Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU for thinking offices that use flexitime only exist in alternate realities?

(34 Posts)
HollyShort Tue 10-Sep-13 22:54:53

Because 8 - 4 is somehow less hours at work than 10 - 6?

I'm back working in an office that allegedly operates flexitime, I prefer to come in early and leave early. As a regular 4 leaver I always check and always stay if others want to go early - this means I stay till 5 on a Friday most weeks. But the 10 - 6ers are bitching as they obviously put it more hours than me every day! Of course they swan in every day at 10 (core hours we need to cover begin at 9) but never check that someone will be in to cover. So I'm frequently the only person covering that hour. But no I am being a very unreasonable slacker as they're in the office till 6 most nights.

So AIBU?

MaBumble Wed 11-Sep-13 12:29:53

The cause of grumbles can depend on the nature of the work. For example,in my team we cover support for the uk and south america. which means if its going to get busy, it gets busy in the afternoon. when the early birds are packing up to go home.

We have a couple of people who prefer to come in early, some who want 9-5 and some who want 10-6.

I make sure the early birds have some particular role to fulfill (like attending regular morning meetings) and if the others then decide to bitch about them,I offer them the choice of coming in early (getting out of their warm bed too soon/rearranging child care) and attending the boring, but necessary, morning meetings. And if the early birds moan about the later ones, they get offered the late shift (getting home for tea late/re-arranging child care) and the afternoon help desk job.

They both tend to STFU smile

onlytheonce Wed 11-Sep-13 12:35:40

Do people really have nothing better to moan about? Wherever I've worked I've always found that it is the people who moan the most who take the piss the most as well.

BarbarianMum Wed 11-Sep-13 12:43:07

Flexi time and flexi days and flexi just about anything is the norm where I work and its never been a problem. I don't keep a track of what hours my colleagues work and would be quite startled if anyone commented on mine.

We all know what everybody is paid too, so maybe it is an unusual place to work.

I had the opposite experience in the last proper office I worked in -I used to turn up at 9.30 (I'm not a morning person) and all the 8am starters were having little digs about how the had already done a mornings work. They forgot they used to bugger off at 4pm whilst I was there until 6.30 or later every night. As far as they were concerned nothing happened after they went home

Strangely it used to be the lower grades who moaned not the managers. I suppose they were as a group, more likely to be clock watchers and unfulfilled in their jobs.

samuraispider Wed 11-Sep-13 12:56:24

You need to develop teflon shoulders.

I used to get the same (but started and finished late). I just used to ignore the comments. I swiped in and out and surprise surprise did more than enough hours each week.

As long as the boss is happy who cares?

SuperConfused Wed 11-Sep-13 18:05:30

I've never experienced this, but we don't have to 'cover' anything- I've never worked in a part of the organisations that would need to answer calls or anything. We have flexi working and remote working and nobody complains or takes the piss. We do have to record our hours every day, and in a previous job people actually checked in so maybe that provides a certain reassurance that someone's checking.

Definitely think you should get management involved over setting up a rota system if people definitely need to be there outside core hours.

Scholes34 Wed 11-Sep-13 18:44:21

My previous boss ran an office where people signed in and out daily on a chart on the wall of the office, so everyone could see who was where and when and how many hours they'd clocked up. Definitely stops grumbles.

jacks365 Wed 11-Sep-13 19:02:28

My last place worked a rota for early starts and late finishes as the phones had to be manned 8-6 but core hours were 9.30-4.30. If you were on rota it was your responsibility to find a replacement if you couldn't do it. Give the moaning lot a few times of finding someone to cover their 8 starts and they'll soon shut up.

catgirl1976 Wed 11-Sep-13 19:10:06

We don't have any flexi time

Or TOIL

You could work and extra 25 hours in a week (unpaid) but still have to make up 10 minutes if you were late back from lunch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now