Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think oh "STFU" and give no further consideration to this "parenting concern" from ds's Dad?

(121 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Fri 13-Sep-13 11:46:13

Apparently he is "concerned" that ds eats coco pops for breakfast twice a week as its nothing more than "sugary air". Ds usually has eggs or bacon or toast on the other days but these coco pops are a REAL issue apparently. We have had two heated phone calls about it in the last 24 hours hmm.

He's my ex by the way.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 13-Sep-13 11:48:17

Well, they are "sugary air", albeit fortified with vitamins.

Are you really arguing about the breakfast, or about something else?

WorraLiberty England Fri 13-Sep-13 11:48:37

How old is your DS?

It sounds as though he might not believe it's only twice a week?

pianodoodle Fri 13-Sep-13 11:48:39

How old is DS?

I'd be saying "wind yer neck in" whether dad was an ex or not probably smile

Sparklysilversequins Fri 13-Sep-13 11:49:35

Ds is 10. And it IS only twice a week if that as he's not a big cereal eater.

SofaKing Fri 13-Sep-13 11:50:12

I,would sweetly agree, then swap them for pop tarts. They are more than air and sugar, they are sugar, fat and scorch risk in one convenient package!

moondog Fri 13-Sep-13 11:50:13

Dads can't win can they?

extracrunchy Fri 13-Sep-13 11:52:09

Haha moondog I was going to say exactly the same thing...

Sparklysilversequins Fri 13-Sep-13 11:52:11

What's it got to do with being a Dad? Should I have said ds's other parent so there could be no accusation of gender bias?

Mumof3xx Fri 13-Sep-13 11:54:12

Really? That's pathetic

I've seen kids who get given a chocolate bar for breakfast now that I would complain about

We always have about 3 cereals to choose from ds1 tends to go for weetabix but ds prefers something chocky

moondog Fri 13-Sep-13 11:54:33

You mentioned the father.
People come on here and whinge that dads don't give a shit.
Then they whinge when they do.
It's all so exhausting.

treas Fri 13-Sep-13 11:54:41

Well he's right shock - they have no nutritional value.

What if you had an issue with something your ex was doing with you dc - would you put up and shut up or raise it as a concern?

YouTheCat Fri 13-Sep-13 11:54:46

This one is being a cockend. It's nothing to do with being a dad and everything to do with exerting control.

JakeBullet Fri 13-Sep-13 11:56:04

Depends....I hate chocolaty and sugary cereal with a passion....DS naturally LOVES it so it is a real "once in a while" thing....MIL keeps a box when he stays there.

If it isn't an every day thing then I don't see an issue with it personally.....not that this is what you are asking anyway.

Is this a power struggle over something else.....just him being difficult? Or is he usually pretty good and expressing genuine concern.

I am on good terms with DS's Dad and we can talk and agree/disagree things easily But I know some men are very awkward with their ex partners/wives and when all else fails will criticise the parenting.

burberryqueen Fri 13-Sep-13 11:57:32

well he is right that they are crap but on the other hand it seems a bit cheeky or controlling for him to dictate what you serve for breakfast.
sorry that is not much help grin
start serving gruel.

YouTheCat Fri 13-Sep-13 11:57:48

So long as your ds isn't having to forage in bins for food, what you feed him when he is with you is between you and your ds.

When he is at his dad's then that is his concern and none of yours.

JakeBullet Fri 13-Sep-13 11:58:07

I think the issue is whether he is expressing genuine concern and caring or if he is attempting to wind up the OP by being an arse. Sadly there are plenty of men out there like that.

HeySoulSister Fri 13-Sep-13 11:58:50

What does he feed him when he has him?

Mumsyblouse Fri 13-Sep-13 12:01:48

I guess if you don't comment on his parenting, he shouldn't on yours. However, my husband does comment on things like crap cereal even though I do continue to serve the less sugary ones, he hates cereal and does offer alternatives himself when it is his turn to do breakfast/I'm away.

BrianTheMole Fri 13-Sep-13 12:02:24

Well its not a great breakfast really. Do you normally get on with ex about parenting decisions?

NatashaBee Fri 13-Sep-13 12:05:03

I would ask him for a menu plan every time your DS goes there, so you can review the nutritional content and suggest healthy alternatives for anything you don't approve of.

Hawkmoth Fri 13-Sep-13 12:08:39

Wagon Wheels are better.

ImpulsePineapple Fri 13-Sep-13 12:08:44

Can you just not tell him it's none of his business what happens in your house, and that you will not interfere in what happens at his house, then refuse to engage.

Why are you talking to him on the phone twice in 24hrs? Seems excessive.

OP, I think I understand. If he's implying you're a shit parent because you give him Coco pops twice a week, tell him to call SS.

Let's hope their laughter down the phone doesn't hurt his ears too much.

If he's genuinely concerned about the Coco pops, then maybe a compromise can be reached?

PartyOrganisor Fri 13-Sep-13 12:10:00

Well as a parent I would really grumble if my dc were given that sort of stuff. That would really annoy me as I see that sort of stuff as just sugar, additives and more sugar.

So I do understand where the father is coming from.

The question is: Is his dad really into healthy eating? If this is just a one off comment/stand off, then yes YANBU as he is clearly looking to create problems.
If he is really keen to healthy eating, would never give his dc cereals like this, would cook food for him etc. Then YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now