To just go out and not be in

(152 Posts)
LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 10:23:37

I'm due to have my second baby next Tuesday. I have cracking SPD and haven't had more than 4 hours sleep a night for the last 2 weeks.
My GPIL have invited themselves (via a message left on our answering machine yesterday) to come and stay with us this weekend. Not with any altruistic intentions of helping out. No, it's because they will be driving home from holiday tomorrow and want to use our house as an overnight hotel rest stop.

It wouldn't be too bad except that they are very high maintenance and will expect a full bed and breakfast experience plus a naice trip to somewhere suitable on Saturday followed by a full lunch out and about in a naice tea room sort of place.

I really wanted DH, DS and I to just have a lovely family weekend as it's possibly the last one we will have with just DS.

The mobile number we have for them isn't working. Just beeps and cuts out. Have even double checked it with PIL. DH has sent the number a text saying to call him urgently.

WIBU to just go out to my mums for the whole of tomorrow so I am not at home when they try to just show up at some point in the afternoon? I'm a soft touch and will end up just letting them in if I'm here. They will be coming past about 1pm and DH won't get home from work til 6pm.

BuntyPenfold Thu 12-Sep-13 11:24:57

grin yoshipoppet, I live in Devon and I quite often have a mobile signal but my neighbour doesn't; she has to go out into the middle of the hump-backed bridge opposite the house. Something to do with granite apparently.

OP can't you have a false alarm? As it's so close anyway?

honeybunny14 Thu 12-Sep-13 11:25:44

Yanbu go out

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Thu 12-Sep-13 11:32:14

You should go out. You shouldn't be waiting on anyone of you are due in 2 weeks. Sorry about the spd, it truly sucks.

fluffyraggies Thu 12-Sep-13 11:39:07

Yeah, go out.

Or - for your own comfort - stick the car round the corner, come back home and just keep your head down on the sofa with chocolate and DVDs lie low for the day.

YoniMitchell Thu 12-Sep-13 11:49:24

They seriously want to just dump themselves on you a matter of days before you're due to give birth? shock

Absolutely go out or ignore the doorbell!

The bolshy side of me would be tempted to stay in, open the door and then tell them they can't come in or stay as you're DAYS AWAY FROM GIVING BIRTH (yes, shout that bit if needed) and have other things to do (like sleep, play with your DS, not wait hand-and-foot on unwelcome visitors).

I appreciate you might prefer a less confrontational approach though.

Hopefully your DH will have the opportunity to put them right beforehand though and they will just continue on their merry way home.

Good luck (with dodging the rellies and the birth!).

pindorasbox Thu 12-Sep-13 11:49:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrspaddy Thu 12-Sep-13 11:54:02

I am at the same stage of you be don't have that condition and I can honestly say.. Put yourself first... Absolutely go out....

If you need to don't come back until Monday!!!!

LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 12:01:42

I'm going out. Just called my mum and she is happy for me and DS to go camp at her house tomorrow. GPIL don't have my mobile number so couldn't get hold of me if they wanted to. Then DH, DS and I will go out Saturday for a nice family day. If they show up Saturday morning we will be in a nice state of chaos and will just say "no, sorry, busy, will come see you soon."

EldritchCleavage Thu 12-Sep-13 12:02:49

Have they got form for this sort of thing?

CocacolaMum Thu 12-Sep-13 12:04:37

drawn red spots all over your faces and cough a lot when you answer the door. Bet they don't stop.

LilRedWG Thu 12-Sep-13 12:04:43

Agree with the lovely note on door, "so sorry we couldn't get hold of you, etc etc"

Feminine Thu 12-Sep-13 12:06:49

I was 2 days off from having out eldest (15 yrs ago)

I was treated to guests from the US. I took them all over London, I cooked for them....they were only 18 years old!

So, not wanting anyone else to be 'done in' I would also suggest you hide!

Good luck.

Delighted you have made arrangements!

Come back and let us know if they do show up and how it all goes, ok?

expatinscotland Thu 12-Sep-13 12:09:43

Go out.

I never understand people who allow others to abuse them this way.

LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 12:10:15

Oh yeah EldritchCleavage they have form. Last time they came to stay they were very upset because breakfast in bed wasn't offered. I had been up since 6ish with DS (DH and I take turns to lie in at weekends) and at about 9:30ish grandad in law came down and sat in the living room. I cheerfully said "breakfast things are in the kitchen" and he sort of ignored me and cracked open the Daily Mail a paper. After about ten minutes he sniffed "I'll get my own breakfast then, shall I?"

oscarwilde Thu 12-Sep-13 12:11:05

Bit short notice to arrange a weekend away with your DS but that's what I'd do under the circs. Lovely babymoon in a hotel with plenty of kiddie friendly things to do where you can snooze on an overstuffed sofa or spa while DH and DS head to the pool.--ignores reality of the cost of such places and the simple unfairness of having to spank hundreds of pounds just to avoid your GPILs--

Or I'd hide out at my mums leaving a note on the door to say you've all gone away and hope that when you come back they won't be asleep in the car in your driveway.

YoniMitchell Thu 12-Sep-13 12:16:11

Glad you have something sorted!

expatinscotland Thu 12-Sep-13 12:18:05

'Last time they came to stay they were very upset because breakfast in bed wasn't offered. I had been up since 6ish with DS (DH and I take turns to lie in at weekends) and at about 9:30ish grandad in law came down and sat in the living room. I cheerfully said "breakfast things are in the kitchen" and he sort of ignored me and cracked open the Daily Mail a paper. After about ten minutes he sniffed "I'll get my own breakfast then, shall I?"'

Keep doing that, every single time. Do not cater or wait on these poeple.

AlpacaPicnic Thu 12-Sep-13 12:19:33

Run! Run till you can run no more!

I predict a hurt message from them

LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 12:23:55

Feminine Crikey! sad poor you!

Expat don't worry, I have no intention of letting them cross the doormat, let alone cater for them.

I hereby promise to update if I get a phonecall or an unexpected visit, or if indeed DC2 shows up early! grin

LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 12:24:25

Alpaca - more like waddle quite slowly for a minute or two!

LadyFlumpalot Thu 12-Sep-13 12:28:46

And thank you everyone for thw good wishes for the birth. I'm hoping to have a home birth (another reason why I REALLY don't want overnight guests)!

EldritchCleavage Thu 12-Sep-13 12:32:51

I'm so glad to hear you don't pander to it, so many people do!

And yes, good luck with the birth, I hope the SPD lifts and PIL don't cause you too much bother.

elQuintoConyo Thu 12-Sep-13 12:38:34

Good luck with Gpil and the homebirth LadyFlumpalot thanks

* great name btw

CaptainCapybara Thu 12-Sep-13 12:39:30

YANBU at all, is there any way you can stay at your mum's on friday night so you're not even there on saturday morning either? Your GPIL are cheeky bastards, let them drive home or find a hotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now