To question my obstetrician's decisions?

(42 Posts)
NeedCurtains Fri 13-Sep-13 11:55:16

Due to have baby no 2 in few months, and have booked, like last time, a private obstetrician in a private wing.

Same dr delivered previous baby. birth ended in forceps and a very battered baby. I blocked the memory out for four years, but it is all coming back now.

We've booked the same consultant again, but as I think more about my son's birth, I feel maybe my labour was mismanaged (syntocinon, not being allowed to be mobile, epidural, theatre, failed ventouse, forceps), which lead to my son being so stuck.

My partner, however, feels our dr potentially saved our child's life in a difficult birth.

We have spoken to this dr about my concerns. He suggested some steps we could go through this time (finding ways to make me more mobile 'if possible', proceeding to c-section sooner if issues arise) but was detached and didn't seem to really be 'hearing' me. My partner pointed out that you are unlikely to get a 'touchy-feely' response from an obstetrician, and he is right. But that has just made me think that I should go down the independent midwife route instead (but with a hospital birth), as they would provide the emotional support I need.

I've met a team of independent midwives who are happy to be at my birth (obviously in a doula capacity once we get to hospital) and really understand my issues surrounding the previous birth. They are warm, kind and would provide the hand-holding I feel I need this time. My heart says this is what I need. However, my partner says he will support me, but he can't pretend to be happy with the decision. And I can't completely discount that.

I really wish someone could make this difficult decision for me, but I know it is mine to make. Any input would be great though.

Pickle131 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:01:00

At my hospital there is a brusque, arrogant obstetrician and an extremely compassionate one. Can you get a second opinion before ruling out a consultant led delivery? Mine believes complicated deliveries are safest with an obstetrician rather than a midwife.

nickelbabe Fri 13-Sep-13 15:03:36

he can't by law insist on something you don't agree with. you get the final say

It's not safer to induce a woman who is already in labour just because of meconium. yes, closer monitoring and keeping an eye on the baby (in case he breathes it in), but not induction.

and I agree with Poodle - NHS is brilliant.

could you get a friend to act as your birth partner instead? it sounds like your DH trusted the medics over your own instincts and it's hard to insist on your wishes if your birth partner isn't supporting you.

PS - i was overdue, older woman, and I had a homebirth with little interference, and although I had to have an episiotomy, it would have been much more interfered if i had been in hospital.

nickelbabe Fri 13-Sep-13 15:05:29

Pobble even... sorry Pobble blush

MissStrawberry Fri 13-Sep-13 15:12:38

Is it a situation where this man saved your baby but only after he had messed up first?

If you do go down the independent midwife route, be very very careful with your research. We booked one and it was an absolute nightmare plus she put my baby's life at risk. Back with the NHS they had serious words with the IM. I was not impressed to see her lauded on a programme last year.

That is obviously just one experience but please be more careful than we were.

Good luck.

Miserably Fri 13-Sep-13 15:16:47

I do think your DH deserves a say too, it's his baby and if, god forbid, complications arise, you don't want to be in a position where he will blame you.

No decent human being would behave in such a way, surely.

curlew Fri 13-Sep-13 15:17:37

I was an overdue (7 days) older woman (42) with a big baby (10lb6). None of these things means that interventions are inevitable or even likely.

Sack your consultant and find another one. And if you have a midwife led unit near you, go and have a look at that. And it sounds as if, whatever you do, a doula would be perfect for you.

NeedCurtains Fri 13-Sep-13 15:20:07

missstrawberry I think I saw the programme you're referring to. I want an independent midwife but not a home birth - I guess this is so I have someone there advocating for me alone and looking after me if the staff are under-resourced (someone with medical knowledge) but am very much in the safety of a hospital environment

I have just spoken to my local NHS hospital and have an appointment with midwife and hopefully will get to look round.

stubbornstains Fri 13-Sep-13 15:30:53

Everything I have ever heard leads me to believe that if the shit hits the fan, you are better off with the NHS, as they collectively have way more experience and facilities to deal with it.

