Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To detest most scouse celebrities

(370 Posts)
Afroturf Sat 07-Sep-13 14:59:25

Cilla Black, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Tarbuck et al - celebrities who take every opportunity to remind us about their days in Scottie Road and all who, coincidentally, moved away from the city years ago.

What fake accents....I have never heard anyone else speak with Cilla Black's particular accent.

And now bloody Les Dennis has reared his head. God, how I've loathed him on Celebrity Masterchef - another one harking back about 'me Mam and Dad in Liverpool'. Fuck off. He was on radio 2 this morning with Rhod Gilbert and, my word, what a fucking name dropping twat. It was embarrassing.

I am not a fan.

Now I must mention that I'm from Liverpool, a city I love and live in today. I can't, however, abide these 'professional scousers' who go on and on about where they're from. Perhaps it's to try and fool us plebs that they are one of us. Again, do fuck off.

I don't want this thread to descend into an anti-Liverpool rant as my city is a very special place but wonder if anyone agrees with me. I think it's probably the fact that they come from the same place as me that I have a particular distain for them. I dare say that slebs from other parts of the UK annoy folk from their neck of the woods too.

uselessinformation Sat 26-Oct-13 18:14:04

Gary Barlow doesn't sound Mancunian at all. He has the accent of where he is from, Frodsham. you could say you could detect some wirral in his accent but not manc.

007Fab Sat 26-Oct-13 17:33:32

What about the kids from OUR DAY OUT ? They have been celebrities to young people studying GCSE's for years. As it was on the national curriculum.

Whatever happened to the kids from Our Day Out ? Does anybody know ?

007Fab Sat 26-Oct-13 17:09:06

I think I read somewhere about Bob Marley's Father having a Liverpool link, but I think he only lived in Liverpool. I also read somewhere that Bob Marley had lived in Toxteth with his mother in his early childhood ? Has anybody else read or heard this ?

007Fab Sat 26-Oct-13 17:06:52

Does Daniel Craig count ? He's from Frodsham and went to school with Ray Stubbs. Ray Stubbs sounds like a Scouser.

Then again, I think I read that Gary Barlow was from Frodsham, and he sounds pure Manc. He really grates on me !!!!! All that fawning around the Royals and coming out as a Tory !

Jeff Bridges, his Grandad was a Scouser. But he said he's never been to Liverpool, but does understand about the humour.

AaDB Wed 11-Sep-13 19:47:58

I'm surprised at the number of old school gals on this thread. shock shockwink wine wine wine winewine . Especially Woolly, cos we both now reside in the Midlands.

My Brummie friends love going out in Liverpool. I love going out to eat in, Birmingham so it all works out. grin

Leonard Rossiter and Tom Baker are my fave surprise Liverpudlians.

Thank God they'd got rid of the hats when I started. Whoever designed the uniform must have been on a bad trip grin When my DD refused to wear her summer dress in Year 6 she couldn't believe that I had had to wear one until I was 16.

Meeting my St. Eddie's boyfriend at the end of school we must have looked like an explosion in a paint factory. blush

Notsoskinnyminny Wed 11-Sep-13 19:35:48

TWW and AaDB - I went to that school, they still wore Donny Osmond hats when I started.

The Baby El was my drinking haunt for years until I was 'old enough' to go into town. My haunts were Uglies and Quinns and a bit later Streets, Kirklands, Plummers and the Conti, the Razz was a bit too studenty for me but not as bad as the Cabin!

I had my hen night at The Raz classy bird, me

gymboywalton Wed 11-Sep-13 17:30:09

alan has finally retired????? is dave still the dj??? has nicky retired too? the blonde barmaid? you know she was alan's wife??

yoda11 Wed 11-Sep-13 10:12:31

They should be taking off the tv cant stand there stupid accents.

AaDB Wed 11-Sep-13 09:41:46

Ah The Raz. Ha to Steamboats.

AndFanjoWasHisNameO Wed 11-Sep-13 02:55:23

Ooh underage steamboats in the baby Elephant in Woolton and then over to the cinema where you could STILL SMOKE!!! Like whilst the film was on.
Loving the fact that an apostrophe makes us all 'mawkish' btw sad
I love these reminiscing threads...I went back to the Raz last year in a very drunk 'remember me-get Alan, I don't have to pay' kind of way and they gave me a pitiful look, informed me that he'd retired and to please get to the back of the queue. blush

MangoTiramisu Wed 11-Sep-13 01:39:26

Yes I did. Which school did you go to?

timidviper Tue 10-Sep-13 23:46:43

Mango, I spent a lot of my younger years therel. Did you grow up there?

AaDB Tue 10-Sep-13 18:20:58

Mango, you are a scouser. Defo.

AaDB Tue 10-Sep-13 18:20:09

Why Wool, I think we were!shock wink grin. I can prove it by telling you the cinema by Elephant had the skirt fabric on their seats.

Mango, "hubcaps" moniker would give me the rage. They better not ducking dare.

bottleofbeer Tue 10-Sep-13 13:11:35

Hub caps? that's shit! I could think up way better ways to insult myself.

Oh, and I don't want a purple wheeliebin snoots. I mean it's not going to go with anybody's external décor is it? unless they live in Balamory.

In fact, we don't get trusted with any wheeliebin. The council reckons we'll set our houses on fire if we have one because the front yardens are too small.

Ooh AaDB grin i wonder if we were at school together. Where you there with the petrol blue and pink uniform? Yuk!

I'm in my mid 40's. I have fond memories of boozy lunchtimes evenings in the Baby Elephant.

One of my neighbours has a purple wheelie bin. It stands out among the sea of green and brown ones here. I do wonder if anywhere other than Liverpool has purple bins. smile

MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 12:17:33

P.s. Im a scouser, Phew. Thought I was a "Maghulliback"

MangoTiramisu Tue 10-Sep-13 12:16:42

AaDB when I lived in London I was called "hub caps" by someone I worked with the whole time. It used to bother me but doesn't now. In fact I'm glad I was brought up in a place that made me street wise and able to take cracks. I look at some of the pickles my friends and extended family get into and it amazes me that they can't give as good as they get.

elcranko Tue 10-Sep-13 11:23:49

If I leave my house and walk for five minutes I reach the City of Liverpool - Walton sign. If I do that now then would it be acceptable for me to order that mini purple wheelie bin?

bottleofbeer Tue 10-Sep-13 11:02:56

Ohhh you went over to the dark side?

bites fist god bless you!

Growlithe Tue 10-Sep-13 10:23:23

I live on the Wirral now and believe it or not that is not the first Wirral Calendar I've seen.

bottleofbeer Tue 10-Sep-13 10:20:59

I'd buy that little wheelie bin right now if it was just a mini bin. The caption on it ruins it because it's too touristy which would be weird because I live here.

I am buying that exotic Wirral 2014 calendar though.

bottleofbeer Tue 10-Sep-13 10:19:22

You're a scouser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now