Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be upset at something on educating Yorkshire?

(305 Posts)
Lampshadeofdoom Fri 13-Sep-13 11:09:10

I understood they had to suspend Jac for punching someone.

But they made it very clear Jac was a "geek" who had been bullied most of his school life.
In the incident he went at Georgia she stamped on his head, called his mother a slag and then lied to head teachers face and yet he recieved isolation for three days and anger management she wasn't punished at all.

I remember the video on here of the autistic lad being goaded into lashing out and also the same happened with my nephew and as a mother of a dd who has been bullied her whole school life it really upset me. Jac could have been my dd.

I appreciate it was a snapshot not full story.

Lampshadeofdoom Fri 13-Sep-13 11:10:29

I know she was suspended later and lost prom but that was for a different issue.

buttermellow Fri 13-Sep-13 11:13:12

I know no-one likes an armchair diagnosis but several times he came across - Jac did, I mean - as being on the spectrum. Is he, did they mention it? I missed the first half hour or so.. He spoke at times very like Dsis who's on the spectrum..

buttermellow Fri 13-Sep-13 11:14:29

I did say that I'd be blimmin chuffed with him for thumping and that if the bullies had an issue they might simply think twice about their actions..

Floralnomad Fri 13-Sep-13 11:17:13

I think the point was that he had been supported by the school with his anger issues and knew how to respond ie report to a senior member of staff and the bottom line is whatever the provocation you don't punch someone in the face . As the head pointed out ,if you did it outside of school you will end up arrested .

bigTillyMint Fri 13-Sep-13 11:17:43

YANBU. I, and my DC's who are at secondary school, felt that she "got away with it" She should have had a punishment.

He had obviously been bullied for years - for being a quiet, hard-working boy by the sounds of itsad

chocoluvva Fri 13-Sep-13 11:20:47

There's another thread about this programme that might interest you in Chat.

Lampshadeofdoom Fri 13-Sep-13 11:21:01

I understand the punching discipline. I am refering to the first incident with Georgia. She recieved no punishment for admitting she might of stamped on his head, she lied about calling his mum a slag. He was put in isolation.

Lampshadeofdoom Fri 13-Sep-13 11:22:07

X post, will go look thanks choc.

Feminine Fri 13-Sep-13 11:22:56

I was really upset too.

I saw clips of that show (before watching) and had convinced myself it was a spoof!

Those teen girls look like men in drag.

Canthisonebeused Fri 13-Sep-13 11:30:52

Pure and simple they appeased her because they are afraid of her shouting and kicking up a stink. It was absolutely despicable to treat this boy in this way. The supposedly anger management appeared to do nothing but gaslight him and convince him he is a time bomb with anger manage not issue.

Sadly both of these children Georgia and Jac were being let down by this school as far as I'm concerned.

LifeofPo Fri 13-Sep-13 11:33:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlemslazybones Fri 13-Sep-13 11:34:32

I found that upsetting too. I was so cross that he was guided to the conclusion that he was a ticking time bomb by the teacher carrying out the anger management. That school failed him by their inability to effectively curb the bullying which he had experienced for years and then made him the bad guy. Well I'd be lashing out too if forced into a hostile environment and had to deal with the drip, drip, drip water torture of humiliation day in, day out.

SmallTorch Fri 13-Sep-13 11:37:15

Her punishment is the world seeing and judging?

Spinkle Fri 13-Sep-13 11:39:46

I thought that lad seemed like he might be on the spectrum. I don't have an anger issue, but I would've done exactly the same as him.

She seemed like the typical overreacting teenage huffer and frankly knew she had that head sweating.

Feminine Fri 13-Sep-13 11:40:37

kids like Georgia have always been around.

I feel no sympathy. The school had obviously tried for years to help her-she didn't want it.

Feminine Fri 13-Sep-13 11:42:22

Originally I quite liked the Head. After yesterday ( not so much) I got the impression he was almost impressed with Georgia.

softlysoftly Fri 13-Sep-13 11:47:00

The school has really really exposed themselves because they needed to know they were shit hot before agreeing to filming.

They aren't, their discipline was wholly unfair and based on who would comply.

And Georgia was a clasdic example of a girl told she's always right by mummy dearest who will "kick off". She never stood a chance and I truly hope the college is better for Jak poor lad.

softlysoftly Fri 13-Sep-13 11:48:38

Feminine I got that too, be called her "charismatic" ffs and pretended to be scared of telling her she couldn't go to prom hmm

Spinkle Fri 13-Sep-13 11:51:31

Believe me, I see plenty of Georgia-esque behaviour from yr4 onwards.
It's not right but keep going on and
these sorts just wastes the other pupils' time. They don't want to learn and don't give a monkeys about others learning.

Canthisonebeused Fri 13-Sep-13 11:52:30

Softly I think he was scared of telling her, he apologised and at the end said that is was because it would be unfair on others who have been excluded, almost setting her above those others. He than asked her if that was OK. FFS. He didnt want her kicking off on camera because he knows neither he nor his staff have the ability to manage this.

Spatsky Fri 13-Sep-13 11:53:13

Coming out of long term lurking agree with you op.

Also, the head is David Brent IMO.

jeee Fri 13-Sep-13 11:54:44

I assume parents have to consent to their child being on this kind of TV?

I would be furious if I found out my child's school was being filmed for this kind of thing. I can't believe that it will be anything other than negative for their education. Will the school really be focusing on anything other than the cameras?

And if a child misbehaves on camera it's going to follow them about for the rest of their life.

Lorelei353 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:56:24

I love how his friends rallied around and all went to the head to make his case with him though. I'd be proud if I were any of their parents.

Mandy2003 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:58:59

I liked the way Jac's friends rallied round him and they all went to see the senior teacher to say it was unfair. I am pretty sure he's on the Autistic Spectrum too, but I don't think it's been said whether he's been diagnosed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now