fromparistoberlin Mon 16-Sep-13 09:21:41

i thought that MN was slightly above celeb bitching posts

Smoorikins Mon 16-Sep-13 09:19:15

A) I think the focus on here about her looks/breast size/size is just horrible. I wonder how perfect everyone making those judgements are

B) do people really think the only people entitled to an opinion on acting ability are those that work in the film industry? Really? As a cinema goer/dvd buyer I and the vast number of others like me sustain that industry. Surely we have every right to comment on the acting skills of the people in the product we paid for? Is it wrong to say you didn't like a meal in a restaurant, because obviously the chef knows better?

Nancy66 Mon 16-Sep-13 09:12:26

Gunznroses - you are being a bit naïve if you don't think actresses (actors too) are cast because of their looks.

Why is it considered so outrageous to state that you don't rate somebody at their job? KK is paid millions to convince the audience that she is the character she is portraying. If she doesn't do that - and mostly (for me) she doesn't - then it's not a stretch to say that she isn't a very convincing actress.

Itstartshere Mon 16-Sep-13 09:08:49

I really like her. I loved how low key her wedding was, she seems so unpretentious. I can't imagine her running round with Prince Harry, Cara Delavigne and that crowd utterly milking her celebrity. I think she'd be a great person to have as a friend.

I don't think she can act - I liked her in Georgiana and Atonement but not so much in other things, but she is stunningly beautiful. And thank you AnyFucker for being the voice of reason on this thread.

Gunznroses Mon 16-Sep-13 08:45:29

Yes and of course you would know about all that being up there with all the top casting directors! Fgs why is it hard for you to accept that a woman doing well in her career might just be because she is good and not because of her looks?

With women like you around we dont need to worry about misogyny at all do we? Of course as she is such a bad actress she entiled to all the vitriol being spouted here. Nasty just nasty!

I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to have a low opinion of her acting skills

Really? You should be ashamed of yourself, thank God your opinion doesn't count.

squoosh Mon 16-Sep-13 08:27:00

I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to have a low opinion of her acting skills. She is an average actress at best. Lots of people are favoured by the big studios because they have a bankable name, it doesn't make them Meryl Streep.

Gunznroses Mon 16-Sep-13 08:05:08

Lol at all the film experts who have decided KK can't act. The film/ casting directors all think she can but MN jury have decided in their expert opinion she can't. As for her beauty, beautiful actresses are ten a penny in the film business so surely she must have a lot more to offer than just her looks.

I find it rather distasteful a woman suggesting her dh would like to fuck another woman as if she's a piece of meat up for the taking, very crass!, says more about you than her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now