Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be pissed off that DP is making himself scrambled eggs on toast now, while I am making a roast chicken dinner for 1pm?

(80 Posts)
Shutupanddrive Sun 15-Sep-13 11:52:11

As well as being in my bloody way when I'm trying to prepare the veg!
He hasn't had any breakfast, so has decided to have scrambled eggs on toast now. 4 slices of toast and god knows how many eggs.
Aibu to think he should have had breakfast earlier?
Or just bloody wait?
Or at least have less food?
Don't know why I bother, grrr angry
He thinks it doesn't matter as long as he eats his lunch

DragonMamma Sun 15-Sep-13 12:15:47

I would be a bit annoyed if my DH did that and then wasn't hungry for lunch.

We don't ever eat at 1pm though, we stopped it years ago when we realised it was a massive hassle. We generally eat anywhere from 2.30-4pm and have brunch around 10.30ish

SilverApples Sun 15-Sep-13 12:16:20

You are cooking a full roast dinner for visiting relatives without a bottle to hand?
You are doing it wrong. Wine time was when you entered the kitchen.

Rooners Sun 15-Sep-13 12:16:32

I think I'd need to go back wayyy further in terms of context, at least till this morning or last night and why he didn't get up at a proper time.

Also if he knew yesterday that you were going to do this.

Rooners Sun 15-Sep-13 12:17:26

Is he being passive aggressive and trying to sabotage your meal/seeing your folks/etc etc

or is it just an accident?

JenaiMorris Sun 15-Sep-13 12:17:37

This would piss me right off. You're cooking a lovely lunch for everyone (including him) to enjoy and he's filling up on eggs and toast.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 15-Sep-13 12:17:44

Thoughtless and greedy. I'd be decidedly pissed off. If he needs something to keep him going, a bit of toast will do, and make a lot less mess.

QuarksInAPearTickle Sun 15-Sep-13 12:18:21

Yanbu I would and do get very cross at my DH for doing things like that!

Make sure he cleans up his mess without getting in your way!

Shutupanddrive Sun 15-Sep-13 12:18:47

Yes he knew yesterday. He has just been 'doing stuff'. Putting petrol in car, getting his stuff ready for work, on laptop etc

diddl Sun 15-Sep-13 12:19:26

I think though the faffing in the kitchen would piss me off.

And one slice of toast & no eggs would be plenty if lunch is an hr away?

Shutupanddrive Sun 15-Sep-13 12:20:24

No not passive aggressive, we all get on well. Just greedy and couldn't wait until lunchtime! Better go and open the wine set the table. Thanks for replies, back later smile

I'd be pissed off too, it's disrespectful of the effort you're putting in and the plans you've made for lunch. I imagine he'll tell you that he's not hungry just as you're serving the roast.

Shutupanddrive Sun 15-Sep-13 12:21:39

Did that strike through wrong way round but i'm sure you get the gist!

flipchart Sun 15-Sep-13 12:23:33

I really couldn't be bothered to get worked up about this at all.

Surely you can eat what you want.

I'm sure he will eat lunch as well and enjoy it.

Back off. If someone was annoyed because I was having a hungry day they would get on my tits tbh.

DoJo Sun 15-Sep-13 12:27:03

Well I wouldn't let my children eat an hour before a meal, so I don't see why he can't wait. Do you think of him as on a par with your children when it comes to doing things he is told?

mrsjay Sun 15-Sep-13 12:29:33

I would be majorly pissed off if my dh came in the kitchen to make something to eat an hour before dinner, especially if i was faffinf about with pots and pans it is thoughtless imo yes he is a grown up and yes he can eat what he likes but I dont get why he can't just wait it is a wee bit selfish too enjoy you rlunch though dont let him spoil it

digerd Sun 15-Sep-13 12:49:07

YABU. DM complained about Dad that every time she said dinner is ready he would disappeargrin
My dad never cooked. He washed up and ironed his own shirts in later life as DM moaned about the 14 + shirts a week she had to iron.

He's cooking it himself and not expecting you to . Men need lots of protein to keep those lovely muscles well fuelled smile

HangingGardenofBabbysBum Sun 15-Sep-13 12:54:39

I totally agree with OP. If he knew that lunch was at 1, and he's under your feet while you're coking, then the adult and civilised thing to do us to wait.

Actually, he should be helping you cook for the other guests.

It would annoy me; he's hardly likely to starve if he has to wait, it's passive aggressive bullshit.

Those who say OP is treating him like a toddler? He's acting like one. I want to eat NOW!!

Trade him in for an adult with good manners who appreciates food and your efforts.

And don't wash up his scramblies pan!

AaDB Sun 15-Sep-13 13:23:55

Yanbu. He is selfish, greedy and a pita.

If it isn't his house (and therefore not his eggs/bread etc) then that's doubly annoying.

But by doing this he is volunteering to wash up all the roast dinner pots, right? wink

teatimesthree Sun 15-Sep-13 13:41:12

I would be super annoyed by this. YANBU.

Idocrazythings Sun 15-Sep-13 13:51:45

Yanbu. Of course he is not on par with the children, but it's all about respect. Doesn't sound very respectful to me. I'd be really mad. Why couldn't he eat breakfast earlier if he has been up and pottering. Rude.

Cat98 Sun 15-Sep-13 13:54:26

YANBU! Would annoy me too.

LovesBeingOnHoliday Sun 15-Sep-13 13:58:17

I've had to learn to let this go with dh as he's tge same, think it comes from being hungry as a child.

I would be very pissed off if he didn't eat it if it was a big deal like yours with guests.

YANBU

Bloody rude!

flipchart Sun 15-Sep-13 14:05:54

To me this is small stuff and I wouldn't sweat it.
It's only food and as long as he eats his meal all is good.

I have been known to eat an hour before DH has put food on the table and the other way round'

I can't see how he is being disrespectful. Everyone who thinks so is making a drama over a couple of eggs and toast.

<shrug>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now