Whether you get a sympathetic midwife or not seems to be a bit of a lottery (when DS was born, the ones I had were competent but not particularly pleasant)- maybe it's a doula you want, for the caring aspect?

SuperStrength Fri 13-Sep-13 15:34:46

I wouldn't have anyone involved in my care who doesn't communicate well with me. Not least as very well paid private obstetrician. I'm sure the hospital concerned would be interested in managing out anyone who doesn't understand how to communicate well with their fee paying customers. He doesn't deserve your custom. Just knowing i had to deal with this person again wouldn't put me in the right frame of mind to labour peacefully.

It sounds as though you have quite a few options open to you.
1\ Same hospital, different obstetrician
2\ Different private hospital & therefore different ob
3\ NHS hospital
4\ NHS hospital + doula or independant midwife

I'm sure that there is a compromise here that balances your concerns with your husbands concerns.

Best of luck :-)

MrsWedgeAntilles Fri 13-Sep-13 15:39:44

I haven't read the whole thread but something in your OP really struck me:
My partner pointed out that you are unlikely to get a 'touchy-feely' response from an obstetrician. Why not?
This is what the Francis report in the aftermath of Stafford is all about. Its no longer acceptable practice to deliver medical care without compassion. Why would you pay some one who isn't listening to your needs mega bucks to look after you at one of the most vulnerable time of your life?
I'd be looking for an other Obs if I were you.

NeedCurtains Fri 13-Sep-13 16:11:54

Some great advice here, thank you
Feeling a lot better about trusting my instincts

fridgealwaysfull Fri 13-Sep-13 16:49:48

Trust your instincts, you are the one giving birth. The last thing you want is to be in labour and worried/scared that you've made the wrong decision

thebody Fri 13-Sep-13 16:55:56

hi op just wanted to point out that know 2 births are the same. my dc1 was back to back and I had forceps and trauma.

ds 2 was quick easy and I can honestly say I have had worse period pains.

good luck in your decision.

Loa Fri 13-Sep-13 17:03:34

I have just spoken to my local NHS hospital and have an appointment with midwife and hopefully will get to look round.

Good start, also look round to see what other private obstetrician you could use.

If your not happy with the NHS has to offer - and IME it can be very patchy - brilliant to not very good - there is no reason to buy services that are not what you want.

I was going to say why not get a doula rather than an inedpendent midwife as the hospital midwife will be in charge but either a doula or the independent midwife will be an advocate for you, the midwife you get in hosptial should also be an advocate for you. I think involving an obstetrician in a normal pregancy would make it more likely to end in intervention, however if you feel more confident with an obstetrician then you have to do what feels right for you. There are a lot of decisions which you need to make, someone up thread mentioned ina may gaskin, if you have time for a good book birth matters is a fantastic read about the medicalisation of child birth in america, spiritual midwifery has some amazing birth stories which can really give you confidence. Good luck whatever you decide to do smile

minionmansion Fri 13-Sep-13 20:12:31

Looking at the local NHS hospital sounds like a good idea.

In my opinion, as a doctor, if thing go wrong, you are safer with NHS care. I don't think there is any major advantage of private care over NHS so personally think of it as a total waste of money.
However, there are people for whom £10,000 is a drop in the ocean and therefore choose to have a personal Obstetrician whom they can have on hand and on the end of a phone for any minor queries, which would normally go through a midwife. They get their hand held a lot more than would be available in the NHS, more frequent appointments, scans, etc. Then, of course, you get the trimmings like the large private room, the champagne to celebrate, etc. Fair enough if you have a preference for that but it won't guarantee you are more natural birth nor a safer birth which seems to be what you would like.

The chances of a straightforward, quicker delivery are much higher with your second child so try not to worry to much.

KaFayOLay Fri 13-Sep-13 21:33:00

My boss and his wife have 4 children. First 3 born in private medical care. Last one NHS. She felt her last birth was by far the best even though none of them were problematic. She wishes she'd saved her money!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now