To detest most scouse celebrities

(370 Posts)
Afroturf Sat 07-Sep-13 14:59:25

Cilla Black, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Tarbuck et al - celebrities who take every opportunity to remind us about their days in Scottie Road and all who, coincidentally, moved away from the city years ago.

What fake accents....I have never heard anyone else speak with Cilla Black's particular accent.

And now bloody Les Dennis has reared his head. God, how I've loathed him on Celebrity Masterchef - another one harking back about 'me Mam and Dad in Liverpool'. Fuck off. He was on radio 2 this morning with Rhod Gilbert and, my word, what a fucking name dropping twat. It was embarrassing.

I am not a fan.

Now I must mention that I'm from Liverpool, a city I love and live in today. I can't, however, abide these 'professional scousers' who go on and on about where they're from. Perhaps it's to try and fool us plebs that they are one of us. Again, do fuck off.

I don't want this thread to descend into an anti-Liverpool rant as my city is a very special place but wonder if anyone agrees with me. I think it's probably the fact that they come from the same place as me that I have a particular distain for them. I dare say that slebs from other parts of the UK annoy folk from their neck of the woods too.

Greydog Sat 07-Sep-13 15:31:50

I've never heard a real Liverpudlian talk like some of thes famous folk. My Aunties parish church is the Anglican Cathedral, my cousin got married there - no one speaks like Cilla Black. She was on with Paul O'grady the other week and I had to turn the telly off. Pretentious bitch

ThwartedbyMum Sat 07-Sep-13 15:33:51

John Bishop was born in Liverpool and moved to Runcorn when he was a child, does he still count as a wool? The only reason I ask is I was born in Liverpool but grew up in Birkenhead but have now moved back to Liverpool. I have never really been sure if I am scouse or not!

FuzzyWuzzywasaWoman Sat 07-Sep-13 15:34:44

Claire Sweeney.

<shoots self>

MrsDeVere Sat 07-Sep-13 15:37:06

I am not a fan of CB.
I love Alexis though.

Shall we discuss Mockneys?

OH.MY.DAYS.

Growlithe Sat 07-Sep-13 15:38:18

John Bishop is from Widnes, and Emlyn Hughes wasn't scouse.

Peter Sissons is an acceptable scouser. But he doesn't sound very scouse.

I opened this thread knowing it was a scouser who started it, because as everyone knows, only scousers can slag off scousers.

And I say that as a scouser.

TallulahBetty Sat 07-Sep-13 15:38:28

Tina Malone, anyone? angry

YANBU. Gets on my wick too.

I actually can't think of anyone who plays up to being a scouser that doesn't irritate me. As Lovecat said the ones who don't trade on their scouseness don't need to as they are funny/talented regardless - not because they come from Liverpool.

I love Paul O'Grady and thought the show he did on being working class was brilliant - but I had to turn it over when "Our Cilla" came on. It was like fingernails down a blackboard.

I was born in Liverpool but have lived in the midlands for over 20 years. I don't have much of an accent although I sound like Aveline from Bread after a visit to my mum grin Someone that has lived in the leafy Home Counties for two thirds of their life would surely not sound like some of these "professional scousers"

KoalaFace Sat 07-Sep-13 15:38:50

Ooh Thwarted you've thrown a spanner in the works now!

If he was born in Liverpool I suppose I'm going to have to eat my words and say I suppose he is "from Liverpool".

His accent is still inexplicable though.

Afroturf Sat 07-Sep-13 15:43:18

Oh no, Paul O'Grady is another one except he's from across the Mersey in Birkenhead. And my word, don't we know about it. Of course, resides deep in the Kent countryside now wink

John Bishop - I used to hear him on Radio City years ago, well before he was nationally famous, and couldn't bear him. He's another one that plays the Liverpool card but actually grew up and spent the majority of his childhood in Runcorn. I have to let him off a bit as he was born in Huyton.

