to think that if you go through a thread on here just reading the names it sounds like the commentary on the horse racing?

(73 Posts)
MrsWedgeAntilles Tue 10-Sep-13 13:52:50

Try it. Its almost impossible to do it with out hearing the horse racing commentator's voice in your head.

MrsWedgeAntilles Tue 10-Sep-13 21:52:41

"And it's MikeLitoris chasing TwattyBollocks"

I'm out (too long). I'd have loved to hear willyoudothefandango in a commentator's voice too sad

I'm too long too. sad

But brilliant thread.

MikeLitoris Tue 10-Sep-13 22:02:27

"And it's MikeLitoris chasing TwattyBollocks"

Actual Lol at that.

Sparrowfarts Tue 10-Sep-13 22:14:15

Frankel While there's an expert available - can owners 'bagsy' a name then wait until they find the right horse for it? And at what age are racehorses named? I'm thinking in particular of Camelot. That name would have been wasted on a lesser horse. But was it simply a coincidence that a fine horse had a great name?

Yes owners can "book" a name to be held until they want to use it. I think it costs about £100 per year per name, but I could have the amount wrong.

Apparently Coolmore sat on the name "Camelot" for about 10 years before using it.

Sparrowfarts Wed 11-Sep-13 20:32:27

Thanks Frankel, I thought that couldn't have been a complete fluke.

What is the list of protected names, if you're still around?

I bet Robert Frankel would have been mighty pleased with his namesake.

kim147 Wed 11-Sep-13 20:38:31

I think I've fallen at the first hurdle.

I think they should be called Ben or Max. Simple names.

I'm always here wink

I'm sure Bobby Frankel would have been thrilled, and I wonder if Juddmonte have reserved a name comprising "Sir Henry Cecil" for future use.

The protected names list is held by the zinternational Federation of Horseracing Authorities and is made up of the winners of certain international races, plus any additional submissions made by individual countries. The key is that the horse must have either made a significant impact as a stallion or broodmare, or is a very recognisable name in that country. Once a name goes on the International List no other horse anywhere in the world can be granted that name in the future.

Each country usually has a domestic list of protected names, again winners of certain races plus those that ave made an impact, but that list can only apply in that country.

This is the list of international protected names, as at April 2013. They will add another batch of names at their next meeting in early 2014.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Wed 11-Sep-13 20:50:38

I'd ride Malcolm Tucker like a race horse that's for sure!

Sparrowfarts Wed 11-Sep-13 21:05:18

Oh I hope the future Sir Henry is a classic winner.

Thanks for the link. I'd always vaguely thought that names coluldn't be reused at all.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Wed 11-Sep-13 21:07:12

Hahah mine definitely doesn't fit in but I have had fun looking at the names and I agree with the majority

Sparrowfarts Wed 11-Sep-13 21:07:34

Oh yes, I'd be prepared to put up a few stone overweight for Makcolm Tucker too.

MrsWedgeAntilles Thu 12-Sep-13 20:06:59

Kim During the war my great grandparents had a lovely horse called Jim for working the croft. In fact there was a bit of trend for calling horses Jim in our area so any horse races between about 1930 and 1985 would have gone something along the lines of "Jim, Jim, Jim over taking Jim on the outside and Jim wins!"

fancyabakeoff Thu 12-Sep-13 20:35:52

Hoof Hearted followed by Ice Melted

MrsWedge, that's why you very rarely (if ever) get two horses of the same name at the same time - it's just too confusing! The only way it can happen is if the two horses are born in different countries (though GB and Ireland share information) at the same time, as names have to be registered with the racing authority in the country of birth.

EllesAngel Thu 12-Sep-13 21:01:44

grin Brilliant thread.

Now where would I come? hmmgrin

You already exist!

Elle's Angel is a registered racehorse, born in Ireland in 2004. She failed to win a race in 5 attempts. She is now a broodmare, but I can't find a record of her offspring's results so far.

I'd be coming last...seeing as how I'm on a tapir! wink

EllesAngel Thu 12-Sep-13 21:25:51

Why am I not surprised hmm

ShakeAndVac Thu 12-Sep-13 22:06:23

What about me, do I qualify?! smile

MrsWedgeAntilles Fri 13-Sep-13 08:24:22

Fancyabakeoff grin

SummerSevern Fri 13-Sep-13 08:48:26

I'd fall over. The horses I like always fall. So much so that I stopped putting my customary 50p on the Grand National. It seemed cruel to curse them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now