To expect a cafe to be able to spell cafe au lait?

(176 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 15:32:24

On a picture on wall in said cafe. Spelt caff iau latt. Seriously.

What is wrong with these people?

There's a beauty salon near MIL's which is, apparently, "fully equipted". Makes me giggle every time.

beaglesaresweet Mon 23-Sep-13 11:07:29

Velvet, cup of chino! grin

Housemum Mon 23-Sep-13 11:00:29

I loved SRA cards! Wish they would bring them back, there were days I hated the topic on the card I had to do, but the achievement on getting to the next band was great.

There was a TV error recently on the Kirstie Allsopp programme (probably got her name wrong, one L or 2?) - the little heading for the next crafty section was "Kid's presents" - presumably one lucky child getting loads, though a bit unfortunate for the others as I think there was more than one child around.

I saw a BBC spelling mistake last Christmas - the little advert thing that comes up said, "Absolutley Fabulous". You'd think our licence fees would mean they could afford to spell check...

Catsize Sat 21-Sep-13 13:15:05

And inability to use strikethrough thingy

Catsize Sat 21-Sep-13 13:14:03

Emily, thank you. I actually really enjoyed them.
Applause on behalf of all teachers, and not just miserable witch Mrs M. is more than a geeky girl of the 80s could have asked for.--Please ignore poor use of tense and preposition at end of sentence--

Catsize Sat 21-Sep-13 13:09:26

Been on toast would have been worse! shock
Aperitif! grin

EmilyAlice Sat 21-Sep-13 13:05:18

On behalf of all primary teachers of the 1980s, I applaud your achievement, catsize. I would also like to apologise for the boredom caused.

complexnumber Sat 21-Sep-13 12:57:14

A café in Uxbridge (a fair few years ago) used to advertise 'Bean on toast'

I always thought that a bit mean.

EmilyAlice Sat 21-Sep-13 12:54:30

Yes, Science Research Associates. A friend of mine used to call it, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Workcard. SMP Maths was the other thing.
Talking of the eighties, my husband once asked for an aperitif in a restaurant. Waitress looked horrifird and came back with senior waitress to see if he really needed a pair of teeth.

Catsize Sat 21-Sep-13 12:51:09

I am still bitter I didn't get any recognition for my ridiculous swottiness SRA achievement.

Catsize Sat 21-Sep-13 12:48:10

beast, I have googled SRA - stands for Science Research Associates. However, it was all about reading, comprehension and grammar exercises. Seems they have been knocking about in schools since 1960ish. I was at primary school in the 80s.
Orange, I think we would have have been fierce rivals bestest friends at school.
Ruth, burn the place.

EmilyAlice Sat 21-Sep-13 12:47:50

SRA was a set of endless cards covering comprehension, spelling and grammar that we used to give to pupils in the eighties to keep them quiet on Friday afternoon. It stood for Scholastic something or other.

Beastofburden Sat 21-Sep-13 12:43:05

It's the misplaced apostrophe.

What is SRA??? stamps feet

Snog Sat 21-Sep-13 12:41:37

Café O'Lay is a charming alt spelling

RuthMacD Sat 21-Sep-13 12:36:45

A local fishing/clothing & fireworks shop advertises "Ace Fireworks Sold All Year for Bonfire Night, New Year, Partie's & Anniversarie's". I cringe every time I walk past!

PlotTwist Sat 21-Sep-13 11:54:07

I don't remember being taught grammar at school either, and it's something I struggle with as an adult (despite the fact I write as a hobby), I couldn't even point to what is wrong with the sentence I spent some time, to my childrens' horror and to the detriment of my thumb nail, scraping that apostrophe off. ... unless it's the misplaced apostrophe? Which I've just noticed.

Orangeanddemons Sat 21-Sep-13 11:38:31

Oh wow! SRA I remember those. I was the highest in the school < proud>. An achievement I've never since managed to match

madrudge Sat 21-Sep-13 10:10:36

At work - Camel Flarge trousers
Ill Eagles (seen lurking on the motorway)
Amber Lynn - (stolen portrait of..)

School trip print out - on the bottem shelf - I did point this out to the classroom assistant as a misprint - she shook her head and said that she spent half her time jumping up and correcting the misspellings of the teacher.

Beastofburden Fri 20-Sep-13 21:49:59

Nope, cat, I must be too old. What's SRA?

Catsize Fri 20-Sep-13 19:20:30

I am indeed a cunning linguist.
I also took it upon myself to complete every SRA card in the box (remember those?) at primary school.

Alicadabra Fri 20-Sep-13 17:22:15

DH was given a mug with lots of cricketing-related words on it. You know the sort of thing: "howzat", "wicket" and of course "bales". hmm

Now it's perfectly reasonably that someone without a cricket-obsessed partner might not know how to spell "bails", but you'd think that if someone was making a product specifically for people who are fanatics, they might just take a little time to get the spelling right. The fanatics tend to notice these things.

My other favourite: a birthday card with the legend inside "Enjoy you're birthday". It was the last one left, so presumably quite a popular choice... wink

Beastofburden Fri 20-Sep-13 15:49:12

MrsT It's certainly mine smile

beast I speak fluent Italian and good French. Maybe that is my new, go to pedantry excuse. I am a linguist. grin

MyLovelyMayoMammy Fri 20-Sep-13 15:19:01

Oh and as a young lass working in a gastro pub. I used to get Mediterranean wrong all the time. (Thank you auto correct). I didnt feel too bad though. The amount of local students I asked who got it wrong was amazing. Not to mention broccoli, Bolognese, lasagne etc.

MyLovelyMayoMammy Fri 20-Sep-13 15:14:49

My local caff sells 'sandwhiches' 'milkshacks' and 'sconnes'. I would stop going there but the bacon barms are amazing. Apparently the saturday girl made up the sign and she hasn't gotten around to changing it. The offers to do it for her have been overwhelming. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now