AIBU to think that this woman in the Chocolate Apothecary should be shot?

(37 Posts)
VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 22:49:10

She and her DH were at the counter selecting the twenty handmade artisanal chocolates which would cost them twenty quid when their DS who looked to be about six slid off the high barstool behind them onto the floor despite him being watched by his teenaged sister who reacted immediately.

He made a bit of a thump going down but didn't cry and the DH went straight over to check him BUT I was absolutely appalled that after a brief turn of head this sorry excuse for a mother just continued to concentrate on the merits of salted caramel, lime, rum and coconut, kirsch, strawberry and champagne pistachio, peanut butter, limoncello and amaretto chocolate instead of assisting her husband with their potentially but not upset or injured offspring. Spme people!

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 22:58:08

ALERT ALERT this is a thread about how I felt a bit judged by a staff member for continuing to choose chocolates while DH was dealing with a DCs needs.

Lighthearted responses r.e DC and things you love apart from those telling me this should have been in chat which I know and am sorry for sad

I have five, and if they aren't bleeding or on fire, they are fine.
Running to them exclaiming and cooing and panicking at the slightest little bump just makes them waily waily waily and drama kings/queens.
If they are really hurt they will let me know, but a little splat/bump/out of a tree/off their bike/scooter or something - nah.
yabu.

I would have looked the judger straight in the eye and said "I have 5 children and NO chocolate - what would you have me do????" with eyebrown raised wink

gobbynorthernbird Fri 13-Sep-13 22:59:45

I'd say she's got her priorities in the right order.

She could see he was ok, and her OH & DD were dealing with the boy. What's the problem?

gobbynorthernbird Fri 13-Sep-13 23:00:40

X-post.

Were the chocs yummy?

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 23:09:09

They are so treaty that they will last me a month grin

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 23:11:50

grin at five children and NO chocolate

MacaYoniandCheese Fri 13-Sep-13 23:28:55

grin Reminds me of the time DS2 (6) fell off the side of the shopping cart in the grocery store (which he does almost every time I bring him along because I encourage occasionally allow him to 'trolley surf' to pass the time). A member of staff witnessed the fall and told a supervisor who came to find us, mid-shop, to fill out an accident report confused. DS was clearly uninjured, did not cry and was apparently in rude health...

cakewitch Fri 13-Sep-13 23:31:15

You did the right thing. i would not have judged you.

mrspremise Fri 13-Sep-13 23:32:10

TBH, unless DS was actually on fire, with a stick in his eye, YANBU smile

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 13-Sep-13 23:32:57

Blood not spurting, nothing fallen off, they're fine. You know your own child well enough way before that age to know if they're hurt.

Floggingmolly Fri 13-Sep-13 23:33:02

Twenty chocolates will last you a month??? shock

BrianTheMole Fri 13-Sep-13 23:33:38

Fuck no. I wouldn't have judged you. He was still breathing, still alert and not crying. I would have done the same. Enjoy your chocolate.

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 23:41:34

Maca shock r.e the incident form.

gobbynorthernbird Fri 13-Sep-13 23:51:23

A month? Now you are most definitely BU.

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Fri 13-Sep-13 23:54:31

I did try to make a joke about potentially hurt child versus very good chocolate but still felt a bit judged. DS is autistic and I have had so much shit on a three day holiday that I don't think I'll bother again.

My AIBU was meant to lighthearted though. Like Daddy or Chips grin

I only go when I hear THAT scream...you know, the blood curdling, heart wrenching scream of a properly hurt child. Anything else is a 'learning experience'.

Mmm...chocolate... Great choice of flavours. I'm dead jealous envy

Well, he had a teenager sister and his dad looking out for him, you clearly needed to concentrate on chocolate.

Yabu on one account though. Lemoncello. Ugh. I love chocolate, I love lemon, but NOT together. <shudder>

kickassangel Fri 13-Sep-13 23:58:57

I hope you took full advantage of your dh being distracted to pick your favorites not his. Next time, take a pin and jab one of the kids so he asks them why they screamed, then cram a couple of chocolates in your mouth as he's looking away.

Hth.

bellabelly Fri 13-Sep-13 23:59:22

Ah. But you have a vagina. Therefore you are supposed to CARE when child/ children sort of hurts himself but not really. It's no good pointing to your DH who is dealing with it all fine. He doesn't have a vagina, you see.

Well, having one of those means she must care about chocs, too.

My dd used to start crying if I would run over to cover her embrassment if not bleeding and arms and legs not at wired angles or hanging off all fine enjoy your choclate

bellabelly Sat 14-Sep-13 00:06:03

Haha, yes that's true, Quint.

FutTheShuckUp Sat 14-Sep-13 00:06:16

This would have been me, DH would tell me off but meh, really. The kid was ok and the chocs sound amazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now