To enjoy sitting in my utility room when the washing machine is on?

(22 Posts)
CiderBomb Fri 13-Sep-13 13:46:01

I appreciate this might sound rather strange, but when I'm doing the laundry as I am today I enjoy taking a chair into the utility room with me and sitting there with a book. I find the white noise from the washing machine and tumble dryer relaxing and I feel I can really switch off for a while. I take the phone with me just in case someone urgently needs to get hold of me, but other than that its blissfully peaceful. No one else is home its just me, sometimes the dog will wander in and sit with me for a bit. But other than that I'm alone and relaxed.

Am I a weirdo?

Doesnotdrinkalcohol Fri 13-Sep-13 13:47:14

I shut the noise of the washer on spin out, does my head in you WEIRDO!

Are you sure you are not sitting ON the washing machine? smile

burberryqueen Fri 13-Sep-13 13:48:44

i can relate to that but i wouldn't bother with the book - just the sight of the clothes going round and round is marvellous...grin

reggiebean Fri 13-Sep-13 13:49:11

BettySwollocks That was my first thought when I read the subject grin

Buzzardbird Fri 13-Sep-13 13:50:21

One word...tinnitus.

CiderBomb Fri 13-Sep-13 13:50:56

Yes, I like watching the clothes go around as well. It's quite hypnotic. I don't sit on the washer though!

I know it does sound odd. I don't know anyone else who does it.

Mintyy Fri 13-Sep-13 13:51:15

I love the sound of my washing machine on the wash cycle! I find it really soothing. Not so fond of the spin cycle, obvs.

Massive envy at utility room you can sit and read in envy.

CiderBomb Fri 13-Sep-13 13:55:08

Minty it's not that big, it's quite pokey actually. Just enough room to squeeze a chair in though.

EstelleGetty Fri 13-Sep-13 13:58:00

YANBU! I have a washing machine at home, but take bed linen to the launderette at the university where I work (we don't have much space for drying). An average evening at the launderette goes like so: buy chips and Irn Bru from referectory on 3rd floor, go up to launderette on 4th floor, load washing, eat chips, pull out Chat magazine book, enjoy 1.5 hours of chomping, reading, solitude. BRILLIANT.

CiderBomb Fri 13-Sep-13 14:03:58

That's sounds like bliss Estelle!

HopeClearwater Fri 13-Sep-13 14:06:44

CiderBomb I had never thought of using the utility area (kind of poorly carved out of an integral garage) as a second reception room. Gonna find a chair and escape from the rest of them smile It'll be ok until it gets cold.

RobinSparkles Fri 13-Sep-13 14:13:49

I find the whirr of the washing machine quite soothing at times, which is good as it's on OFTEN in our house.

When it's not on and there's silence it feels odd, in fact, sometimes I hear it and then realise it's not actually on, iykwim!

OP, maybe it reminds you of being in the womb? Like when newborn babies will only sleep next to the washing machine or when the vacuum cleaner is on! grin

MovingForward0719 Fri 13-Sep-13 14:13:53

I can't turn the tumble dryer in in the day cos it makes me sleepy. My son used to fall asleep In his high hair when the washing machine was on. Last year our guineas lived in and I swear they used to purr when the washing machine was on (they were in the next room).

OctopusWrangler Fri 13-Sep-13 19:07:09

There was a launderette in the union building at uni, I used to use it at about 8PM when it was deserted. Me, all the laundry and a couple of books and a pint of vodka and coke from the bar. Got loads of exam prep done that waygrin

SmallSherryforMedicinal Fri 13-Sep-13 19:19:32

I love the washing machine, I too used to study with it on. My brother has a Hoover noise fetish (which I do not share). There are white noise CDs you can download to experience hair dryers, tumblers, washing machines etc without running up your electricity as my bro does hmm

Lj8893 Fri 13-Sep-13 19:25:01

You would love my flat. The whole flat vibrates when the washing machine is on. I'm getting a little bit worried now at 34 weeks pregnant that its going to bring on labour!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 19:31:54

It's not so much the noise I like - it's watching the clothes going round and imagining the dirt coming out. Satisfying

I'm sure this makes me sound very sad, or very deep

I love the sound too. Our sofa is near the washing machine and I love sitting watching the clothes spin round. The noise makes me sleepy. As does the hairdryer. I always fall asleep if someone is drying their hair near me grin

candycoatedwaterdrops Fri 13-Sep-13 20:26:32

I (apparently) used to love watching it as a baby, as a child I recall dragging a little chair so I could sit and watch it. I'm bit old for that now, although I do love washing clothes. grin

ControlGeek Fri 13-Sep-13 20:35:03

Oddly enough this came up in conversation today - my utility is full of crap but I figured if I ditched that, I could fit a chair in and enjoy life. I am jealous of you having done so - I too love white noise, and adore the sound of rain when I'm trying to sleep. DP gets annoyed that I open the window so I can hear it more!

wanderings Sat 14-Sep-13 12:57:14

I love it too. I even remember a machine my family had in the early 80's - instead of a soap powder drawer, it had a reservoir on top where you put powder, like a little sink; water would come out of a spout through the powder before being used! I've never seen any other machine like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now