To think IKEA are a bunch of twats.

(53 Posts)
FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 09-Sep-13 14:31:27

45 minutes. 45 fucking minutes it takes to speak to someone and then they get as far as taking my details and we get cut off. And do they call back?? No they bloody don't. They obviously thought that was me got rid of.

Oh, and they've lost £600 worth of bloody sofa cover and don't seem to be interested in finding it. Or TALKING TO ME ABOUT IT. Rahhhh!

Seriously, shop somewhere else. Cheap tealights are not worth it.

(Off to sit on my uncovered sofa and drink a calming cup of tea...)

vibee Mon 09-Sep-13 16:26:59

I had the same last week. Nearly an hour on hold over a broken bit of flat pack, and when I finally got through the guy on the other end would not stop talking. If they're all like him I can see how the call centre has queues. Stil, he sorted it all out. Though thinking about it, I probably could have got a replacement for less than the call...

Norfolknway Mon 09-Sep-13 16:30:43

£600 of sofa cover?? shock

leeloo1 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:01:27

Can't you call the individual stores anymore? I've had to call a couple of times (the number is on the receipt) and got through straight away.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 09-Sep-13 17:04:16

I love ikea. I want to move in to one of those pretend apartments.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 09-Sep-13 17:08:04

The cover isn't in a store, it's a made to order one. Otherwise I'd have gone and picked it up myself.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 09-Sep-13 17:08:42

It's a very large cover Norfolk - a corner sofa.

Scholes34 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:08:59

When I e-mailed I used the web mail form. The item I bought was missing a part, and it was posted to me within a few days:

www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/customer_service/email.html

NoComet Mon 09-Sep-13 17:11:01

Yes Ikea stuff works, fits and doesn't fall apart. Ok the coffee table has to be attacked with an alen key, but it's 22 years old.

Meanwhile, Argos and homebase stuff is forever needing glue or replacing.

I've had one long saga over missing fittings. I finally got a lovely woman who said, "the computer says, you have rung three times, that's not good enough. It's easy to fix."

Three days later exactly the right glass door fittings appeared.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 09-Sep-13 17:11:35

Tell a lie, it's £415. The sofa was £600, I got it the wrong way round. Not that it makes much difference.

Thanks scholes, I was obviously being stupid, I will try that.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 10-Sep-13 15:34:45

Oh God, it gets worse. They have now closed their email facility (wtaf??).

Seriously, I think shouting really loudly might be the most efficient way of communicating with them.

AmpullaOfVater Tue 10-Sep-13 15:50:19

For god's sake don't pay to call them!

020 3645 0000

^^ IKEA geographical number.

AmpullaOfVater Tue 10-Sep-13 15:50:53

Or look up your local store here: www.saynoto0870.com/

unlucky83 Tue 10-Sep-13 15:54:57

Sorry I love IKEA too..
Took me a while to realise my DCs were using the kitchen drawer handles as a ladder (bar ones -and they seemed like such a good idea) and had managed to bend the screws that go through the drawers - one snapped when I tried to straighten it...
Phoned them up (our IKEA is 50+ miles away) and explained (my fault) and they send a bag full of replacement ones - no charge...
Then after almost 5 years had a problem with the mixer tap dripping - they sent replacement cartridges (twice - because they had changed the design and I didn't know the right number) again free -
A couple of weeks later the handle started spinning (suspect messing around when it was dripping had damaged it) - they didn't do those parts or that design of tap anymore - so sent me a whole new tap (I could chose one up to the same price as the one I had -or pay the difference for a more expensive one)
and then also refunded me £70 ish pounds it cost to get a plumber to fit it for me!
(Ok - their tap shouldn't have failed in the first place...but they did do a fantastic job of sorting out the problem...)

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 10-Sep-13 16:28:12

I love ikea too, normally. In fact, our house pretty much looks like an ikea showroom. I just think they need to rethink how they deal with customer communication.

Anyway, I've spoken to a helpful chap who promises he will call back. If I get my cover, all will be forgiven.

Fecklessdizzy Tue 10-Sep-13 18:28:47

Another Ikea lover here ... They sent me a load of screws and whatnot for a bed I'd just bought on ebay, lost half the bits for and didn't fit into DS2's room anyway as the seller had put on the wrong measurements so I had to re-sell the bloody thing! AAARGH Guess where I went for the new one ... grin

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Tue 10-Sep-13 20:44:40

IKEA have managed the impossible: simultaneously being brilliant and utter shit.

Our kitchen was £2.5K and it's gorgeous. But the fucking rigmarole to get it right!

Also, I did the home deliveries for a bit. Customer specifies "van only" due to access problems. Do they get one? Nope. Full HGV that either can't get in or smashes half the cars in the road. Oh, and if it rains everything not waterproof is fucked because the roof on the box leaks.

And the really, really bastard thing is when we order online, it goes from the warehouse to the nearest store and then to our house. Warehouse=6 miles. Nearest store=60 miles.

LaGuardia Tue 10-Sep-13 20:48:25

I thought Ikea sold cheap shite furniture for students. Am I wrong?

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Tue 10-Sep-13 20:59:28

No, that's Argos. Delivered that too. Got to one drop, woman looks at shit sofa: "Can I send it back?" "Sure thing missis, we think they're shit too".

BakeOLiteGirl Tue 10-Sep-13 21:11:42

Yabu Ikea are cunting twats. One and only time I ordered online and everything in the order arrives smashed. Two weeks down the line and I am no closer to refund or replacement. They take longer to answer the phone than the tax credit hotline in mid July.

OnTheBottomWithAWomensWeekly Tue 10-Sep-13 22:26:18

Ikea sell billions of items to millions of people, the vast majority perfectly fine. Just because you had one bad experience does not mean other people shouldnt shop there.
Seriously, people here seem to expect perfection at all times.

bsc Tue 10-Sep-13 22:36:30

Believe it or not, I had to wait to speak to John Lewis customer services the other day, about an item that shock shockingly was missing from my delivery. I was on hold for more than a few minutes, had to make 3 calls, etc, etc.

It happens to all companies!

(they did courier said item to me the next day, by 10am, which will have cost far more to them than I've paid for that item, but you cannot argue with service like that)

BakeOLiteGirl Tue 10-Sep-13 23:09:29

I don't expect perfection I just want a refund or replacement on four bulky items cluttering up my tiny living room. It's impossible to get it sorted even with a case number. Even by email the system managed to corrupt the complaints which had to be re-emailed back in at another wait of five days. It's infuriating not being able to move it on.

WafflyVersatile Tue 10-Sep-13 23:11:35

Are they on twitter? Or facebook? I'd complain there.

IndridCold Tue 10-Sep-13 23:26:51

Twats, definitely. Was expecting a delivery today, they arrived at 8.30 (when I had rushed out early to get something).
Rang the delivery company, who said Ikea should have told me to expect delivery between 7am and 10am (they didn't).
At 5.30 Ikea send me an email telling me to expect delivery between 5pm and 10pm confused.

Luckily the delivery guys had already delivered the stuff, on their way home, at lunchtime!!

IndridCold Tue 10-Sep-13 23:28:25

Trying to actually contact Ikea is a dead loss. Glad I didn't hang on for 45 minutes shock. I'm going to write a letter though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now