Ahhhh night time feeds

(67 Posts)
Beautifulbabyboy Mon 09-Sep-13 03:46:02

So ds2 is 5 weeks old. And I have just remembered the joy of night time feeds!!

AIBU to think the worst part is that tense but hopeful moment when they have finished feeding, have been burped and nappy changed and are in a lovely dozy state and you attempt to put them back in the Moses basket and you hold your breath..... Because that is the moment a perfectly happily 45 min night time feed has the potential to become a 2 hour nightmare as they decide not to settle / wriggle and writhe etc and you end up repeating the feed / burping / changing over and over again!!

I am currently holding my breath....

islingtongirl Sat 14-Sep-13 13:03:32

Hi Summer - I'm breastfeeding, although have been expressing a couple of times and she takes the bottle pretty well now. So sadly cant solve this by changing milk or teat size confused. Having said that we had a better night last night, although she is still waking to feed every 1.5-2 hours there wasn't as much screaming! How is everyone else today?

SummerSevern Fri 13-Sep-13 12:41:11

Islington that's what my dd was doing. We switched to reflux milk which solved the problem but gave her horrendous constipation. So now we're trying comfort milk. Fingers crossed.
Alternatively, do you think she might be ready for the next sized teat?

Feminine Fri 13-Sep-13 12:04:32

I think if you feed them on the basket liner/mattress it will be easier to place them down...(same temperature)

Pick them all up together... Of course this idea is tricky once they move to a cot ! wink

Good luck with all.

islingtongirl Fri 13-Sep-13 11:11:11

Hi everyone - how are you all doing? Ive had a rough few nights...DD doesn't seem to want to settle, feeding every hour or so,v fussy at feeds, crying, arching away etc but still wants to feed - do you think this is wind/reflux? Feeling v sleep deprived today!

Boosiehs mine would fuss and fall asleep I would remove clothes, tickle, wiggle, blow, sing talk. He would still fall asleep. To top it off he was full of wind and after being put to bed would cry and grunt with wind. He grew out of it by 2 months and now eats like a trooper and never grunts.

SourSweets Fri 13-Sep-13 04:17:10

The worst is when you hear a massive poo, get up to change and realise it was just wind with a little fart residue.

Mouserama Fri 13-Sep-13 04:12:30

I only change the nappy if there is poo. Wee nappies can wait!

SummerSevern Fri 13-Sep-13 03:08:41

I only change if there's poop. I was told nappy rash is caused by urine mixing with poo, so just wet on its own is fine.

SourSweets Thu 12-Sep-13 06:15:29

I change once or twice a night, only ever before a feed rather than after as I don't want to wake him.

Mooster1709 Wed 11-Sep-13 02:14:44

I try not to change at night, but always feel guilty... Thing is, if I change her she's wide awake and will thn take an hour to go back to sleep.

riskit4abiskit Tue 10-Sep-13 23:35:47

How often does everyone change nappies during the night? In the day we change before or after every feed. Midwife said it was fine to miss a change at night if its just wet but our little fellow seems to do lots of poos at a week old and I don't want to leave him in poo.

Boosiehs Tue 10-Sep-13 05:21:47

Thanks all. We're using "pink noise" to help DS settle. It's not quite as random as white noise seems to be helping.

This feed seems less difficult. More awake and feeding better. I guess that's the way it goes !

Ah, 5.20 am. Lovely. Now if I could just do something with my elephantine ankles and feet that would be nice.

PuddingAndHotMilk Tue 10-Sep-13 05:14:25

Oooh, can I join? I also struggle with the dreaded MBM and the angle of the dangle is a nightmare!
DD is 6wo and like a pp said I completely understand how sleep deprivation is used as torture!

Some nights she's so fast asleep on the boob I don't wind or change her for fear of making the 30 min 'splash and dash' into a 2 hour marathon I then lie in bed feeling guilty so don't sleep anyway sad

Hope you and your LOs are all sleeping soundly. About to attempt the MBM, wish me luck!

