To feel a bit depressed/upset that people need to behave this way...

(55 Posts)
Gossipmonster Sun 15-Sep-13 17:46:35

At the supermarket this afternoon (Tesco for those who need to judge grin). Possibly feeling a bit low/sensitive as OH just gone away back to the forces after having 2 months together.

Walking up the aisle there was a group of adults and children stood in the middle of the "junction" of the aisle totally blocking it. One very large "lady" (by large I mean massive - wider than my trolley) directly in my way. One of the other ladies said to her "Oi Kel move yer arse someone wants to get through" "Kel" looked around, gave me a really hard stare moved aside but said "And? Why the fuck should I give a shit?" (Children still present) and then stood in front of the cold meats totally blocking them from me - and actually made me feel a bit intimidated - I did assert myself and get what I needed but why would a grown woman behave like that? In Tesco?!

WTAF is wrong with these people? How can we expect our children to grow up and behave in a civilised manner when I it seems a fair few adults cannot?

I find it really quite depressing.

cannotfuckingbelievethis Sun 15-Sep-13 18:09:50

Slightly off topic...but YABU to go to Sports Direct...I hate that bloody shop but it's the only place for decent priced trainers for the kids isn't it. The clothes rails are so close together though that I always end up getting the pram caught in them and look like I'm trying to shop lift about 40 football tops/

I was in a Wetherspoons (I know I know but she lives opposite so it is handy place to meet) this afternoon with my sister and a boy said "can we sit in a booth not a table, the wooden chairs are too hard" and the Dad replied "What if I fuckin crack one 'o them o'er your heed - see how hard they are then?" Seriously - why?!

Gossipmonster Sun 15-Sep-13 18:22:58

I was walking down the street in the summer and this guy came out of the bookies and walked right into my path forcing me to swerve out of his way and instead of saying thanks he said "stupid fucking bitch lucky I didn't fucking deck you" shock.

CatsWearingTutus Sun 15-Sep-13 18:32:34

The swearing at children is absolutely vile (not that's wearing at adults isn't) and my heart really goes out to the poor little things at the mercy of the monsters they call their parents. I hear it on the train all the time as well as at Tescos and seems to be terribly frequent. It's awful but I don't think there's anything I can do. I've thought about saying something but they're sure to just take it out on the children later, making things worse.

OliviaPope Sun 15-Sep-13 18:33:57

I agree with pictish, enjoy your life and don't give them a second thought. They can't be entirely happy with their life to act like that so I would feel sorry for them and move on!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 15-Sep-13 18:37:28

God, OP, where do you live? It sounds like it's full of foul-mouthed, ignorant fuckwits.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Sun 15-Sep-13 19:16:07

Some people are just horrible. As a kind and decent person its hard to understand.

I went in Sports Direct Friday for the first time ever! It was track suit hell. grin I did like some of the prices on shoes for Dd though.
But us Poor folks have to shop where we can. I also visited Aldi, Lidl and Pound stretcher on the same day. confused

JazzApazz Sun 15-Sep-13 20:36:48
ExitPursuedByADragon Sun 15-Sep-13 20:40:33

I agree. Some people are just so depressing.

applecrumbleandcream Sun 15-Sep-13 20:45:06

YANBU...... makes me feel physically sick hearing adults swearing at or in the presence of children. It's disgusting !!!

LostMarbles99 Sun 15-Sep-13 20:46:17

Go to marks and spencer

Gossipmonster Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:10

I have full respect to you for taking a pram into sports direct - the thought of it makes me feel sick ......

zoobaby Sun 15-Sep-13 21:04:23

A colleague once told me (and I've come to believe it) that there are some people out there who have no power/respect in their lives so they have to acquire what they deem to be "power/respect" through these types of behaviours.

CoffeeTea103 Sun 15-Sep-13 21:14:06

That woman sounds horrible. And yes large is large.

daisychain01 Sun 15-Sep-13 22:29:39

Gossip, I agree with you and you are DDDNBU. The thought that people are behaving like this and talking like this in a public place with children present is shameful. If that happened with my DS present I would have made sure I told him how awful they were, so he knows it is unacceptable behaviour.

I have thought for a long time that supermarkets should take greater control and police the store much more actively

Foul language, people walking in with no tops on, no shoes on etc in the summer, should result in the offenders being asked to leave the store until they can behave in an acceptable manner (preferably by a big burley security guard). Or failing that, physically ejected from the store!!

And I don't think gossip was mocking that woman's size, she was stating a fact in a reasonable way IMO.

Fabulousleonora Sun 15-Sep-13 23:24:21

Fully agree with daisychain01 - clearly a woman after my own heart! I have a real thing about men walking about without tops unless they are on the beach/at the swimming pool/spa etc. So unhygienic and uncivilised IMO and supermarkets should not allow them inside - but I digress.

Yes Gossipmonster, it is horribly depressing. Only today, popped into the big Tesco (where I virtually never step foot in, not for snob reasons, just all those aisles of choice flummox me) for a particular item. A Korean gentleman in front of me was rather dangerously putting his brolly down and walking with it pointing outwards. A man coming out of the store glared at him and mouthed of, saying 'F*ing idiot, f*ing dangerous etc etc'. Why he couldn't have simply said 'Watch your brolly, mate' or similar, I don't know, the brolly didn't actually go anywhere near him. It just seems now that it is accepted that people are going to swear in public, and we can't do a thing about it.

When my children were little (they are now teenagers), I remember automatically saying 'Excuse me' sharply to a teenager who swore in front of them - amazingly, he apologised! Wouldn't dare do this now, for fear of physical violence.

You do have to choose the shops and location carefully to hear less of this sort of thing - Waitrose, John Lewis, M&S - if you can afford it. Otherwise invest in some high-quality ear plugs smile

Yamyoid Sun 15-Sep-13 23:34:00

Sports direct treat their staff like shit. And it is hell with a buggy.

The size of trolley comment was a dig.

Agree with Pictish.

pigsDOfly Mon 16-Sep-13 00:00:06

This sort of thing really is depressing. In the park the other day, mother with 3 children eldest about 11, she's screaming in his face and swearing at him, he walked away from her across the park and as the argument continued he started shouting and swearing back at her; no respect on either side.

What hope is there for the children of that type of parent to grow up as polite adults. Pretty much nil I imagine.

Rockinhippy Mon 16-Sep-13 00:02:16

Lidl must have been shut grin

thistlelicker Mon 16-Sep-13 00:03:16

Primark is hell too

sleepdodger Mon 16-Sep-13 00:09:37

Asda
Nappy Aisle
'Taylor get the fuck off them nappies'
Taylor was about 8 and scaling the shelves shock
I usually shop at sainos or asda but the pampers jumbo boxes are much cheaper at asda... Reading that back I'm not sure it's actually worth it...

WahIzzit Mon 16-Sep-13 00:41:26

Yanbu op

Dh and I were in Asda, had dc in the trolley and looking at some item in the George section. Very little space between aisles, and didn't realise somebody needed to get past. He muttered 'fuckin move then', now I dont think I was supposed to hear it but I did. So I replied 'I heard that!' Dh wanted to know what was said so I told him before practically dragging him away as he was itching to pick an argument with the man. Honestly, cant take him anyway!

CeliaLytton Mon 16-Sep-13 00:58:08

YANBU

sleepdodger at least mum was attempting to stop Taylor scaling the shelves, you can't have everything!

BeCool Mon 16-Sep-13 01:16:13

Ocado have just given me free delivery for 2 months. I'm aiming to shop wisely and not go into a supermarket for two freaking months!! grin. Will get fruit and vege from stall near work.

What a blissful experiment!

<relieved>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now