Is 11 too young to let themselves in house and stay alone for a short while?

(29 Posts)
Lampshadeofdoom Sat 07-Sep-13 11:11:46

And if so what age did your dc do it?

My DS has done it since just before his tenth birthday.

As he has got older I have extended the time I am happy to leave him for. He goes to school on his own and sometimes is the last to leave the house as DP and I have to leave before him sometimes.

He theoretically could get home from school before me, and always comes home on his own, but with after school clubs and going to the park or to his mates houses he is not often home before 6pm, and I get home before that. In winter he tends to just come home more though.

I tihnk by ten most children should be independent enough to do this.

My DS cycles to and from school, and he once got a puncture on his way home and just went to the local bike repair shop, asked them if they could fix it and that he would bring the money in tomorrow. They were lovely in there and fixed it for him and he called me to let me know what was going on while they were fixing it.

I am happy he can cope with most minor issues like that, he knows where I am too, I work really close to home and he sometimes comes and hangs out with me at work after school.

DP and I are also happy to leave him at home alone once he is in bed. We don't go out all night or get drunk, but sometimes pop to the pub fr a quick drink or occasionally for a meal. It is lovely.

MrsTedMosby Sat 07-Sep-13 13:03:41

It depends on the child. Ds1 was fine from 10. Ds3 & 4 are 9 and I would probably leave them to pop to the shop for example. Ds2 though is 11 and has ASD and no sense of danger so I doubt I will be able to leave him on his own for a good while yet.

FeetUpUntilChristmas Sat 07-Sep-13 13:32:49

DD1 is now 16 and has been letting herself in since the summer term of Y6, I usually get in 1-2 hours later than her. DD2 joined her at the same age, they are now allowed to cook or do whatever they want, this trust was built up over the years, in fact it was me that nearly burnt the house down when I left a tea towel close to the gas hob and walked out the room, fortunately DD2 was downstairs and dealt with it.

They are both girls and quite mature and sensible, when I am at work I am only a 15 min drive away, my sister if at home is nearer.

They have never been bored when I have not been there, they either did homework or watched TV when they were younger, now they are teenagers I don't ask, but they are happy.

I have always left them during the day too especially in school holidays, although not all day everyday as this would be boring.

Catsize Sat 07-Sep-13 13:34:42

From this age, I looked after my younger brothers whilst Mum worked in school hols etc. Didn't like it much, but we survived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now