Prince William to leave the armed services

(260 Posts)
baffledmum Thu 12-Sep-13 12:07:19

I am a fan of the monarchy but this has just made me stop and think...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24065166

Hmmm – not going to a “full time royal” = part-time royal then. What's he doing with the rest of his time?

I'd be happy to give up my job to focus on royal work and charity duties if someone can tell me where to apply! Or am I just being mean and unreasonable that he can afford to? envy

FlapJackFlossie Thu 12-Sep-13 12:25:27

He is a millionaire from his mother and grandmother's inheritance. He can do what he likes !

Maybe he is going to take extended paternity leave as so many on here advocate grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 12-Sep-13 12:27:36

I'm surprised he stuck at it for seven years. I can't fault him, most people in that position would do the same.

Sokmonsta Thu 12-Sep-13 12:28:12

Career break to help raise George maybe? Perhaps he's going to be a sahd so Katherine can go back to work.

LifeofPo Thu 12-Sep-13 12:30:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Thu 12-Sep-13 12:34:23

I'm not a huge fan of the royals, but I know loads of people who have been in the armed forces through their 20s then left at around his age, so if it's good enough for the ordinary man it's perfectly reasonable that he might have had enough too.

He has huge inherited wealth at his disposal, so he can support himself.

Misspixietrix Thu 12-Sep-13 12:38:47

LifeOfPo grin OP YDNBU! I'm not anti-royalist but some of the stuff they do / say is a bit eyebrow raising. Like when Kate said she wasn't going to have a Nanny. She's changed her mind now. Fair enough just don't try and play to the Media to be someone you are not. She would be one of many working and I use that term loosely Mums who has to rely on Childcare/Nannies to fit around Work Commitments.

RunRabbit Thu 12-Sep-13 12:40:14

YABU for "I am a fan of the monarchy".

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 12:42:11

If I had a job flying helicopters in mountains, I'd love to stick at it.

But he does have the money so does not need to work. Lucky so and so.

SoupDragon Thu 12-Sep-13 12:44:53

Prince William is currently considering a number of options for public service, the palace added, with a further announcement to follow in due course

YoniMitchell Thu 12-Sep-13 12:49:16

But he's not really going to be 'supporting himself' is he Treaclesoda? They're moving into a Royal palace, with staff and security presumably provided. I don't think they'll exactly be setting up direct debits for their utility bills.

Good point Misspixitrix!

kim147 Thu 12-Sep-13 12:49:28

He could help out at a foodbank, volunteer in a primary school, work with NEETS - and not just as a one off photo call but as a regular volunteer.

curlew Thu 12-Sep-13 12:50:02

Good. It'll shut the "oh, he works really hard, just like normal people" and "Kate's just like any other Service wife" brigade up for a while.

Misspixietrix Thu 12-Sep-13 12:53:04

Thankyou Yoni and precisely. Oh dear god can you imagine the Electric Bill? wink. Not in the least bit jealous <winces at the amount of rooms I would have to clean>

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 12-Sep-13 12:55:07

He should do some volunteering down the local charity shop.

meditrina Thu 12-Sep-13 12:57:35

It also says he's going to be working on this.

If it helps as many people as his father's charity, The Prince's Trust, that'll be a damned good thing.

Chusband Thu 12-Sep-13 12:59:19

I imagine he'd rather like to stay in the forces but it was only so something he could do while young, free and single. It's a case of fun's over, now you have to get on with your real job.

treaclesoda Thu 12-Sep-13 13:25:22

yoni you're right, he won't really be supporting himself, but on the other hand, I don't suppose he solely lives off his RAF salary at the moment either, so in that respect I don't see it as being all that different to how things are at the moment.

I'm not a fan, but I care so little about them that I can't get myself annoyed by them either, if that makes sense. I feel indifferent.

YoniMitchell Thu 12-Sep-13 13:43:12

But you'd have a fleet of cleaners Misspixietrix!

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 14:17:00

Do they join the forces purely because they are then also allowed time off for "Royal Duties"?

He's done a bit in the past 7(?) years, & I doubt that it all fell on him time off/holiday allowance!

Well, if he's to be King, perhaps 30 is the age to start doing the job!

Oblomov Thu 12-Sep-13 14:22:11

Don't know why I'm surprised.

meditrina Thu 12-Sep-13 14:24:45

Well, the Queen is old, and Prince Philip is ill, so I suspect there will be a rebalancing of Royal duties. But that will surely be evolutionary, and it seems likely he'll take a growing role, and more would probably be incompatible with operational search and rescue deployment. I think we'll see a gradual change, which might be why there isn't a 'big bang' announcement just because of him leaving the Forces in readiness.

notyummy Thu 12-Sep-13 14:25:55

There are plenty people with the same sort of inherited wealth doing less work. But I like the idea of working images food bank.

BoozyBear Thu 12-Sep-13 14:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diddl Thu 12-Sep-13 14:39:40

"There are plenty people with the same sort of inherited wealth doing less work."

But he's not living on his own inherited wealth, is he?

He has homes in Kensington Palace, at Sandringham, so he has the privileges of royal life for atm little "royal" work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now