See the footballers, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard etc don't bother me at all. The play/ed and live in the city (well, Stevie lives in Formby) and are proud of where they're from and do a lot for the local and wider areas and charities. I suppose the other reason why they don't bother me is that they don't go on and on about Liverpool because they don't need to. They are themselves. can you tell I'm a red? Even Wayne Rooney doesn't bother me too much, even if he does play for that team grin

Afroturf Sat 07-Sep-13 15:44:31

Tina Malone and fucking Margi Clarke angry

squoosh Sat 07-Sep-13 15:45:07

Can't believe you didn't include Ringo Starr! He's a knobber of knobbish proportions. Didn't he make derogatory remarks about Liverpool a couple of years ago?

The celebs given as examples are all indeed worth your disdain.

KoalaFace Sat 07-Sep-13 15:46:12

You know who I do love though?

Stephen Graham

Brilliant actor, proud to be from Liverpool but doesn't go on about it.

KoalaFace Sat 07-Sep-13 15:47:33

Ringo makes me stabby. But then he hates Liverpool and we hate him so we all know where we stand.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sat 07-Sep-13 15:47:53

I'm starting to think I have never heard a genuine scouse accent.

Afroturf Sat 07-Sep-13 15:50:56

Yes, Koala Stephen Graham is a great actor, very underrated in my opinion.

Can I also throw in Chris Evans? Not from Liverpool, of course, but Warrington and seems to mention it every time I listen to his breakfast show which is probably not that often

Right, off to drop DD at a party, will think of some more while I'm out.

squoosh Sat 07-Sep-13 15:51:09

There is something about certain celebs who try to shake off their regional accent as though it's something to be ashamed of, it really irritates me.

Lulu (she's despised in Glasgow)
Cilla
Robson Green
Donna Air
Billie Piper

Gah!

timidviper Sat 07-Sep-13 15:51:31

I am another exiled scouser who hates the plastic scouse celebs with a passion. Cilla Black, Jimmy Tarbuck and Paul McCartney are all nauseating.

I have a very faint accent most of the time but it comes back when I go to Liverpool, meet up with old friends, get drunk or get angry. DCs know they are in trouble when they are shouted at on scouse! How CB and PM end up with such strong yet mangled accents is beyond me. I hate them.

Can I please add Jason Isaacs to the list of Scousers we love. On top of everything else he's a reds fan too. smile

KoalaFace Sat 07-Sep-13 15:55:59

Yes Jason Isaacs is great. And your name is brilliant.

I agree! My bugbear is the ones who are not actually from liverpool ie mel c, Paul o Grady, Nicola Roberts etc. and I'm another scouser smile

squoosh Sat 07-Sep-13 15:58:20

I would like to do things to Jason Isaacs.

Growlithe Sat 07-Sep-13 15:59:17

Stephen Graham is such a brilliant actor. He terrifies me. I would hate to meet him in the flesh.

To be fair to Margi Clarke, she used to work in Kittlewoods Pools. I worked there years after her with a woman who was once a trainee on her team (or group as they were called). She got up to all sorts to avoid the supervisor. My friend met her by chance in Kirkby town centre. She was famous by then but took my friend for a coffee to reminisce. They were there hours laughing and joking and she was very genuine apparently.

Lizzylou Sat 07-Sep-13 15:59:55

Lulu! I have heard her give interviews in broad Glaswegian, then on other occasions an English accent then a transatlantic drawl. Depends on the audience.
I bloody loathe that woman.

I do love John Bisop though. He has great cheekbones and thighs blush First saw him in panto when he was on local radio only. He was a magnificent Captain. Mind you he didn't have much competition as the other males were Chesney Hawkes and Darren wankface Day.

Lizzylou Sat 07-Sep-13 16:00:35

Jason Isaacs, don't care where he's from, he is wonderful.

pokesandprodsforthelasttime Sat 07-Sep-13 16:01:21

I agree on the whole.

I love Tom Baker though. His accent isn't scouse but his outlook and surreal humour is grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now