To be frustrated by misunderstandings on AIBU threads?

(21 Posts)
wateraddict Tue 10-Sep-13 16:03:21

We have some threads where responders are not reading the original post and offering strong opinions whilst being mistaken. Am I being unreasonable to think you should double check the OP before flying off the handle at someone?

Ditto we might need to tell our stories more clearly. Now I wonder if I have made this easy to understand... smile

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Tue 10-Sep-13 16:39:24

My ear is poorly.

sad

Patosshades Tue 10-Sep-13 16:47:23

Haven't read the OP as I'm a lazy cahhh <waits to hear what the majority think before I agree with them>

YouTheCat Tue 10-Sep-13 16:51:01

Tbh it annoys me when someone has clearly skipped over a long OP and then comments with utter shite purely because they couldn't be arsed to read the whole thing properly.

Why bother to comment if you couldn't even manage to read the whole thing?

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 10-Sep-13 16:54:02

Oh,I think I'm guilty of this one, I usually read it through (if I can be bothered) but tend to reply to the last post. Note to self must concentrate more and answer original comment.

Mintyy Tue 10-Sep-13 16:56:04

Yanbu! Drives me batty. People should really try and a) read the op properly b) read the whole thread if they can or, if not, at least c) read the op's further posts.

RobotHamster Tue 10-Sep-13 16:59:31

There's one at the moment (the ss one) which I did have to read twice, obviously lots of people misread the OP too looking at how its gone.

Tbf it was a bit garbled

OliviaPope Tue 10-Sep-13 17:26:34

It really annoys me when people don't read the post properly or completely miss the point of the thread, then get offended about a minor point and completely derail the conversation.

This happened a few days ago, the OP asked a valid question about a friendship, mentioned being Wendied and someone got offended because they have a relative called Wendy and we all had to promise not to say it. The OP hardly got a look in hmm.

Patosshades Tue 10-Sep-13 17:38:33

Wait, hold on a sec, someone tried to tell the internet what not to say. I hope no one has broken the pinky promises grin

KellyHopter Tue 10-Sep-13 17:43:45

Op - who the heck are you to tell people where and when they can post?!?!

Teeb Tue 10-Sep-13 17:45:57

yanbu, I've noticed it quite a few times lately. They've clearly read the op just don't understand the words written down, then make a bit of a tit of themselves ranting about a totally irrelevant point.

OliviaPope Tue 10-Sep-13 17:47:22

WENDY

Patosshades you're a terrible influence grin.

RiffyWammal Tue 10-Sep-13 17:51:11

So let me get this straight, you didn't read an OP and you flew off the handle and gave a strong opinion? And did you RSVP? And if he was only stopping the DC from running in the road, well. YABVVVU.

Only messing wink This annoys me too! If a thread is mega long, I at least read the OP's posts - I think some people don't realise you can highlight them, which makes this a lot easier.

runningonwillpower Tue 10-Sep-13 17:51:25

AIBU is by its very nature unreasonable.

People are being asked for views on a one-sided story.

I have noticed however, that the first responder often sets the tone of subsequent replies.

Bowlersarm Tue 10-Sep-13 17:52:11

Well, I am not guilty of this. Sometimes if I come late to a thread I'll read the first page, then all the op's posts (highlighted in green for me, easy peasy) after that, and then comment without reading other posters posts. Is that acceptable op??

WafflyVersatile Tue 10-Sep-13 17:52:19

If it's the one I'm thinking about the OP was fantastically garbled.

Tee2072 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:54:49

Wait, you're suppose to read the OP?

I've been doing this wrong for years...

Bowlersarm Tue 10-Sep-13 17:55:31

running I'm not sure I agree with on that. I was on an Aibu where posters were accused of following the herd, but the first five or six posts all said the same thing but were all posted at the same time so although x posts were viewed as people being sheep.

Maybe sometimes it does, but not always.

I will admit, I sometimes read the whole thread and answer later points rather than the OP. But then, if I did the opposite, I'd be told to RTFT... grin

runningonwillpower Tue 10-Sep-13 18:01:55

Bowlersarm - I agree, not always. But often, especially in the threads that don't run on too long.

Just my impression.

twistyfeet Tue 10-Sep-13 18:04:05

but surely the whole point of AIBU is to make it all about ME
grin
wot was the OP again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now