To think this man at the cinema was plain nasty?

(807 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

WombatCat Mon 09-Sep-13 23:57:27

Dh and I watched a film at the cinema on Saturday night.

There was a young man a few rows back from us with very vocal Tourette's. Obviously it was distracting to most people around him, but once the film started I didn't find it an issue. However, one man decided to tell him to shut up and "isn't there a special showing you could go to?"

Quite a few people appeared to be in agreement with him. I now wish I said something.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 12-Sep-13 22:58:09

That is good to know smile

YouTheCat Thu 12-Sep-13 23:20:20

That just makes what was posted earlier sound like utter wank. Which is nice. smile

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 12-Sep-13 23:21:26

Yanbu.

Yes in that mans shoes I might have found it irritating but common sense would have told me the man making "noises" probably had a disability, was not doing it on voluntarily and was probably trying hard not to do so. So I would focus on the film and move on. This is what normal people do surely? Notice something, have a little think, have the lightbulb moment?

I find it quite amazing that people in this day and age actually think it's okay to do things like that man did. So it's annoying? And? More annoying for the young man with Tourette's having wankers like that making his life harder for him.

As for asking for a refund because somebody with a disability wasn't able to sit completely silently (as if all not disabled people are hmm) , well the thought of uttering those words actually makes my toes curl.

Special screenings could be a positive, if they are merely available. But not if they're enforced. All gets a bit unpleasant when people start talking about enforced separation. And reminiscent of a period of history not so long past.

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 12-Sep-13 23:22:20

Fanjo.

When we first attended the only things they were interested in was how to make our attendance as easy as it is for none disabled people.
And that dc's enjoyed it and what they could do to assist with coping if needed.

I obviously assured them that each child who was likely to have a potential issue would have an individual carer to assist them with those matters so they didn't need to assist.

But they still did by providing every child who needed one with a free carers ticket.

IceBeing Fri 13-Sep-13 09:32:24

sock oh what a relief. Has the potentially libelous post been removed then? <checks>

hazeyjane Fri 13-Sep-13 10:38:02

I think a really valid point in this discussion, is that the world of the arts should be and usually is a very inclusive one, which is why i would be very shocked if somewhere like the ROH said that someone with verbal tics would not be welcome.

2 members of my family work in the arts, with children and adults with learning disabilities, one in the theatre, and one in art. They do work in all sorts of theatres and art galleries, and have never had a problem with people being made to feel unwelcome.

One of the reasons why I linked to the 3 artists with Tourettes earlier, is that the arts are an area of life that can be so beneficial and enjoyable to people with all different sorts of disabilities, it is not some closed off world of people sitting silently in awe.

I don't know if anyone has seen anything about the work of John Lubbock and Music for Autism, their concerts look amazing.

confuddledDOTcom Fri 13-Sep-13 19:36:01

I'm wondering what disability the guy sat next to us during WWZ had, he treated his partner like she was Google "What's that...? Why did he say that...?" Is rudeness a disability? When you go to the cinema it is rarely quiet, people rarely not talk, get used to it.

I did actually point out that if I had wanted the Wiki version I would have stayed home and got it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now