Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think it is polite for people with buggies to fold them when a bus is busy

(269 Posts)
SilverStreak7 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:19:14

I suppose this will have mixed replies .

I am not talking of prams with sleeping babies in or even the buggies with sleeping toddlers in but those parents whom have a buggy with say a 4 year old in who is awake and who will not fold down said buggy when a single decker is getting very packed .

The other day I was on a bus and two buggies were on there , one had one of those boards at the back where an older child can stand (I do not know what they are called as never had one) , Now, the child was asleep but that is not the issue ,, The Mother watched an elderly lady slowly go by as this board was sticking out , then another pram tried to leave the bus and only at the last minute (after much struggling by the leaving Mother) did she push up the board ! Ive also seen people refuse to fold them up as a wheelchair wishes to get on .

kd73 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:43:18

Last time I got on a bus a few weeks ago, folded the pushchair so ds could have a seat and found nowhere to store folded buggy. Luckily the bus wasn't busy and I rested it in the area for buggies and wheelchairs but it took up three times the space!!!!!!!!!

RoonilWazlibWuvsHermyown Mon 09-Sep-13 09:44:00

empire, if you read the guidelines of a bus company, some of them have details about the types of prams they accept. For example, my local buses say that any pram must be foldable to allow for wheelchair users and if you get on without a folding pram, you have to be prepared to leave the bus. So if you get on with a travel system that can't fold, you would have to leave the bus if a wheelchair user wanted to board.

And prams/pushchairs in general, if you can sit there on the bus and not fold, preventing someone with a wheelchair getting on the bus in the one spot that they are able to use and feel okay about it, you are a dick.

kd73 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:45:21

I have also been refused access on a bus as too many buggies for mine as well as everyone else's!!!!

GobblersKnob Mon 09-Sep-13 09:45:49

When I had my ds (only 9 years ago) the only buses on my route had STEPS to get onto them, (obviously not wheelchair friendly which was crap and I am glad they are now changed) but I had no choice but to fold my buggy, just to get onto the bus, plus I used to bus to do the vast majority of my food shopping, so quite often I had a sleeping small person a buggy and serveral bag of shopping, hard work, but perfectly do-able.

Personally I think life would be so much simpler if you HAD to fold your buggy to board the bus, otherwise find an alternative means of transport.

Those bus spaces you wheel your buggy into, were only put there for wheelchairs, sadly wheelchair users cannot opt for the 'inconvenience' of having to fold their wheelchair and carry it onto the bus.

gnushoes Mon 09-Sep-13 09:46:51

Wheelchairs have priority over buggies. Those spaces are for wheelchair users, and can be used for buggies if no wheelchair is there. I learned this properly from a very long and increasingly acrimonious thread here about a year ago...

Dobbiesmum Mon 09-Sep-13 09:49:35

It would be helpful though if buses had somewhere to store buggies, the last time I folded up I almost took out the eye of the poor bloke behind me with the handle and I only have a little stroller! blush

HeyUGuys Mon 09-Sep-13 09:52:06

Also ive seen people with pushchairs refused to be allowed on as there are too many already on, then watched as a mother with a pushchair gets off at the next stop! I think thats awful, letting the other woman wait 20 mins or so when you only had to walk 2 mins down the road.

I would take a sleeping baby out for a wheelchair user, but i've found people wont often help unless asked too. I've had a driver get out and help me get my folder pushchair off the bus once before, i was amazed as this had never happened before, or since!

passmetheprozac Mon 09-Sep-13 09:52:26

I use the buss frequently and the signs on the bus state that buggies and prams may use the wheelchair space, however if someone using a wheelchair needs to get on the bus, buggies and prams will have to be folded.

SHarri13 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:52:51

Our buses have wheelchair spaces that have notices that say prams/ pushchairs can use then should they be free. I was once using one and a wheelchair user came on, I was going to get off but said person used the wheelchair area and insisted I stayed on in the space left. Everyone was happy, we had a good chat on the way home in fact. But my point being, I would, without question get off the bus should a person more in need of the spa e came on just as I would give up my seat should someone more in need board the bus. My pram at the time was not an easy fold on so folding wasn't really an option. Maybe my synced would be a little different if it wasn't a 7-8 bus hourly route?

Always fold or move for wheelchairs.

SilverStreak7 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:56:29

Yes, that is selfish HeyUGuys I agree.

SilverStreak7 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:57:05

Thanks for the replies ,, was just curious as to others opinions on this .

candycoatedwaterdrops Mon 09-Sep-13 09:57:38

Lyra It would be more unfair to allow a pram use the wheelchair space when - with a little help - the pram could be folded/moved out the way and the wheelchair user could use the space they are entitled to.

