to think these shoes are within uniform regulations?

(78 Posts)
freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 09:53:18

Eldest daughter started secondary school last Wednesday.

This morning, helpfully hmm, she informs me that she was spoken to about her shoes on the way out of school on Friday afternoon as they weren't uniform regulation.

These are the shoes www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355020

The shoe guidelines from their uniform regulations:
Black shoes; no trainers, platform shoes, ‘Uggs’, open toe, canvas shoes or sling backs. Heels should be no higher than 2"

She was in a bit of a panic going in this morning as they've had dire warnings about being sent home or taught in isolation if they don't have correct uniform, but there wasn't a lot I could do about it at 8:15am. She should have told me Friday, but even then, as far as I can see, there's nothing actually wrong with them.

Black - check
Not trainers, platform, open toe, canvas, Uggs or slingbacks - check
Heel lower than 2" - check

I'm really not prepared to buy more shoes. If school want to be really particular about shoes, they should be clearer when they send out the uniform regulations.

freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 10:10:28

By "plain" I'd understand "no labels" or fancy bows.

Same here.

Pretty much all school shoes have some sort of design feature on them. Flicking through the Clarkes' website, all the school shoes in her size range have something on them.

I have given her a note if the issue arises again and will email in the meantime

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 09-Sep-13 10:12:29

I think they are fine - and I think you would struggle at the moment to find anything completely 'plain'!

BackforGood Mon 09-Sep-13 10:13:19

Agree with everyone else - they look like perfect school shoes to me. I too was expecting some 'regulation dodging pair' before I clicked the link blush.

BrokenSunglasses Mon 09-Sep-13 10:13:26

The school are being OTT. I'd be very surprised if shoes like that really are against the schools policy.

Ledkr Mon 09-Sep-13 10:14:10

My dd has those exact shoes and has just started secondary with very strict uniform policy. No probs.
What is actually wrong with them? You can't get shoes that are just plain black with absolutely no detail.
As they are from the Clarks school range she can't be the only one with them surely?

Remotecontrolduck Mon 09-Sep-13 10:15:39

Oh for goodness sake, where do some teachers get off.

I suspect it's just one old dragon who enjoys picking on pupils, and the rest of the staff will have no problems with them. How could you have a problem with shoes like that?! confused

Ignore, there's no way they'd send her home!

Theas18 Mon 09-Sep-13 10:18:20

Mind you, if they DID send her home for wearing decent clarks school shoes to, umm .... school that is a story I'd love to see the school defend in the local press LOL

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 09-Sep-13 10:18:46

My dd has also just started secondary school wearing these shoes. Very strict, New uniform for whole school. Yanbu.

Remotecontrolduck Mon 09-Sep-13 10:19:44

I was about to say that Thea, they would be a nationwide laughing stock!

It must just be one very mean or short sighted teacher!

soverylucky Mon 09-Sep-13 10:20:24

My dd has these shoes. I was delighted that she picked out something so sensible and appropriate. I don't normally spend that much on school shoes but was very pleased to this time.

soverylucky Mon 09-Sep-13 10:21:32
IneedAsockamnesty Mon 09-Sep-13 10:22:13

Email the school with the link to the shoes and ask them to list exactly what is wrong with them with regards to the school policy if nothing request that they instruct staff to cease telling her off.

Print of email response and give to dd to carry with her for the next time that staff member has problems with the shoes.

quoteunquote Mon 09-Sep-13 10:22:16

Completely ridiculous, I fully expected to open the link and for some silly shoes with heel and silly attachments,

Those are perfectly sensible normal school shoes, who ever suggested otherwise needs a good talking to,

Supply your child with some notes to hand to anyone questioning her about her uniform, asking them not to make her uncomfortable and to contact you to discuss any queries.

soverylucky Mon 09-Sep-13 10:22:23

sorry link doesn't work. I am rubbish at that sort of thing.

freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 10:22:26

Thanks!

A lot of her friends were wearing similar last year so I'd imagine a fair few of them will have similar again this year.

We live in the arse end of nowhere and Clarkes or Brantano are it for school shoes so I'd imagine a fair few of the girls will be wearing them.

I'm new to the world of high school so I wondered if I was missing something.

Email sent to school with link to shoes so we'll see what they say.

Scholes34 Mon 09-Sep-13 10:23:36

It must just be one very mean or short sighted teacher! and a teacher who isn't currently buying school shoes for their offspring.

Ledkr Mon 09-Sep-13 10:24:32

Where else would you wear those shoes anyway? Not exactly a fashion choice are they?
Did you e mail yet?

Floggingmolly Mon 09-Sep-13 10:27:47

What's wrong with them?? My dd has a similar pair, as do most of her friends and their school is militant about correct uniform; every item only available (at ridiculous expense) from Peter Jones, no cheapo Tesco stuff for us.
I genuinely can't see anything wrong with them.

freddiefrog Mon 09-Sep-13 10:56:00

Not exactly a fashion choice are they?

I don't know, brogues are very in round here now.

Maybe that's why the teacher didn't like them, but they need to be more specific when writing their guidelines. Although it seems a bit unreasonable to ban brogues just because they're currently fashionable, when they fit their guidelines in all other ways. They're not exactly "bells and whistles" type shoes are they?

Email sent, just awaiting response. If they say the shoes are OK, I'll print it off and give it to DD to take into school with her

NoComet Mon 09-Sep-13 11:09:28

WTF, most of the girls in DDs Y7 had black brogues like that, DD is still wearing hers in Y8.

They are the best school shoes we have ever had. Actually keep the puddles out and stay looking smart.

Tell them to take a running jump.

Scholes34 Mon 09-Sep-13 12:27:47

My daughter's brogues were bought last year and were acceptable to her because they were on the fashionable side. I don't see the problem with having these "fashionable" school shoes. They're certainly practical and conform to the school's rules.

Pachacuti Mon 09-Sep-13 13:25:17

They'll come back with an amendment to the policy wording:

Black shoes; no trainers, platform shoes, ‘Uggs’, open toe, canvas shoes or sling backs. No shoes that any child of the same age would be seen dead in voluntarily. Heels should be no higher than 2". Shoes may not look nice .

WhoremoaneeGrainger Mon 09-Sep-13 14:06:21

My Dd has also just started high school last week, and wore similar shoes to those (she has size 8 feet, and they were the most practical ones we agreed on). I hope they don't complain about hers, 'cos they actually cost £56....on top of over £200 quid for a new uniform, plus new "non marking sole" trainers and new footie boots.

And after what i saw walking out of the school on Friday.......well. There would have to be almost half the girls sent home if those shoes aren't acceptable.

GoldenGytha Mon 09-Sep-13 14:15:39

They look fine to me, can't understand why the teacher has a problem, unless it's something so ridiculous like those shoes are very masculine looking, and might the teacher be very old fashioned and have a problem with girls wearing what she sees as boys shoes?

That isn't my opinion, btw, just thought the teacher might be thinking along those lines.

Ledkr Mon 09-Sep-13 14:44:38

Is it the stitching they object to?
I'm wondering wear one can buy smooth black shoes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now