To be driven crackers by the people on Grand Designs?

(251 Posts)
CruCru Wed 11-Sep-13 22:36:24

On the episode today, the couple have sort of fallen out with all their neighbours. The project is over budget (by more than £200k) and over deadline. The guy has sold his business to finance the project and no longer has work to support the family. And they all seem to live in the one studio flat.

Argh! I couldn't bear it.

scrappydappydoo Thu 12-Sep-13 09:57:19

LOL my dh loves this programme. I sit and make snide comments. Usually about how they're going to clean the high ceilings and miles of glass windows and yes where are the curtains and blinds - I would loathe that lack of privacy. However I did like they're use of the awkward space last night and was in awe that they had no neighbour trouble (as far as we know).
My fav shock episode was when the couple build an underground home at the end of a posh mews in London complete with disco floor - the neighbours are up in arms and then they managed to knock a wall down - all for a house backing onto a railway line.

expatinscotland Thu 12-Sep-13 09:58:21

This show was boring as all fuck from about the third episode with the exception of a handful of incidents.

Wealthy, smug families (almost all with requisite 3+ kids) and access to endless amounts of money.

Yawn.

mumofboyo Thu 12-Sep-13 09:58:56

All the houses just seem so cold and clinical, unwelcoming almost. And they always have huuuuge windows with no curtains. I couldn't live with no curtains, no matter how remote.
I don't know how they cope with so much debt, and I always wonder how the couples manage to stay together after such a project - thinking about the arguments me and dh have had just over doing up the garden.

ubik Thu 12-Sep-13 09:59:32

I loved The Woodsman and the Huff House - such a lovely couple and what a beautiful house they had in the end. Also the artists who converted this enormous barn into a house/studio.

ubik Thu 12-Sep-13 10:01:29

I think last night's couple must have splashed the cash around the neighbours to keep them quiet. Which is fair enough. Oh and they baked them some banana bread grin

Methe Thu 12-Sep-13 10:08:07

They were a pair of knobs weren't they! Dh and I were trying to figure out where they got their money from.. No-one makes 1.2m from pissing around in Toyota Prius' or being a bit part actress.

They must have inherited?

Methe Thu 12-Sep-13 10:08:28

And his hair! How fast did it grow shock

mistlethrush Thu 12-Sep-13 10:10:14

The charcoal burner's house was superb. Wood from his own woodland, self-built (with help from friends and people learning how to work with wood if I remember correctly) not grand scale-wise, but the result was stunning.

Methe Thu 12-Sep-13 10:11:18

House in the woods guy was called Ben Law I think. That was my favourite episode ever!

Osmiornica Thu 12-Sep-13 10:15:48

I also wonder how these people (not this one) manage with the open plan design and children. There was one in a huge barn that had 'bedrooms' which seemed to consist of a curved wall of concrete but no ceilings and possibly no doors (can't remember). The parent's and chldren's were right next to each other so no privacy at all. The whole house was open plan basically so no chatting to your friends in private, no playing your music whilst someone else watches tv or reads quietly. I couldn't live like that.

I've not seen the woods one.

SlobAtHome Thu 12-Sep-13 10:16:28

Oh no I like the program and liked that house (though for reasons already mentioned couldn't live in it myself)

blush

LostMyBiroAgain Thu 12-Sep-13 10:21:45

I'm currently watching last night's show on Catch Up. I think they must have inherited. Surely no one would just randomly sell their business and therefore have no income unless they have money coming in from somewhere.

Wasn't Deborah Sheridan-Taylor's mum an actress? Maybe she inherited from her

dufflefluffle Thu 12-Sep-13 10:22:31

I have a massive problem with Kevin. His summing up at the end of each programme is such a load of pretentious twaddle I want to throw something at the screen.

Me too! and he pauses for effect - soooo obviously - I do like watching GD but I have to switch it off for his thought of the episode!!
Also: have you noticed he talks to womens (in fairness to men's too) bosoms sometimes?????

Noseynoonoo Thu 12-Sep-13 10:25:52

The wife is the daughter of the late Joyce Blair and niece of Lionel Blair. I imagine she inherited quite a bit from her mum.

LouiseAderyn Thu 12-Sep-13 10:31:16

Did anyone else think that underground swimming pool and gym area looked claustrophobic?

I thought they were very selfish to make their kids live like that for 3 years and put the family under all that financial stress, just so they could have what they wanted.

I think it is George Clark who does the amazing spaces programme - there are some excellent examples of innovative design, instead of the identikit glass and concrete shite on GD

SixPackWellies Thu 12-Sep-13 10:33:13

The woodsman in the forest is our favourite too. he was so lovely, and interesting and a hermit, and then got married, had babies and lived with his wife and MIL. I covet his life.

The ones that made me watch with horrified fascination was the one where they pissed off the neighbours and built a disco floor in the basement. Yep- there is a one hit wonder. Also the woman who pissed off her neighbours and name-dropped all the time. When her husband said he was not into art she commented smugly 'you liked that Tracey Emin piece'.

we wept over that.

Methe Thu 12-Sep-13 10:37:45

The disco floor couple really rode rough shod over their neighbours didn't they. A least last night couple seemed to give a shit about the people who's lives they disrupted.

The cavernous "living space" with inbuilt "AV systems" that will be defunct before they even move in, and bedrooms you can scarcely get a bed into. I'm always howling "But where do you keep the ironing board and the football kit?!"

I luffs it though.

SixPackWellies Thu 12-Sep-13 10:44:08

They certainly did ride roughshod Methe. They were so self obsessed too about it all.

sophiedaal Thu 12-Sep-13 10:47:38

I liked the couple who were so determined to have the sort of massive curving corridor normally found in the outer departure hubs of international airports that the children ended up being crammed into tiny solitary confinement cells with no windows.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Thu 12-Sep-13 10:53:41

I wish they would do a more realistic GD. Who the hell is going to install remote control egg cups or wtf and those glass staircases with no sides and a new baby. shock
And a trillion pound overdraught. Who do they bank with that actually lends?

Junebugjr Thu 12-Sep-13 10:55:10

What I couldn't understand about it, was why have the utterly shit swimming pool, which you'd be hard pressed to get one person in, and a cramped 'gym'. It didnt seem worth the bother of going underground. Having two studies as well, what would she need a study for, better to have a cwtch with a massive stock of wine to relax after looking after kids all day. Strange.

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 12-Sep-13 10:56:31

I was amazed he managed to keep all the neighbours happy this week and said they wanted to be part of the community....will not be surprised to see the house for sale in the not too distant future.

Loved the woodsmans house and the water tower, the one I hated the most was the Henley one on the river - the kind of self obsessed couple you just want to slap.

dandydorset Thu 12-Sep-13 11:11:55

ubik

thank god you said that i was screaming that in my head last night,then saw this thread but couldnt be bothered to type

TheCraicDealer Thu 12-Sep-13 11:13:09

I loved the Restoration Man episode where there was an architect and his fiance who were converting a Victorian water tower. It was lovely, very well done, but I loved the bit where George went, "If the utility room is on the ground floor and the master suite is on the fourth, how are you going to feel about carting your laundry down all those stairs?". The look of oh fuck on the fiance's face was priceless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now