Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

There but for the grace of God Mr Gove

(22 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Thu 12-Sep-13 21:12:57

you cunt

www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/11/food-bank-britain-didnt-ask-be-ill

Just unbelievable!! angry I am not going to comment, too angry

HedgeHogGroup Thu 12-Sep-13 21:14:49

The man is an idiot, no more, no less... an idiot.
If you think what he said this week is bad, you should work in education - we've had 3+ years of this particular brand of bollocks sad

gallicgirl Thu 12-Sep-13 21:14:51

I think you got it right with your first comment.

Garcia10 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:15:04

Hopefully he will persist in spouting such utter garbage and Cameron will be forced to remove him from government. We can but hope.

Sirzy Thu 12-Sep-13 21:15:57

He is an idiot.

Ok SOME people may have made bad choices which contributed to them being in a poor situation currently but even if that is the case they still deserve to eat.

All this does is work right into the hands of the idiots who believe everyone on benefits is a lazy scrounger and shows how clueless Gove is.

friday16 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:31:40

Gove's actual quote is rather different to what he's being blamed for saying.

"I had the opportunity to visit a food bank in my constituency only on Friday and I appreciate that there are families who do face considerable pressures. It's often as a result of some decisions that have been taken by those families which mean that they are not best able to manage their finances. What we need to do is to ensure the support is there not just financially but also to make sure that the right decisions are made."

Although one might replace "often" with "sometimes", that statement is nothing like as incendiary as is being made out. I don't quite see how Sirzy's accurate statement "Ok SOME people may have made bad choices which contributed to them being in a poor situation currently but even if that is the case they still deserve to eat." is in any conflict with what Gove actually said.

SuffolkNWhat Thu 12-Sep-13 21:33:48

of·ten
/ˈôf(t)ən/
Adverb
Frequently; many times: "how often do you have your hair cut?".
In many instances: "vocabulary often reflects social standing".
Synonyms
frequently - oft - oftentimes

Seems pretty clear to me what he is saying.

roundtable Thu 12-Sep-13 21:37:32

I don't think he's an idiot, I think he's an uncaring twat.

He's trying to claw his way to notoriety. Arsehole.

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:38:35

He didn't actually respond to the question about what the Government was doing.

lizzzyyliveson Thu 12-Sep-13 21:43:25

Disgusting. He spends more than some of us make in a year on furnishings for his second home and all on expenses given to him as an MP. How he can sleep at night defeats me. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5305434/Michael-Gove-flipped-homes-MPs-expenses.html

LEMisdisappointed Thu 12-Sep-13 21:51:01

friday - i have just read your quote of what he said as i hadn't actually read it before, thankyou for enlightening me.

I still think he is a cunt

friendslikethese Thu 12-Sep-13 22:10:34

I don't agree with Gove's education policies, however I agree with Friday on this.

Silvercatowner Thu 12-Sep-13 23:32:22

What he is doing to teacher training is awful. And we are going to need to train more teachers in the next few years. He's destroying systems that won't be easily put back together.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Fri 13-Sep-13 02:05:26

The full quote doesn't change the thrust of what he said. He's a clueless wanker. Horrible shitty ignorant thing to say.

BeeWi Fri 13-Sep-13 02:47:19

I can certainly think of one poor choice a lot of people in his constituency made in 2010. Perhaps that's what he's referring to?

catgirl1976 Fri 13-Sep-13 07:09:42

shock

there's just no words for people who can see poverty on that level and then smugly blame those people for their own problems

cunt comes close though

SuperiorCat Fri 13-Sep-13 07:13:24

Yes Beewi you're right

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 13-Sep-13 07:21:59

Cunt or not, is what he said factually incorrect?

I recently fell and broke my arm, which means no cleaning for a couple of months. Huge financial ramifications for my family. This happened at the same time my husband was forced to take a massive (33%) pay cut.

Of course, it was an accident. But, I neglected to A) build up a safety cushion of savings, and B) buy Loss of Income insurance.

I don't think we'll end up at a food bank but if we do, these bad financial decisions will be part of the reason why.

AnneTwacky Fri 13-Sep-13 07:42:24

Katy, I'm guessing you've not read the article.

Even if you have, you can't judge every situation by your own experience. Not everyone can afford to save or buy loss of income insurance as they're just not earning enough beforehand.

Jinsei Fri 13-Sep-13 07:55:39

But Katy, isn't that the point? Unexpected shit can crop up and hit people without any warning, and not everyone can afford insurance or savings etc.

kim147 Fri 13-Sep-13 07:57:29

The pay cut - was it due to the current financial situation - not your fault.

No savings - hardly anyone has any savings at the moment because the cost of living is just so expensive.

<Hope your arm gets better. I am also self employed so I fear an accident as well>

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 13-Sep-13 08:07:57

I did read the article.

I could afford insurance. I have all kinds of insurance, and Loss of Income would have been peanuts to add. I just forgot. But, it was my responsibility.

My husband was lied to by his employer, promised lovely things in order to keep him at a job for a while. I can't type it all out. He neglected to get anything in writing and got screwed. And he's out of a job entirely in six months.

Meanwhile, we spent money on fun stuff and didn't pay debts aggressively.

If we end up at the food bank, I could tell a very sad story about accidents and being deceived, but the fact is that we made choices that weren't wise and neglected to do some basic stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now