To like spiders?

(28 Posts)
Kasterborous Fri 13-Sep-13 11:41:44

I find them interesting and after all they do catch flies! There is one with a huge web outside our kitchen window and I watch it while I wash up. It was wrapping a fly up the other day and it was really interesting to watch. If they come in the house I catch them and put then back outside.

gordyslovesheep Fri 13-Sep-13 11:43:07

why would you be unreasonable for liking something?

I can't stand them but it's neither reasonable or unreasonable to feel something grin

MadameOvary Fri 13-Sep-13 11:44:09

Nope. I love them.

Feminine Fri 13-Sep-13 11:44:12

Well in our local area, someone is offering a free box of them on gumtree!

NoMoreMadCatLady Fri 13-Sep-13 11:46:23

Please come here & take your friends with you when you leave.
Bloody spider season here.
Fast, huge, fanged buggers who race across the living room at high speed & snarl & jump when you catch them. It's like a spider playground here at night.
DH very unreasonably catches and removes them outside, which is a) not killing them and b) still releasing them in the same county so they could be back in 2 minutes If he did squash them we'd need a new carpet as they are huge.

MarilynMoanroe Fri 13-Sep-13 11:47:52

I want to like them but they truly terrify me.

Kasterborous Fri 13-Sep-13 11:55:09

It just seemed to be AIBU because a lot of people don't seem to like them. Personally a hate earwigs, there are loads of them in our garden shudder

JakeBullet Fri 13-Sep-13 12:04:45

I am most unreasonably and illogically scared of them....as is DS. However, I find them fascinating and would never ever intentionally kill one.

When the weather was boiling last week I was amused to see the number making their way indoors......they obviously KNEW the weather was about to be shit.

Anyhow.....for all you spider lovers out there...Spiders on Drugs....enjoy grin

LaBelleMadamePingouinSansMerci Fri 13-Sep-13 12:07:32

I love spiders! We have three living in the bathroom at the moment, and I've given them all names- Frank, Lillian and Maude.
I have no idea if their names are gender appropriate or not.

Ninehoursahead Fri 13-Sep-13 12:14:51

YABU they are evil evil things.

And that crap about them eating flies and such like is total bollocks, just spider propaganda to make you like them. I won't fall for that, no way!

Some of them can kill you know!

I like them. I saw my first wasp spiders last week, they were huge and beautiful.

Ezio Fri 13-Sep-13 12:16:56

YABU, They have a plot to take over the world, they have human slaves, you know who you are.

<eyes thread suspiciously>

Kasterborous Fri 13-Sep-13 12:17:59

JakeBullet thanks for that link its hilarious! grin

GobblersKnob Fri 13-Sep-13 12:19:26

Spiders on drugs is genius grin

liquidstate Fri 13-Sep-13 12:23:00

I have several spiders in my house, they nicely much away on the flies for me. They also have names, including Percival who lives in the shower! Nice to see I am not the odd one in that respect. I really don't understand people who shriek and run away when they see one.

I hate daddy long legs but I don't scream, I just kill them. Spiders are more useful alive though so I let them be.

Ezio Fri 13-Sep-13 12:25:52

Daddy long legs are like spiders with wings,

Fucking irritating, yes im talking about the bastard that was in my bath.

YouTheCat Fri 13-Sep-13 12:28:21

Love spiders. There are two fat female garden spiders on my Rhododendron bush. grin

MyBaby1day Sat 14-Sep-13 04:44:09

YANBU smile, they are innocent creatures (and cute in their own way)! grin

mrspremise Sat 14-Sep-13 04:50:28

Not at all. People like us (who are not afraid of spiders) are important; if we didn't exist, spiders would rule the world, grin

DropYourSword Sat 14-Sep-13 05:10:39

Yabu. What kind of freak are you?! wink

meganorks Sat 14-Sep-13 05:15:45

YABU
I used to be really scared, then I started getting over it s bit and finding them interesting....right up until I had a massive one on my neck! Worse I was a home when it happened! Give em an inch....

goldierocks Sat 14-Sep-13 06:50:24

I love spiders....so much so, I have three pet tarantulas, one of which is pregnant! Very excitedsmile

Interestingly, I used to get a lot of very large house spiders (Victorian house). Don't get any now - although getting a tarantula to avoid house spiders is probably a drastic solution....smile

ipswichwitch Sat 14-Sep-13 07:25:07

You are not being unreasonable, however I wouldn't consider myself unreasonable to call you to come and get rid of the feckers that keep trying to move in here. They're bloody enormous - even the cat won't eat them. I almost vomited on one the other day, it was hideous (shudder)

I have a deal with a guy at work - he disposes of spiders and I deal with wasps/bees. Seems only fair to me.

littlewhitebag Sat 14-Sep-13 07:40:34

I think they are lovely. We have some at the moment with striped legs which spin the most amazing webs. My DD and I watched one the other day which was on the outside of the sitting room window. It was spinning its web and we could see it pulling the webby stuff out and creating its masterpiece. DD said it was just like Spider-Man but for real. Awesome.

JakeBullet Sat 14-Sep-13 07:47:29

I love watching the stripey garden spiders at work.

I have seen them in reverse actually consuming web before moving on. Apparently some of them clean up after themselves. Guess other species must just be web sluts....spinning their webs then buggering off to pastures new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now