Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be frustrated that I can't think of a polite way to say...

(32 Posts)
mameulah Tue 10-Sep-13 19:24:12

'...there is absolutely no way that you are taking my baby to the park (or wherever) The very idea of it horrifies me.'

Long, long story and I haven't actually been landed in this uncomfortable scenario yet, but I am sure the ugly moment isn't far away.

There must be a mumsnetter or two out there who have found a good way of dealing with this problem.

tia!

Vivacia Tue 10-Sep-13 20:50:32

You could say it's just you three for the birthday, or ask them 'round for a special meal (at a different time to any other celebration) or have them there when you have lots of moral support.

To be honest, I'm struggling to picture a situation so bad but you are still contemplating contact.

Floggingmolly Tue 10-Sep-13 20:51:17

If your dh only just keeps in touch with them, will they even ask to be alone with your baby? If they genuinely had as little interest in their own children as you say, it's unlikely.

NeedaWee Tue 10-Sep-13 20:53:35

surely the more people who love your child makes his/her life richer

its not all about you you you OP believe it or not

mameulah Tue 10-Sep-13 20:55:25

Fingers crossed you are all right. When I first met my dh and he said they were 'odd' I thought that they couldn't possibly be, and that me, he shiny new girlfriend would 'fix it'. I wish I had listened. They are odd, my most generous description of them would be that they are thoughtless and selfish.

I know it sounds odd. But it is!

"Suffice to say my sil hasn't spoken to either of her parents for more than ten years and my dh only just stays in touch with them"
I'm not really sure why, given the above, you feel any need to be polite to them. Wouldn't it serve you better to be as impolite as you can be? (In which case, I always find 'fuck off' fits the bill.)

namechangesforthehardstuff Tue 10-Sep-13 22:36:33

Is that you SIL? It sounds like you. Especially the bit where BILL told you they were 'odd' and you wish you'd listened. We should both have listened before we got involved you and me grin

So what I do is say 'oh yeah that'll be lovely one day. Not yet though eh?' And I smile and nod. And DD is now 3 and one day she'll be 18 and then if they want to take her to the park they can ask her...

mameulah Tue 10-Sep-13 22:55:51

Glad it is not just me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now