Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that my 6 year old is starting puberty?

(17 Posts)
busymumster Thu 12-Sep-13 20:09:27

My daughter is 6, nearly 7, and I am beginning to wonder if she is starting to go through puberty (changes to her body, starting to sweat, occasional moods swings etc).

I know that sometimes girls do, but I still can't help feeling a bit surprised as she is so young.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and have any advice? Any good books to recommend to help explain it to her?

waltzingmathilda Thu 12-Sep-13 20:15:28

Revolutionary - see your GP - do not rely on some anecdotal stories on the internet. Highly unlikely shes having a precocious puberty.

purpleroses Thu 12-Sep-13 20:17:24

I think 6 is a bit abnormally young. Mood swings could be anything but breasts or hairy bits, then probably a trip to the GP is a good idea. They can give them medications to slow down puberty when it's that young.

My dd started sweating around that time and the mood swings (although they vary. She's now 8 and asked this summer for a crop top as she is more conscious of her body changing (that and her older cousin has them).

Children are developing earlier unfortunately but we found the usborne book what's happening to me? really useful.

AnyoneforTurps Thu 12-Sep-13 20:21:31

Yes, see your GP (I'm a GP) but don't panic - I'd say I see 2-3 girls like this per year and have only ever had one who was genuinely having precocious puberty. Your GP can arrange hormone blood tests and, if necessary, a paediatric referral.

gordyslovesheep Germany Thu 12-Sep-13 20:27:01

do see your GP - to be sure it's all okay

DD2 had pubic hair at 7.5 and I was told this was normal - she's 9 now and still no periods (although we have acne, greasy hair, mood swings, little boobs and more pubes!)

don't worry but do get it checked x

pointythings Netherlands Thu 12-Sep-13 20:35:45

Both of mine had horrible mood swings and started having whiffy pits, but body hair and boobs - not yet. I'd get her checked out just in case, but neither of mine have started their periods yet - they're 10 and 12, and the 12yo is 5ft 6, bordering on a B-cup and has a definite figure.

Rufus43 Thu 12-Sep-13 20:42:47

Friends of mine has two daughters both of whom started puberty early, I would echo the others and advise the GP. They can confirm it one way or the other

busymumster Thu 12-Sep-13 20:48:05

Many thanks for your advice.

AnyoneforTurps - would you advise that I take her with me to the GP or just go for a chat without her. The last thing I want to do is make her self conscious!

gordyslovesheep Germany Thu 12-Sep-13 21:02:05

I went to the GP alone if that helps

BerniceBroadside Thu 12-Sep-13 21:41:19

You could ask for a telephone appointment and then arrange to take your dr in if necessary?

BerniceBroadside Thu 12-Sep-13 21:45:04

Sorry, take your daughter, not your dr.

AnyoneforTurps Fri 13-Sep-13 08:45:43

At 6, if you use suitably grown-up terms, you could probably describe the concern without embarrassing her but - as Bernice says - you could arrange to ring first.

More importantly, you must prepare her for the fact that the GP will need to examine her, including (probably) looking at her genitals. What often seems to work well is a discussion in advance about how some bits of the body are private, but nurses & doctors need to look at the private bits to make you better. Maybe read Dr Dog to her becausr he deals with bottims! Reassure her that you will be with her the whole time. You might want to rehearse, depending on whether you think this will make her more or less nervous. All the GP will need to do is a quick peek at her chest, armpits and genitals.

AnyoneforTurps Fri 13-Sep-13 08:46:40

Bottoms, not bottims. Curse you, Ipad smile

intitgrand Fri 13-Sep-13 08:50:04

how much does she weigh?

Buzzardbird Fri 13-Sep-13 12:11:36

Not sure about the sweating but I can tell you that mood swings are completely normal in a 6 yr old going by my DD and every single one of her friends. Really.

SuperiorCat Fri 13-Sep-13 12:22:50

Might be worth taking a look through the pre-teens or children's health section, there have been lots of threads about early puberty with lots of helpful info from people who have been through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now