To think kissing a family member on the lips isn't weird

(151 Posts)
DrinkFromMyFountain Sat 07-Sep-13 14:44:50

I kissed my sister on the lips today to say goodbye in front of my friend. My friend afterwards said to me that she found it weird and almost incestuous shock.

It was a peck not a full on snog!

I kiss ds like this as well (although he is only a baby)

PaulSmenis Sun 08-Sep-13 15:49:57

I'm not a tactile person and I would find such a thing mortifying, but some people do it and that's normal for them. I think you friend is the one who's being a bit odd here OP.

I used to think it was a bit weird and only ever kissed DP on the lips. But when DS came along it seemed natural to kiss him on the lips too. I will probably only do it while he's small though. My mum made a comment once about me kissing DS on the lips but I just ignored her and she hasn't mentioned it again.

MamaLazarou Sun 08-Sep-13 14:35:17

I only kiss my husband and young son on the lips. Lip-kissing between adult family members is gross and creepy!

MrsDavidBowie Sun 08-Sep-13 14:35:09

I don't even kiss dh on the lips. Hate it.

Ladysamantha Sun 08-Sep-13 14:13:41

it is weird to kiss anyone except your partner on the lips. I think it is wrong.

bonbonpixie Sun 08-Sep-13 04:03:42

Don't think it's weird at all. It's your family and you love them. It's just a kiss goodbye. But then I don't mind showing emotion. I have a few friends that are very up tight about stuff like this. They don't kiss or cuddle their loved ones at all. Makes me sad.

BOF Sun 08-Sep-13 03:54:47

With family, it's just how it lands. It's brief. It's not weird.

MummyBeerest Sun 08-Sep-13 03:16:54

Normal to me. My family is dysfunctional but affectionate. So kissing meant all was well.

Secretswitch Sun 08-Sep-13 03:11:34

Huggy family here. Kisses reserved for husband and children.

Leavenheath Sun 08-Sep-13 02:16:35

Completely normal in our family for siblings to kiss eachother on the lips and it's got nothing to do with youth; we're all very middle-aged.

Prissyknickers Sun 08-Sep-13 02:02:52

It's wierd to me. I kiss my boys all the time but not on the lips and wouldn't dream of kissing mum or db on lips but don't think it would phase me if I saw someone else kissing a family member on the lips. Each to their own.

atrcts Sun 08-Sep-13 01:15:22

Ah - gotcha! wink

AgadorSpartacus Sat 07-Sep-13 22:43:19

atrcts - sorry that last bit was actually to posters up thread who said that lip kisses are sexual. Didn't mean you blush grin

atrcts Sat 07-Sep-13 22:40:40

Agador - I wasn't saying I think kissing your kids is sexual - just that adults kissing in the lips seems intimate and I see it as a sexual and not platonic arrangement! I gave the analogy of feeling comfortable in the bath with my toddler (a bit like kissing on the lips) but wouldn't be happy with either in regard to my in-laws, or even my own close family, because I see it as a step too far in a different-than-spouse-or-young-kids kind of a way grin

WhoDat Sat 07-Sep-13 22:30:44

I kiss DH, my kids, my parents, my bro, my aunts, some uncles, my grandaprents, my cousins and a good few of my besties on the lips. I have had plenty of freaked out reactions to it - shrugs - and of course that awkward shuffled when I go for it with someone I've forgotten isn't down with that sort of thing grin

Back2Two Sat 07-Sep-13 22:26:45

Is it weird to kiss your young children on the lips? Wow. Just wow.

FreudiansSlipper Sat 07-Sep-13 22:26:10

Normal

but not something my family does

though i would think it odd a little odd an inlaw kissing me on the lips or maybe that is just my ex inlaws

AgadorSpartacus Sat 07-Sep-13 22:26:04

atrcts - for me it is only the people I love and feel comfortable with. I have kissed my parents and immediate family on the lips all my life.

My feelings about my in laws are many and complex. I do not care about them nor love them nor feel comfortable with them. I have boundaries which they sit firmly outside of as far as lip kissing is concerned. Or any kissing for that matter.

I am still confused as to how a closed mouthed 'mwah' on the lips to your children could be deemed as sexual. I think that way of thinking is weird.

Back2Two Sat 07-Sep-13 22:25:59

I kiss lovely female friends on the lips if we love each other a lot.

My dad kissed me on the lips until an age when i was too old and it made me uncomfortable.

Of course I kiss my boys on the lips but (because of me not liking my dad doing it) I'll respect them and not do it when it seems inappropriate (I'm sure I'll know when they don't want it any more).

barnet Sat 07-Sep-13 22:24:32

I kiss the kids alot but not on the lips. Hug and kiss parents and friends but lip kissing is just for partners, for me!

squoosh Sat 07-Sep-13 22:22:20

Whatever about kissing people on the lips I find it shocking and sad that some people have never hugged or kissed their parents. Literally no affectionate physical contact.

LaFataTurchina Sat 07-Sep-13 22:20:37

I still find it odd that some?most? British people kiss their children on the lips.

catsrus Sat 07-Sep-13 22:16:16

I come from a totally non tactile family - I don't recall ever hugging or kissing my parents. ExDh's family are cheek kissers - I adapted. I have friends whose families were lip kissers and who lip kiss me. I adapted.

To be honest, despite being a pretty non- demonstrative person, it's not a big deal for me to adopt the norms of the people I care about. If I don't like them or care about them I wouldn't want to hug or kiss anyway.

atrcts Sat 07-Sep-13 22:12:46

Out of interest - those of you who merrily kiss on the lips but won't do that for in-laws, why is this? In wondering what's the difference to the lip kissers?!!!

Nerfmother Sat 07-Sep-13 21:48:33

Sooooo weird how it divides people! Kisses on lips for sexual partners only. Kisses on cheeks etc for family and friends. Grossed out by the idea of kissing one of the dcs in the lips. Except ds (age 5) always sneaks this in! Yuk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now