Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To expect a cafe to be able to spell cafe au lait?

(176 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 15:32:24

On a picture on wall in said cafe. Spelt caff iau latt. Seriously.

What is wrong with these people?

camelindasand Mon 16-Sep-13 15:30:16

earranades?

Penguin2 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:31:44

Hearing aids grin

Hope I am right about that!

Lweji Mon 16-Sep-13 15:43:30

A pub in town had "scorn" on the outside chalkboard menu last week. It was part of a list of vegetables you could have with a roast lunch

I suspect they cheeky staff actually meant scorn. grin

starfishmummy Mon 16-Sep-13 16:39:22

I used the self checkout at today and was surprised onset I had bought a "bluebery pack".

starfishmummy Mon 16-Sep-13 16:40:03

Oh bugger!!! Where did onset come from.

To see

poppysaid Mon 16-Sep-13 16:43:13

A small local village shop near me does a very ood Capperchino, couldn't care how they spell it if its hot and frothy - lots of places could pay more attention to the latter!

If I ever open a cafe, I will call it 'Cafe Ole' (with appropriate accents, can't find them on ipad) in honour of Mumsnet.

LucySnoweShouldRelax Mon 16-Sep-13 16:52:51

I nearly printed out forty menus at my pub, featuring a salad with green beens. I have an English degree. Even though I noticed in time, I've barely lived it down in my own mind.

As for pronouncing stuff like espresso and bruschetta correctly - when I lived in France, everyone played merry pronouncing hell with the English words they used, so I reckon fair's fair when the tables are turned.

But what do I know. I can't spell beans.

GoofyIsACow Mon 16-Sep-13 16:53:09

Our local pie shop sells Chicken and Leak pies! shock

nickelbabe Mon 16-Sep-13 16:57:17

i worked in a bookshop with a costa attached.
one of the baristas was of Italian descent, and she said the Pannini thing really wound her up, that it's one pannino, two pannini, and when people asked for two panninis, she had to bite her tongue every time.

(sorry, don't know how many ns, but it's the ending I'm talking about)

Sidge Mon 16-Sep-13 16:57:43

We had dinner in a lovely little pub restaurant recently where at the top of the typed-up menu "Gordon and Saliva welcomed us and hope we enjoyed the delicious local cuisine".

I'm hoping it was an autocorrect error for Sylvia and wondered why no-one had pointed it out to the staff!

MrsHoratioNelson Mon 16-Sep-13 17:00:35

Lucy it's a fine line between correct pronunciation and looking like a bit of a dick, isn't it grin

Visualise press and hold the letter and the accent options will be magically revealed!

Lweji Mon 16-Sep-13 17:01:38

If I ever open a cafe, I will call it 'Cafe Ole' (with appropriate accents, can't find them on ipad)

Try allowing a language that uses accents (say, French, or Spanish), then hold the letter for a bit, and accents show up for you to chose from.

Gaviguzzler Mon 16-Sep-13 17:05:35

Our local pub has celerica soup as a special quite often. They also do a very nice chicken sweker.

EmilyAlice Mon 16-Sep-13 17:12:54

Olé. Accents soooo easy on ipad. Just press and hold the letter and up they pop.

Brillig Mon 16-Sep-13 17:34:33

I was in a kitchen shop recently and they had boxes marked 'Mortar and Pestal' shock Seriously. These were proper manufacturers' boxes from a well-known kitchen utensil company. How the heck those had got through the whole process of designing, proof-reading and printing, I'll never know.

Delilahlilah Mon 16-Sep-13 18:13:31

I love the humour in spelling mistakes! Some are jaw droppers though! Recently I saw "wheelchair axcess..." on a sign in Dartmouth for the Regatta. Have also seen some greats: sweat and sour, the aforementioned chicken and leak, peasant pie, venison and blubbery pie, and many more. Apostrophes, or the lack of them, makes me twitch for a pen to correct the sign!

ems1910 Mon 16-Sep-13 18:45:51

Oops sorry, yes, hearing aids! :/

marsybum Mon 16-Sep-13 18:46:31

I used to drive past a shop on the way home from work that had a sign outside saying "sabi sheik" "brick a brack" and "anteeks" - I think it meant shabby chic, bric a brac and antiques? Strangely enough it's closed down now,I always wondered if the signwriting shop next door cringed or laughed...

Kidsarekarma Mon 16-Sep-13 21:17:51

Thanks to those who explained 'scorn' - I thought it might mean scone but couldn't understand how anyone would consider a baked item to be a veg choice grin

silkboots Mon 16-Sep-13 21:21:45

I saw a white builders van the other day and written on the side was great 'WORKMENSHIP' lol durrrr

OxfordBags Mon 16-Sep-13 21:51:19

Our local Sainsbury's has a sign over its white wine section declaring them 'great for party's'. "Great for parties that have or do what?", I have to stop myself from asking the nearest assistant, every time I see it.

Delilahlilah Mon 16-Sep-13 22:46:56

Ooh silk, you just reminded me! Local builder has his van sign written "Hastle free builders"

A sign in my old village read "slow children".
I always felt it was a bit mean! grin

Yonihadtoask Tue 17-Sep-13 09:21:55

The local café in town has a blackboard with far too many apostrophes.

If no one is looking, I do lick my finger and wipe them off

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now