To expect a cafe to be able to spell cafe au lait?

(176 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 15:32:24

On a picture on wall in said cafe. Spelt caff iau latt. Seriously.

What is wrong with these people?

Lweji Sun 15-Sep-13 15:36:00

A joke?

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 15-Sep-13 15:37:03

At least it wasn't café ole. Actually no. That worse.

Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 15:43:57

No, it wasn't a joke. It was a picture on a wall, that had coffee related phrases on it. So we had coffee, espresso, and the caff iau latt. I was hard pressed not to say anything

Did the sign say "espresso" because that is weird if they put "caff iau latt" and not "expresso".

sashh Sun 15-Sep-13 15:57:51

I wonder how many people have been in to tell them? And how many of them bought something?

MikeOxard Sun 15-Sep-13 16:16:16

Oh lay would've been better!

Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 16:16:47

I did check that it wasn't espresso, but it definitely wasn't! Don't think they would care if anyone told tem. It didn't seem that sort of place iykwim

mrspremise Sun 15-Sep-13 17:08:18

Im afraid I would have had to leave..! pulls up pedant pants

Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 17:56:09

I posted about the same place lastly ear, when our cakes arrived 20 minutes before the drinks. Its just a weird little place, i doubt they know how to spell sophisticated French words correctly grin

They only had squirts cream for the scones too angry

Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 17:56:26

Squirty....

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 15-Sep-13 18:11:20

I got corrected in a cafe the other week.

I asked for an espresso.

The woman replied "one EXpresso."

emphasis on the EX. Really pointedly and deliberately.

I just said yes, thank you.

It nearly killed me. grin But I didn't want to embarrass her by making a point of it.

Orangeanddemons Sun 15-Sep-13 18:15:29

I was once offered Napoleon ice cream instead of Neapolitan...

I've seen places boasting 'baggetts' with cheese and pickle..

Buzzardbird Sun 15-Sep-13 19:37:00

The 'latte' thing winds me up. It's Italian and is pronounced as it is spelled, not 'lartte'' there is no 'r'. I get corrected constantly by smug non-Italian staff.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 15-Sep-13 19:37:17

and then there are the panini's offered at the cafe near where my sister lives.

I always want to ask panini's what?

But of course, I can't, because it'll make them feel stupid and make me look like a wanker.

VelvetStrider Sun 15-Sep-13 19:42:21

I heard a man asking for a 'cup of chino' once! grin

Flossyfloof Sun 15-Sep-13 19:42:41

I am a linguist and sometimes go out with an ex-colleague, also a linguist. I hate it when she points things like this out - "I don't think you are really offering chocolate mouse, are you?" was the latest. I was so embarrassed, I felt it belittled the waitress and didn't make her look good. OTOH I can't really understand why you wouldn't make an effort to get spellings and punctuation correct, it isn't that hard to check.

WaitingForMe Sun 15-Sep-13 19:47:56

A pub in town had "scorn" on the outside chalkboard menu last week. It was part of a list of vegetables you could have with a roast lunch.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 15-Sep-13 19:54:41

oh, in the village where I live - Happy Hour 4-6

My husband had to physically restrain me from going home to get a piece of chalk and adding an 's' grin

Retroformica Sun 15-Sep-13 20:00:26

I love misspelling. Always adds a bit if laughter to my day.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 15-Sep-13 20:00:37

I had to stop and take a picture whilst on holiday a few weeks ago. There was a sign next to a cattle grid. It read "loose cattle drive carefully". Someone had taken a permanent marker and inserted the appropriate comma! It gave me a warm glow to see it!grin

Not food related, but in our local Matalan there was a hand written sign with Matalan spelt wrong!
I pointed it out and apparently the sign had been up a week and no one noticed!

Kidsarekarma Sun 15-Sep-13 20:04:14

WaitingForMe - what was the 'scorn'? confused

LongTailedTit Sun 15-Sep-13 22:20:10

Sweetcorn? S'corn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now