AIBU to not let Grand Theft Auto 5 into the house?

(83 Posts)
wigglybeezer Tue 10-Sep-13 20:09:37

DS1 thinks I am being monumentally unreasonable banning him from playing GTA until after his exams next summer. EVERYBODY else at school is allowed to apparently, but then maybe they do not have the attention span of a gnat and the will power of a wet flannel like DS1.

I think it is simpler to say no outright than have to nag him to revise every weekend.

He claims he is going to punish us by being in a foul huff for the next nine months.

Sigh...potty training was a breeze compared to wrangling teenagers.

It's not pearl clutching galaxy

I decide what comes into my house. And GTA will never be here.

And that's because I do not actually like the idea of a game which features prostitures and cocaine, amongst other things.

That not pearl clutching, it's my opinion

Chopstheduck Wed 11-Sep-13 08:00:26

It doesn't take that long to complete the basic game - I'm sure we did it in a couple of weeks. Would he accept a compromise of being allowed the game but not playing the mmorpg? Or maybe the mmorpg one day a week?

Ireallymustbemad Wed 11-Sep-13 08:06:54

YANBU at all.

Like too many others I relented and got COD but I have already refused one of DS1s friends being GTA over here and made very clear to DS1 that it's not suitable for him to play and I won't ever be letting it in my house.

gamerchick Wed 11-Sep-13 08:07:11

That particular game is banned from this house and we're a gaming family. Have you sat and watched him play it OP?

no pearl clutching here either.. but my kids know not to even ask if they can have that particular game and I'm quite generous to what 18+ games they can play.

valiumredhead Wed 11-Sep-13 08:10:01

I know lots of gamers who don't play it due to its content. No pearl clutching here either.

I'd refuse to buy that game for my child, too.

wigglybeezer Wed 11-Sep-13 08:26:39

I always said it wouldn't be allowed in the house but didn't get round to having a proper discussion with ds1 about it as he didn't seem interested, he unfortunately downloaded GTA 4 from Steam and started playing it without me knowing, shutting the stable door etc....

In fact DH could have had a job on GTA2 but declined due to the content ( and non family friendly working conditions TBH). A friend is working on the new one and says it is designed to be totally immersive and played for looong stretches.

Scottish exam system, brand new exam system in fact, with lots of small assessment units all year before the main exam. It's not just the time spent playing its the time spent daydreaming about the game in class.

DS has calmed down today and seems to be accepting his fate ATM.

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 11-Sep-13 08:32:48

We don't have any of those games either & I have no pearls to clutch but they are unacceptably violent & nasty IMHO & if the over 18s want to waste their time with them thats their option but they are 18 for a reason & should not be bought for younger teens... end of.

OP Your house your rules you know you son. As July is a LONG way away (for a teen) maybe say if he doesn't huff & knuckles down you'll reasses after Christmas?

Sometimes a carrot & stick approach works ok!

loopylou6 Wed 11-Sep-13 08:46:34

it can't be played on the ps3 can it? sad

Zazzles007 Wed 11-Sep-13 09:09:45

Yep Loopy GTA is on also PS3. Why?

Another gamer here, one who quite likes the darker/more violent games. Not pearl clutching. It's not a child's game, it's an adult's game. Leave it to the adults.

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 11-Sep-13 10:46:49

My kids can have this crap when they are adults, paying their own rent for their own homes.

Your house, your rules.

enderwoman Wed 11-Sep-13 10:56:45

Yanbu.
My children are younger and want Saints Row as well as GTA. I know they are going to play it at their friends houses but I am not buying a copy.

StuntGirl Wed 11-Sep-13 10:59:40

1. It's an 18 rated, so an instant no-no for me.
2. Not everyone agress with point 1, I know.

StuntGirl Wed 11-Sep-13 11:01:50

Jesus christ fecking mobile app. Why doesn't this crappy forum have a bloody edit or delete function?

3. The online aspect will be released 2 weeks later, so he can't play it straight away anyway (if that sways you at all).
4. If he wants it on PC he's going to have to wait a year or so anyway.

YANBU regardless of whether it's FIFA, GTA V or Super bloody Mario. From what you've said about your DS, and given the fact that he's in the first year group to do the National 4s and 5s, he needs as few distractions as possible.

As far as the game goes, I'd have it in my house because I understand the difference between reality and a game, so does my DP. But then we're adults, and it is a game for adults. Some children (my brother included) have trouble realising that they're still children and not everything is for them, IMO.

GhostsInSnow Wed 11-Sep-13 11:55:56

DD is 16 in 3 weeks, she's played GTA since 14 and has yet to turn into a car stealing, drug dealing prostitute murderer. She's exceptionally mature for her age and I made that call knowing my daughter.
I don't understand how 18 they are suddenly going to mature in a puff of smoke into adults who are sensible enough to play games, watch movies etc
I think it depends entirely on the child and their maturity levels and I personally have no issues with her gaming.

loopylou6 Wed 11-Sep-13 13:57:24

I meant the new one, does it only play on ps4?

PS4 isn't even out yet, so no. it plays on PS3.

loopylou6 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:06:57

I've just googled, you're right, it's on ps3. I'm excited now, me and DH really like that series grin

wigglybeezer Wed 11-Sep-13 14:13:27

Yup, Hugless, the teachers are a bit stretched this year, not much time to handhold feckless boys who have not been paying attention all year.

I am feeling strong about my decision today, it has had one positive effect already, he was so angry he refused to watch telly with us , couldn't think of anything else to do so stormed off in a passive aggressive fashion - to do his maths homework, it was quite a performance!

Haha victory!

valiumredhead Wed 11-Sep-13 14:18:29

Did he mutter 'you'll be sorry!'as he stomped off?wink grin

jellybeans Wed 11-Sep-13 15:39:38

My 14 YO DD has GTA as it was given by a relative with a PSP. I had no idea what it was till I had a go one day. Not keen on the prostitutes but other than that and violence it seems 'OK' and like any other 'beat em up'. Of course PSP and old version may be different to the newer games. I think if you ban it you will make him get it in secret and make it more appealing. Maybe allow it in moderation if he studies for a while after school each day. I did that with DDs phone (she was on it all day non stop otherwise) and she got good GCSE results.

valiumredhead Wed 11-Sep-13 15:45:26

Ok apart from the prostitutes and violence? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now