Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Prince William to leave the armed services

(260 Posts)
baffledmum Thu 12-Sep-13 12:07:19

I am a fan of the monarchy but this has just made me stop and think...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24065166

Hmmm – not going to a “full time royal” = part-time royal then. What's he doing with the rest of his time?

I'd be happy to give up my job to focus on royal work and charity duties if someone can tell me where to apply! Or am I just being mean and unreasonable that he can afford to? envy

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 14:43:11

Maybe he's going to take a leaf out of his idle wife's book and do nothing.

curlew Thu 12-Sep-13 14:46:47

""There are plenty people with the same sort of inherited wealth doing less work."

And if he was paying for everything himself, including upkeep of the houses he lives in and his security, then that would be absolutely fine. But when members of the Royal Family are not on the Civil List, that doesn't mean they don't get any public money. It just comes out of a differentl pot.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 14:48:41

"Maybe he's going to take a leaf out of his idle wife's book and do nothing."

Wonder if they'll be the first to retire & hand over to the next generation?

Mandy2003 Thu 12-Sep-13 14:56:02

BoozyBear - you forgot about Princess Anne and Prince Edward in your rant grin

@ Andrew being a twat - LOL!!

LimburgseVlaai Thu 12-Sep-13 15:02:38

There wasn't really much point him having a 'proper' job - he was never there! Always off on some jaunt or other, attending the Olympics or Wimbledon or doing photo calls...

I often wondered whether other service personnel could get away with working as little as William did. Did he get unpaid leave?

Anyway - the idle rich eh?

Mutley77 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:13:29

Love the Jeremy kyle tinny comment!!!

How do we know? Glass of champs in front of escape to the country maybe??

CuteDesigns Thu 12-Sep-13 15:19:28

I don't think he was even meeting the minimum flying hours with all the time he had off and he wasn't doing much for the Firm either.

He can work as a full time royal like Kate and do half a dozen public engagements over a week, every three months.

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:21:17

Should leave him plenty of time to help out at home with all the housework and childcare.

Misspixietrix Thu 12-Sep-13 15:23:58

Mutley grin. Yoni never thought of that. Will they be making me sandwiches too. Just so I can go and have them in all the different rooms no one has used for the last 35years just so they have a point of cleaning them smile

LeGavrOrf Thu 12-Sep-13 15:25:57

God knows how he was permitted to be a pilot in the first place as he has to wear glasses.

I think he is a bit of a curmudgeonly bugger.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 15:30:59

It amazes me that people think him & Kate are the future of the monarchy tbh.

Seems the same old, same old to me!

Piss about part time in the military until you finally have to give something back for the privileged lifestyle.

Like foreign tripshmm & saving wildlife in Africahmm

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:32:59

I was going to start this thread but I think my Republican tendencies might have come through in the OP and IWHBU..

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:37:13

I wonder if there was someone whose dream it was to be an RAF pilot who did not get in at the time - just so William could have his attempt at a job for a bit.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 15:38:35

At least you could never accuse the wife of taking someone's job.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 15:39:13

"At least you could never accuse the wife of taking someone's job."
gringringrin

oscarwilde Thu 12-Sep-13 15:41:58

To be fair - his job has been outsourced to a private firm by the government. American I believe, who are going to run the RAF search and rescue services...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21934077

I'm not sure that the British public, royalist or not, want the future King of England to be on the payroll of a private firm.
Obviously he has the option to return (I presume - or possibly his only option was to be made redundant by the Armed Forces) to another part of the RAF, but this was one of the few non-combatant areas of the RAF where he could "usefully" work. They won't let him fly in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria etc etc.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 15:43:23

gringringrin-that's me still laughing at onesleeps post.

Perhaps they should just get on with Royal life after school/uni, or do a job for 10 years or so with no royal duties?

All this "we're so ordinary & working like ordinary folk" is so sickening.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 15:46:25

Happy to oblige, diddl. gringrin

CuteDesigns Thu 12-Sep-13 15:47:05

A woman in her youth, with her health and a degree, what a waste of her life.

grin @ "At least you could never accuse the wife of taking someone's job."

LtEveDallas Thu 12-Sep-13 15:48:34

1. He passed his pilots exams with flying colours.
2. Pilots are allowed to have corrected vision.
3. He didn't draw his military wage, there are lots of independantly wealthy forces personnel that don't.
4. He was only on a short service contract that was supposed to end after 3 years, he asked to extend.
5. He had no more 'leave' than every other service person, his Royal Duties were just that, Duties.

XBenedict Thu 12-Sep-13 15:50:38

He did longer than me in the RAF!!

SoupDragon Thu 12-Sep-13 15:54:18

At least you could never accuse the wife of taking someone's job.

They can't win can they? Either they are lazy good for nothings or they have stolen a job from someone.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 12-Sep-13 15:56:40

I'd rather they did a job. There was no reason for her not to, for years.

thegreylady Thu 12-Sep-13 15:58:41

Leave them alone-there's not one of you would do otherwise in their position.They seem decent enough young people who are born into wealth and privilege they will do charity work and act as ambassadors for our country which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for some other non working couples.

Jealousy is a terrible thing. It could eat you alive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now