Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be gutted that the Balloon Man's re-creation of the Up trip has failed?

(18 Posts)
Hassled Fri 13-Sep-13 13:22:48

Ok - so he wasn't going to South America. And he wasn't nearly grumpy enough. And I don't think there was an overweight cub scout in the lifeboat. But even so - it was Up!

Anyway, he's been forced to quit. What he needed (aside from the cub scout) was some evil talking dogs. And maybe a tragic love story as motivation.

I'm truly devastated.

lizzzyyliveson Fri 13-Sep-13 13:29:13

I seem to remember a priest trying this somewhere in America only he was never seen again. Very foolhardy and definitely tempting fate.

PoppadomPreach Fri 13-Sep-13 13:31:23

YABU to be "truly devastated" and "gutted".

Yes he had a great spirit of adventure, though it seems quite a foolish thing to do personally, and you can be disappointed on his behalf, but devastated?? Really??

Hassled Fri 13-Sep-13 13:42:39

Poppadom - I wasn't being entirely serious.

Catsize Fri 13-Sep-13 13:44:59

Oh no! Very sad. sad

PoppadomPreach Fri 13-Sep-13 13:48:34

Gah, second time in two days I've wrongly interpreted the sentiment. Sorry OP, continue with your angst!

Hassled Fri 13-Sep-13 14:16:57

grin at balloon angst!

It's my own fault for not asking the real question, which is AIBU to think that the mission would have succeeded if his destination had been Paradise Falls AND if he'd had a cub scout with him?

WowOoo Fri 13-Sep-13 14:26:20

Oh no! Yanbu.

I'm kind of glad it failed as ds1 and I were talking about it and I know he'd like to give it a go.
He's 7 and was seriously wondering how much helium he would need and how much it would cost.

Hassled Fri 13-Sep-13 14:29:16

Wiki tells me that a technical director on the film worked out that in order to make Carl's house fly, he would require 23 million balloons. Real balloon man only had 370. I reckon that's a clue as to why it failed.

HIBU and so are you. Helium is a finite and very precious resource. If I don't get an MRI when I need one because this irresponsible, balloon-loving jerk off used my helium allocation, I will be very mad. angry

Joking but not really joking.

BrokenSunglasses Fri 13-Sep-13 14:32:48

Yanbu!

I only heard about it on the news this morning, thought it sounded great, and was looking forward to showing the pictures to ds's and following his progress.

Then it was all over before ds2 was even awake! Gutted. He definitely needed a scout.

IEatDates Fri 13-Sep-13 14:34:04

I think Popadoms sense of humour went pop.

Hassled Fri 13-Sep-13 14:38:51

I had no idea whatsoever about the helium shortage, or what helium is used for other than balloons shock. Blimey.

BalloonSlayer Fri 13-Sep-13 14:49:02

< twirls moustache and laughs evilly >

Oh NO! DS absolutely loved the pic on the front of the paper today and I was looking forward to keeping him updated. Now I'm seriously sad too.

We couldn't have helium balloons at our village fete because of the helium shortage. Poxy world running out of finite supplies :0(

grin at BalloonSlayer.

Well! I had no idea that helium was used for anything else other than filling party balloons blush

You learn something new everyday on mumsnet.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 17:38:46

Heliums balloons at fetes - particularly the sort where you deliberately release them in the hope that you find out which went furthest is also a bad idea as animals, especially marine ones such as turtles, can fatally mistake them for a tasty snack. <second lecture over>

I guess as the 'pilot' is safe and well that means he's failed in his bid to win a Darwin Award?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now