Mooster1709 Tue 10-Sep-13 04:12:32

Oh I thought I'd got lucky tonight - DH took a bottle feed slot that I thought would be about 11pm, I went to bed and heard nothing more until 3.00 (poor DH had a bit of a disaster it seems -hope this won't put him off, it was our first attempt at him doing an expressed bottle). Now have a Moses basket refuser on my hands again...

I'm afraid I can'thelpmuch with the sleepy baby problem - i tried blowing on dd's face when she did it? The kellymom website had some good tips I think, on breast massage/ compression as well which might help?

BraveLilBear Tue 10-Sep-13 03:43:24

Morning all. Anyone else find the MBM is severely affected by the angle of approach? Ours is against a wall so baby head on left, piece of cake. Baby head on right tho- like trying to snow spray a window with one's weak hand while leaning out (after 3 glasses of wine).

DS (7 weeks) has nodded off. Am giving him the obligatory one more game on solitaire to check he's definitely asleep....

BinarySolo Tue 10-Sep-13 03:37:35

My first Ds was badly jaundiced and had phototherapy. He was very sleepy so it was difficult to feed him. I used to change his nappy, tickle his feet and strip him off a bit to try to wake him up. Ds2 latched on for a feed minutes after being born. I can't believe the difference!

ElleBelly Tue 10-Sep-13 02:20:33

Been awake on the boob over an hour now here...suspect DS is just nibbling and taking his time, and why not, it's not as if anyone needs any sleep (!) am wrestling with my conscience about do I change his bum or put him straight back in crib once he's dozed off... On recent form it'll be less than two hours till he's up again.
I wish I had some advice Boosiehs I was told to wake DS to feed when he was small cos he was jaundiced, it's not easy to wake them though if they don't want to be woken! Plus they don't feed properly if they're sleepy. Good luck though, I'd just offer him the boob as much ad possible when awake.

Boosiehs Tue 10-Sep-13 02:08:36

I'm now getting paranoid that I'm not offering enough milk to the baby. He fed 20 mins ish in one side then only about 10 on the other.

Midwife said he'd lost too much at first weigh in do an trying to feed him up! He's just really sleepy after the first 10 mins or so. I even changed his nappy after first noob to try and wake him but to no avail!

He's a big baby (born 9lb11), not sure whether anyone else has any experience of this ?

sad

riskit4abiskit Tue 10-Sep-13 01:07:48

Hello! Have 6 day old DS asleep on my lap in bed
Have been wrestling with winding him, hope I can get some sleep soon!!

SourSweets Mon 09-Sep-13 23:24:42

Hello again. I went to bed at 8.30 tonight purely because baby was sleeping and I thought fuck it, this might not happen again. So it's only 11.20 and I'm on my second woke-up-to-feed feed.

I also have an incredibly grunty baby. I even started a thread about it a while back because I had no idea babies did that!

BinarySolo Mon 09-Sep-13 13:21:39

Well ds2 has put on nearly 1lb since last weighed a week ago! Midwife has given me a gold star and called me breast feeder of the week!!

SummerSevern Mon 09-Sep-13 07:31:49

I'm in too!
Just got 7wo dd down after a mammoth bout of constipation, involving me holding her legs and shouting 'Push!Push!' like she was in labour.
Not a bad night though. Fed at 9, 2 and 6 and went down relatively well, thanks to the good old Tranquil Turtle.
Shame I've been up all night with a cold!

Boosiehs Mon 09-Sep-13 07:27:39

Just hit 2 hours awake and feeding for most of that! I think ive run out of milk!!!!

Boosiehs Mon 09-Sep-13 07:22:20

Definitely going to try the hot water bottle. I've been putting a blanket round DS when finishing feeding and winding so its warm when he goes in the crib. Dies that stop working??

White noise seems v useful. smile

HelgatheHairy Mon 09-Sep-13 07:12:00

Good to know the grunting is normal but its baffling how someone so small can make noises that loud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now