to think these shoes are within uniform regulations?

(78 Posts)
freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 09:53:18

Eldest daughter started secondary school last Wednesday.

This morning, helpfully hmm, she informs me that she was spoken to about her shoes on the way out of school on Friday afternoon as they weren't uniform regulation.

These are the shoes www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355020

The shoe guidelines from their uniform regulations:
Black shoes; no trainers, platform shoes, ‘Uggs’, open toe, canvas shoes or sling backs. Heels should be no higher than 2"

She was in a bit of a panic going in this morning as they've had dire warnings about being sent home or taught in isolation if they don't have correct uniform, but there wasn't a lot I could do about it at 8:15am. She should have told me Friday, but even then, as far as I can see, there's nothing actually wrong with them.

Black - check
Not trainers, platform, open toe, canvas, Uggs or slingbacks - check
Heel lower than 2" - check

I'm really not prepared to buy more shoes. If school want to be really particular about shoes, they should be clearer when they send out the uniform regulations.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 10-Sep-13 12:02:36

Oh FFS. Do schools have nothing better to do? Honestly. This gives me the rage. I used to go to school in: canvas platform shoes, clumpy slingbacks, 3 inch wedges, 4 inch high-heeled loafers etc etc, depending on what was fashionable at the time. No one gave a tiny shit. The school introduced a uniform policy when I was in 5th year (in Scotland, so age 16 or so). This was shortly after Britney Spears and Hit Me Baby One More Time. My school was filled with lots of little Britneys wearing elbow-sleeved shirts from Miss Selfridge/Topshop that had a collar button and a just-at-bra-height button - nothing in between. They didn't make them with a modest option! Ties were worn pulled down sexily, and a fair few girls wore black bras under white shirts (not me). Micro minis with slits were also in style. So long as you were wearing a shirt and tie, no one said a word about the provocativeness of the outfit. And these days schools are saying brogues are unsuitable? <faints>

AdmiralData Tue 10-Sep-13 11:50:25

My old school is cracking down its rules on uniform and behaviour massively so I understand how difficult it will be for parents. The school should have stated before the summer holidays/during summer holidays via a letter that shoes must be PLAIN black, no bows or patterns or anything tbh. I think the shoes are fine, the school is at fault here.

NoComet Tue 10-Sep-13 11:33:07

Exactly our problem Dalmation. We have two allowed styles of skirt. The waist banded one cannot be got to fit at regulation length on anyone.

Skinny and still shortish DD2 can buy a waistband less one and hang it precariously off her hips.

On taller DD1 it's impossible.

DalmationDots Tue 10-Sep-13 11:12:31

One year my DD's school decided to re-write the uniform policy and send a letter at the end of the summer holidays.

Skirts had to be no less than an inch above the knee - the skirts were made to be about 2-3 inches above the knee so the waist sizes meant we physically couldn't get a skirt long enough!

Shoes could no longer be ballet style (this was the time when ballet style was so 'in' it was practically the only design available for girls in year 11)

Bags could no longer be shoulder bags, they had to be regulation rucksack- I had to try and send my DD, aged 16, into school with a regulation rucksack. The girls put on a protest and used sainsburys carrier bags or those awful drawstring waterproof cheap bags often used for swimming.

You will not imagine the hassle it caused, especially with a fashion conscious DD. Only for them to return to school with lots of new uniform for the rules to not be enforced beyond week 1 and them all to revert back to the previous uniform a week later!! Grrr!

MrsEricBana Tue 10-Sep-13 11:10:40

dd!!!!

MrsEricBana Tue 10-Sep-13 11:09:49

ds not dad!!

MrsEricBana Tue 10-Sep-13 11:08:49

Madness. My dad and nearly all her friends at strict school have these exact shoes (and think they look very cool!)

Lancelottie Tue 10-Sep-13 10:58:26

Oh help, Miaow, are velcro shoes out at your school?? Poor old dyspraxic-and-style-free DS...

NoComet Tue 10-Sep-13 10:58:22

Yes, we have one teacher with a power trip on skirt length.

Everyone else, even the SLT accept that the rules are unworkable because (except on pre growth spurt Y7s) the skirts as sold are too short!

MiaowTheCat Tue 10-Sep-13 09:06:19

You can't GET black shoes without some form of stitching or detailing or design on them - unless they're those ghastly ballet pumps that the kids around here persist in wearing flapping off their feet (brogues haven't reached here as fashionable yet). Only things I can think of that would be utterly plain would be some of the doc marten shoes but then lots of them have the yellow stitching they'd probably take exception to.

