Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to hope that Mumsnet stays largely free of textspeak?

(28 Posts)
Mintyy Mon 09-Sep-13 22:21:14

Or am I an old dinosaur who won't move with the times?

I've seen countless posts and thread titles with the abbreviation n instead of and recently.

I just want to say that I CAN'T STAND IT!!! but I know a lot of you will feel that Mumsnet needs to get with it.

Aibu to feel old decrepit?

NecessaryWeevil Mon 09-Sep-13 22:22:10

Yanbu. There seems to be more and more about though.

pointythings Mon 09-Sep-13 22:22:10

I thnk ur id is gr8.

grin

pointythings Mon 09-Sep-13 22:23:04

At which point I should add that I am one of those Luddites who take 8 hours to draft a single text message because I insist on capital letters and punctuation.

As you were.

YANBU. But my dch don't use txt spk now because their fancy phones do predictive text, which brings a whole new set of horrors - totally inexplicable words in the middle of sentences.

Bloody smartphones. Thick phones, more like.

Mintyy Mon 09-Sep-13 22:37:25

Oh God yes, the blight on our lives that is predictive text!! Whoever invented that little gizmo should be deeply ashamed.

I'm with pointy.

No particular objection to text speak as such but it's still such a 'new' language for me that I end up moving my lips/reading the post out loud in order to understand it.

So that'd be an old duffer YANBU from me then.

poachedeggs Mon 09-Sep-13 22:42:47

Yanbu.

Lj8893 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:43:33

Nothing to do with being old!
I'm 25 and use occasional text speak in erm texts, but that's about it!

Can't stand it on the Internet!

pointythings Mon 09-Sep-13 22:44:19

I actually do hate text speak, it's just that I can understand why people would use it when they're on a crappy mobile phone keyboard. Unless they're me.

PatPig Mon 09-Sep-13 22:44:31

no txt spk? r u srs m8?

McNewPants2013 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:47:04

I hate text speech.

I luv u c u l8ter kk if not c u 2mro

Once DH got a random (mistake) text that went: "huzis?"

We had to ask a child what it meant, and were told :"Who's this?"

So he texted back: "sme. huzat?"

Sadly, he never got a reply.

kim147 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:56:30

I know someone who has text speak replies set up.

DS and I like creating random messages using the predictive text feature on the Smart Phone. Mine just suggests words and we make up a sentence.

Hi. Are you looking for a man? (was our last one which DS giggled at)

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 09-Sep-13 23:02:40

Me too. I find it really hard to read.

Can we publicly flog the "mom" people too? That I find extremely irritating!!!

Mintyy Mon 09-Sep-13 23:12:38

Who are the mom people?

BOF Mon 09-Sep-13 23:15:07

I think that it should be more obvious when you register that text speak is discouraged on MN, because it wants to remain accessible for partially-sighted users and others who need to use audio software to be able to 'read' and participate.

I think when people realise that it is to show courtesy to those users, rather than a judgement on their intelligence which makes them feel unwelcome, then they are more likely to make the effort.

FruOla Tue 10-Sep-13 07:50:58

"We had to ask a child what it meant" grin Miranda

Coffee, don't forget we have a number of American and Canadian MNers - and, apparently, 'mom' is commonly used in The Midlands as well.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 10-Sep-13 07:58:42

Mom is perfectly acceptable. It is used in the midlands. My dm always wrote Mom to my Nan on birthday cards.

Morgause Tue 10-Sep-13 08:00:49

I'm old. I'm too old to try to work out text speak.

I like punctuation. I'm especially fond of apostrophes.

LegoAcupuncture Tue 10-Sep-13 08:01:25

Yanbu I hate it as well.

I tend to steer clear of shops/services that use text speak in their name as well, a bit OTT but I just don't like it.

Morgause Tue 10-Sep-13 08:01:38

Mom isn't used in this part of the Midlands but my Welsh Mum called her mum Mammy.

BuskersCat Tue 10-Sep-13 08:47:49

wut u wan us 2 tlk propa u no tht itz nt ment 2b lyk a tst or r u a teaha or sank?

HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 10-Sep-13 10:49:50

I find it harder to type in text speak than normal! Really can't see the point of it. Yanbu!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now