To think kissing a family member on the lips isn't weird

(151 Posts)
DrinkFromMyFountain Sat 07-Sep-13 14:44:50

I kissed my sister on the lips today to say goodbye in front of my friend. My friend afterwards said to me that she found it weird and almost incestuous shock.

It was a peck not a full on snog!

I kiss ds like this as well (although he is only a baby)

zzzzz Sat 07-Sep-13 15:03:25

Lip kisses are only for Dh, everyone else gets cheek kisses.

I would freak out if any of my sisters kissed me on the lips eeeeeeeew! grin

StickEmUp Sat 07-Sep-13 15:04:16

Normal here. I even sometimes hold my DB's hand while out and about, at a glance one might assume he was my bf or something.

SkinnybitchWannabe Sat 07-Sep-13 15:04:33

Normal for me and my family as well.
Seems weird not tok

SkinnybitchWannabe Sat 07-Sep-13 15:04:46

too

digerd Sat 07-Sep-13 15:05:00

Never. I liked the shaking of hands in Germany. Kissing on the lips for DH and chubby cheeks of babies only.

nickelbabe Sat 07-Sep-13 15:05:30

of course it's not weird!

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 07-Sep-13 15:05:42

Normal here.

GreetingsFrontBottom Sat 07-Sep-13 15:07:41

A girl in my office had worked in our Morocco office. Apparently, everyone kisses everyone, all the time. "Good morning" <kissy> <kissy>. I don't think I could cope with this. I asked her if her boss kissed her. She said, "of course! Every morning."

Just.. yuk.

cardibach Sat 07-Sep-13 15:08:35

I would only kiss a partner on the lips (if I had one). Lip kissing always seems a bit sexual to me - probably my hang-up. I wouldn't judge anyone else, I don't think, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it except to their partner. It's a thing I discovered after joining MN, like washing towels after every shower.

MrsDeVere Sat 07-Sep-13 15:10:22

Not weird at all.

Not only do you kiss them on the lips you grab hold of their face and give it a jolly good squish while you do it grin

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 07-Sep-13 15:11:24

Kissing on the cheeks for everyone who isn't DH. Ok I also kiss the top of DS's head, his little button nose etc, but not his lips, it would just feel weird.

PollyPlummer Sat 07-Sep-13 15:12:44

Nah, it's only weird if you use toungues.

PollyPlummer Sat 07-Sep-13 15:13:48

I kiss my family and friends on the lips. Always do a mwaaaaah noise though.

I am kissy, my family are too. Think between siblings we probably don't, but my parents and grandparents to me, me to DH/ DS (4) are all lips or pretty close. DH won't kiss DS on lips since he was about 3.5 which I thought was a bit sad but they are very cuddly and kissy and nuzzly so it's not about not being tactile. I wouldn't kiss ILs anywhere but cheeks/cheek-to-cheek, but I don't interfere in where/how DS kisses them.

Far better to be tactile and learn to tone it down for other people's comfort than have to learn how to be demonstrative to prove something to a more tactile person (oh the many buttoned-up boyfriends I had...!)

nemno Sat 07-Sep-13 15:14:45

Not normal. I think lips are only for romantic-type kissing.

2old2beamum Sat 07-Sep-13 15:15:47

With my stepsisters if they kissed me on the lips I would watch out for the dagger in my back gringrin but I am being honest. They hate me!!
With DC's perhaps no, DH if he is lucky grin but we are VERY old

Pachacuti Sat 07-Sep-13 15:18:10

I kiss my mother on the lips sometimes, not my siblings -- but I wouldn't find it odd if other people did. I draw the line at inlaws, though, I think grin.

My DDs have a habit of sticking their tongues out and licking each other while kissing. They think it's hilarious (they are 5 and 2) but I hope they grow out of it. If not then give me your friend's details and I can ensure that she will find your and your sister's kiss far less disturbing...

quesadilla Sat 07-Sep-13 15:20:24

we didn't do it in my (very English) family and I wouldn't do it with anyone except DH and DD, but I know plenty of people who do and I wouldn't think its weird or be grossed out by it at all...

livinginwonderland Sat 07-Sep-13 15:20:27

I kiss my younger relatives (baby/toddler cousins) on the lips and I would kiss my kids on the lips, but not adult family (except DP).

LookingForwardToSalmon Sat 07-Sep-13 15:21:15

Hmmm not sure if I find it odd or not.

I hug and kiss my family on the cheeks, dd (baby) and dp only on the lips.

Saying that if anyone else tries to come in for a hug/ kiss ( I'm looking at you drunken FIL [HMM] ) THEN IT SERIOUSLY CREEPS ME OUT.

Saying it's incest in your case though is a bit ott.

AlfalfaMum Sat 07-Sep-13 15:21:34

Normal for close family members, my mum and my dc kiss me on the lips. I can't think now whether I kiss my Dsis on the lips, but don't think either of us would think it alarming or untoward grin

LookingForwardToSalmon Sat 07-Sep-13 15:21:49

Obviously should be hmm

yellowballoons Sat 07-Sep-13 15:23:07

I think it is weird. Not seen anyone do this. Perhaps it is a new thing that the young do?

Do you regularly sleep in the same bed as them as well?

Morgause Sat 07-Sep-13 15:23:50

Weird. We're a kissy family but not on the lips.

crazyhamsterbackatlast Sat 07-Sep-13 15:26:29

I find it odd , my Dp & his family are like this even with his 20yr old Dd
But my family can be classed as weird to coz we barely even hug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now