MrsOakenshield Mon 09-Sep-13 09:58:30

for a wheelchair, either you fold or get off if folding isn't practical (sleeping baby, lots of shopping etc). But this is an instance of someone struggling to get past, so folding to create space wouldn't really be the answer, but she should have folded up the buggy board and pushed in the handle(if possible) to ensure the buggy doesn't stick out in to the aisle too much.

MrsOakenshield Mon 09-Sep-13 10:00:25

heyUguys - it's possible the first mother hadn't seen the second? Our buses can get so rammed you wouldn't neccesarily be able to see what's going on at the front doors from the wheelchair/buggy space.

WandaDoff Mon 09-Sep-13 10:00:32

Dear God, being able to take unfolded prams & pushchairs on the bus at all is a luxury.

As anybody who had children & had to use public transport before the millenium will probably already know hmm

It was only after the disability discrimination act in 2005 insisted on public transport being accessible that things changed.

I know I sound like a gimmer, but back in my day It's so much easier to use public transport now.

If you have a runaway toddler & there are no wheelchair users involved then it'd be stupid to fold up the buggy. Someone would've had to offer to wrestle DS to the ground whilst I folded up his buggy, but luckily I never had to in the time that I did need to use buses.

I don't get why people who don't use wheelchairs or buggies give a shit though. As long as you've made sure it's not sticking out in the aisle then you have as much right to be on the bus as everyone else. The funny thing is, all the huffers and puffers would've much more pissed off if I'd have let DS free on the bus. You just can't win...which is why it's best to just do what suits you if there's room (as long as you're not parking it in the middle of the aisle obviously).

No option here but to fold a buggy. No fold no ride. The area you are all talking about is for wheelchairs only. I used a sling. Much easier all round.

^ Before anyone misreads that, if there's a wheelchair then you have to fold, no question. But expecting people to when they don't need to is unreasonable.

ScornedWoman Mon 09-Sep-13 10:04:37

Surely, if you know you're likely to be using buses, you choose a suitably practical, ie foldable, pushchair - or sling?

Weegiemum Mon 09-Sep-13 10:05:30

I was going to rant but I won't much

I think if you are planning on using public transport lots, you should be responsible and buy a buggy which doesn't take up half the bus. You should always graciously give way to wheelchairs, even if it means getting off.

And not everyone knows, but a Major buggy is technically classed as a wheelchair, so an older child with a disability in a Major should also be given precedence over a buggy or pram.

Nowhere at all to.put folded stroller (plus shopping bags) on our super-new and shiny busses.

Never had a problem with people helping wheelchair users, everyone automatically moves and some offer help. Our town is very big on disability access though.

The problem we have is women with shopping trolleys, sit on the front seat and have the trolley taking up aisle space and refusing to share the seat. Seriously sick of this happening. I once asked if I could squeeze past one woman (I was pregnant at the time) and she told me I had enough space to stand where I was! A man on the opposite side then gave me his seat and said very loudly "ignorant cow" lol.

Oh and she was in her late 40's, early 50's at a guess, before anybody accuses me of being disrespectful to the elderly been on far too many of these threads

Weegie, you are at the other end of the M8 to me, do they have he same rules as Lothian busses?

Runningchick123 Mon 09-Sep-13 10:08:56

As wannadoff has pointed out; accessible spaces were only introduced as part of the discrimination act so it stands to reason that a wheelchair user should always have priority use of that space.
The argument that some pushchairs are too difficult to fold up doesn't wash with me as if you ae going t be a regular public transport user then you should consider a suitable type of pushchair which can be easily folded with one hand - baby taken off in car seat / small carrycot etc. no point buying a coach pram etc if you have to get a bus everyday.
But maybe I just think like this because mine were babies prior to the mass introduction of accessible buses so I had to consider getting a folded buggy and possibly sleeping child up the steps of a bus.

elliejjtiny Mon 09-Sep-13 10:12:35

I think people with buggies should fold or get off when a wheelchair user needs to get on the bus, but don't think they should have to fold if the bus gets busy. I think anyone who is able should get off the bus one or two stops earlier if the bus is too full to let anyone else on though. I think if the bus fares were cheaper then people would be more considerate. I know when I've paid £5 for me and my 7 year old to travel 1.5 miles (younger children are free) and usually waited over an hour to get on a bus that has space for the buggy and DS2's wheelchair I'm less inclined to be helpful to other passengers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now