As a teacher I'd just be grateful they weren't black trainers trying to sneak in as shoes, things with lights, things with velcro, things with heels or aforementioned ghastly flappy things - but I was never a uniform zealot.

freddiefrog Tue 10-Sep-13 08:35:40

I think some teachers are on a power trip and literally look for things to pick at on a child's appearance.

I think you might be right.

She came home from school yesterday and said that her games teacher had told her she was wearing the wrong type of blouse.

Considering it was the uniform girls blouse bought from directly from the school uniform shop, they can bugger off.

I've told her that all her uniform is absolutely fine so if it happens again to just smile and reply that she'll tell her Mum. Problem being DD can be a bit of a panicker and a complete stickler for rules so she gets upset as they've all had repeated warnings about being sent home/taught in isolation if they're not in correct uniform.

Not really conducive to the easy transition from primary to secondary I was hoping for hmm

madhairday Mon 09-Sep-13 17:23:31

DD has these shoes (Y8). I was amazed when she chose them as I thought they were super sensible, but apparently 'everyone has them.'

Her school is fairly anal about uniform too.. I'm cross at the moment as I struggle getting clothes that fit dd (tall and slim) and had bought her some adult size 6 trousers (had to take them in a bit more) but she got told off that they were 'hipsters' and 'too long' (they were just still a bit loose, I can't find a 4 anywhere and the age 15 ones (only ones long enough) are soooo huge on her. Then she got told her new skirt is too short (longest I could get, can't find adult size bottle green skirts)

So...I feel your pain, and glad it's sorted!!

coco27 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:09:11

My DD had the same shoes last year.When she chose them I thought she would be teased for having such boring granny shoes, but half the class had exactly the same ( which solved one problem but created another!) So they are obviously fashionable round here

shockers Mon 09-Sep-13 17:08:27

DD had those very shoes last term.

SusanneLinder Mon 09-Sep-13 16:58:51

My DD has these

http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-dr-martens-1461-shoe-patent/1349027040/

Even more boring than yours grin

I have found that as she is dyspraxic, these are the only shoes that last a full school year! hmm

Some teachers/schools like to ban anything a bit fashionable. My secondary school introduced a maximum skirt length to go with the long established minimum length because long skirts were in at the time. No practical reason (they weren't maxis, so were weren't all falling up the stairs) and they didn't look intrinsically scruffy. They'd have been better off banning the wearing of white ankle socks over dark tights on the grounds of looking stupid!

Glad you've got it sorted OP. I too was expecting some crazy shoes; can't think how you could possible find school shoes any more suitable than those!!!

Lancelottie Mon 09-Sep-13 16:37:05

Ketchup-coated toddlers -- lovely thought!

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 09-Sep-13 16:36:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RiotsNotDiets Mon 09-Sep-13 16:34:59

Tomato ketchup gets that chlorine green out of blonde hair...... <completely misses point of thread>

Lancelottie Mon 09-Sep-13 16:27:27

Addicted, had your daughter just been swimming? If so, and she's very fair, the pool chemical can cause greening (my brother had green toddlers for weeks after their B&B got its pool chemicals a bit wrong)!

addictedtofarmville Mon 09-Sep-13 16:20:03

Stanley, that is exactly what my DD's school does and I'm sick of it. She is in year 10, and this year they've brought in a new uniform policy, but all teachers seem to have different takes on it. On the uniform policy it says that school skirts must be knee length, black and of a traditional style. I got DD a black, knee length traditional (IMO) school skirt, and she was told off for it on Thursday as apparently the fabric wasn't quite right and needed to be 'stiffer'. She was also told to 'go shopping at the weekend'. Yeah, because we've all got unlimited money to buy more school clothes because of a teacher's bad mood/whim haven't we. DD has very blonde hair and she was also accused (by the school secretary, god knows what it is to do with her) of having green streaks in her hair when she's had nothing of the sort done.

OP, it sounds as though it's a very similar scenario at your DD's school. I think some teachers are on a power trip and literally look for things to pick at on a child's appearance. I only wish my DD's school staff spent as much time teaching as they do fussing over appearances; they might well find their GCSE results and OFSTED ratings improve! DD says that at the start of each lesson there is usually 10 - 20 minutes taken up every lesson by teachers checking pupils uniforms and signing 'uniform reports'.

valiumredhead Mon 09-Sep-13 15:52:53

Good! Result.

freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 15:39:56

Thanks!

Well, got a reply to my email and DD's Head of Year says that shoes are fine.

Have printed off a copy and given it to DD to keep in her pocket in case she gets challenged again

Stanley, yep, I cut and paste it from their website

Since the guidelines do not state 'plain' shoes, I cannot see why the school would object to these shoes. They are sensible and smart, and I hope that the school see sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now