Prince William to leave the armed services

(260 Posts)
baffledmum Thu 12-Sep-13 12:07:19

I am a fan of the monarchy but this has just made me stop and think...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24065166

Hmmm – not going to a “full time royal” = part-time royal then. What's he doing with the rest of his time?

I'd be happy to give up my job to focus on royal work and charity duties if someone can tell me where to apply! Or am I just being mean and unreasonable that he can afford to? envy

littlemisswise Fri 13-Sep-13 13:25:08

Onesleep we were having problems with our housing. The RAF families federation went to him as he was chief executive of defence estates. He had it sorted and we had our new house ready within 9 weeks. We had been fighting for well over a year by that point.

Butwilliseeyouagain Fri 13-Sep-13 18:53:25

I POsted saying FYI LtEve I didn't get your post deleted for calling me a dick. In fact I found it quite funny. That post was then itself deleted. I don't know why. Can I call myself a dick? I'm a dick! I'm a dick! <waits>

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 18:56:43

But grin. LtEve has actually made me change my mind on another matter because of her reasoned debate. I won't change my mind on this one though wink.

Butwilliseeyouagain Fri 13-Sep-13 19:02:10

This is an interesting debate. I'm not actually a republican, nor am I a royallist.

I find the whole miltary thing fascinating because I would never join the army. Interesting to get the other side of the story even though I wind people up a bit wink

LtEveDallas Fri 13-Sep-13 19:08:54

How funny Butwilliseeyou grin. I can be a dick sometimes too. I'm glad you didn't take offence, I've enjoyed debating with you.

Mignonette, don't worry, I get it. I have no issue with Republicans, not at all. I don't like slagging people off (no matter who they are) for the sake of it, but I quite understand those people that wish we didn't have a Royal Family. My 'Royalist' tendencies are almost completely confined to those serving or who have served - I have no time for 'hangers-on'. The only time I get pissed off is over the smoke and mirrors stuff, but I reckon I can hold my own there smile

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 19:13:04

Oh you do hold your own LtEve. I do admire you from your posts which reflect your unassuming certainty about what you do and what you believe in. We may not share the same views but I do respect your fair and never rude defence of them and hope to be that way one day grin.

Butwilliseeyouagain Fri 13-Sep-13 19:15:01

I've enjoyed debating with you too! Obviously this is one of things few people are going to chance their minds on. Oddly enough I am one of life's fence sitters usually although I like to choose a side in a debate for dramatic effect.

As said above one thing I am adamant on is that I would never join the army in a million years, so find it fascinating to debate with somebody who would actually give their life (literally if it came to that) for it. MN is great that way because you can hardly say to someone you meet at a party "You're in the army? But WHY?"

LtEveDallas Fri 13-Sep-13 19:26:36

grin oh trust me, there have been threads on here that have made me go FUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFF, both in my head and on screen. Thankfully few and far between! Although the day I was called a baby killer that shouldn't be a mother or on MN was one that was hard to beat...

I kind of joined the Army by accident, it was something I wanted to do through my teens, but when I left school and got a job it went on the back boiler. I then had a horrible boss that sacked me, unfairly, to give his daughter a job. At that point I stamped my feet and said "right, that's it, I'm not going to work hard to make my boss richer" Public Service it was, and the Army came to the front again.

Although I have to admit, I was only signing for 5 years. But 23 years on...grin. Numbers were never my strong point.

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 20:10:36

Ouch LtEve that was bloody harsh. I've been told i am personally and morally responsible for the historical atrocities committed by the MH services because I work for them. I think yours trumps mine though for horridness.

kim147 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:20:24

People who serve in the Forces do deserve our respect because of the job they do and they have earnt that respect. I grew up with a Forces background and have family who serve so do understand a bit about it.

<Unlike people who expect respect because of accident of birth>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now