Prince William to leave the armed services

(260 Posts)
baffledmum Thu 12-Sep-13 12:07:19

I am a fan of the monarchy but this has just made me stop and think...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24065166

Hmmm – not going to a “full time royal” = part-time royal then. What's he doing with the rest of his time?

I'd be happy to give up my job to focus on royal work and charity duties if someone can tell me where to apply! Or am I just being mean and unreasonable that he can afford to? envy

curlew Thu 12-Sep-13 16:00:23

Happy to leave them alone. The very minute they stop spending tax money.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 16:00:47

I doubt very much many self respecting women are jealous of her.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 16:04:23

I probably would live a life of idle luxury if I could-at my own expense, though!

StitchingMoss Thu 12-Sep-13 16:06:45

Wannabe, I love that someone always pops up on this thread and claims the critics are just "jealous" but then at the same time I'm often told "you'd never want her life". I'd bloody love her life - and given she relentlessly pursued that life I'm guessing she wanted it too!

Misspixietrix Thu 12-Sep-13 16:07:04

Actually I wouldn't. Having to constantly watch what I do and say. Wouldn't swap places for the world smile

StitchingMoss Thu 12-Sep-13 16:07:04

"These" threads

curlew Thu 12-Sep-13 16:07:05

Funny how people on benefits get a hard time for living off the state- even if they spend very day volunteering in a charity shape, while others.......

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:07:08

The cynical part of me thinks they only do charity stuff because it's expected of them as part of the deal of being in the privileged position of being a Royal.

If they had the wealth - but none of the Royal expectations, would they be as involved?

But maybe I'm being cynical?

Bitchy remarks from one woman about another woman are more often than not, a result of jealousy. In my experience.

curlew Thu 12-Sep-13 16:08:59

"Wannabe, I love that someone always pops up on this thread and claims the critics are just "jealous" but then at the same time I'm often told "you'd never want her life". I'd bloody love her life - and given she relentlessly pursued that life I'm guessing she wanted it too!"

Stitching- you wouldn't be able to keep up with the relentless pressure of work.........24/7 they're on duty, you know-24/7

ToysRLuv Thu 12-Sep-13 16:10:36

Do not like the monarchy, and sure as hell am not jealous. Neither am I surprised that Wills quit his job. Why wouldn't he?

I wish I knew where to find the info about how much revenue the Royal estate pays to the treasury each year, in comparison to how much it draws out. If I did I would link to it.

ToysRLuv Thu 12-Sep-13 16:11:47

They are not on duty 24/7. Far from it.

CuteDesigns Thu 12-Sep-13 16:11:48

Someone has to hand out a knighthood to the likes of Saville.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 16:13:25

Wannabe there's been no bitchy remarks, just factual ones. And your experience, while obviously valid to you, may not be someone else's.

ToysRLuv Thu 12-Sep-13 16:13:50

Oh, god. Having flashbacks from the threads last summer.. Not sure if I can be arsed to do a second round of it. I might just leave it to you, kim!

StitchingMoss Thu 12-Sep-13 16:14:13

grin curlew - oh, I know, those constant holidays and all that ribbon cutting and talking. Relentless grin.

StitchingMoss Thu 12-Sep-13 16:14:49

Toys, I think curlew was being facetious grin!

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:15:35

ToysRLuv

I'd love to but off to earn some money.

DameDeepRedBetty Thu 12-Sep-13 16:15:53

I always thought the Civil List was a swap, some King or Queen had been so badly advised and ripped off that the royal estates had got into irretrievable debt, so the government/parliament did a deal, the Crown Estate (which is HUGE) came under government control and the government paid an agreed income to the Royal Household. I've heard the income from the Crown Estate is considerably more than the Civil List, in which case I suspect us tax-payers have done rather well out of the deal.

ToysRLuv Thu 12-Sep-13 16:16:53

Ah, you might well be right there, Stitching! Some people actually believe that, though.. Like REALLY.

LtEveDallas Thu 12-Sep-13 16:16:59

The Royal Family 'costs' around £40 million per year. Last year the Crown Estates 'bought in' around £170 million.

MrsDibble Thu 12-Sep-13 16:17:54

good idea kim 147!

ToysRLuv Thu 12-Sep-13 16:19:15

Oh kim. Go cut a ribbon and shake a few hands, then hurry back! No need to look interested, remember! grin

…what's that? What? A real job? But why? Surely you can just take some money from the coffers?

Sidge Thu 12-Sep-13 16:19:31

So being a SAHM means you're the hardest working, most underappreciated and yet the most valuable section of society according to most threads on MN.

Unless you're Kate in which case you're an idle, lazy, good-for-nothing leech on society...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now