Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the only time I see a black face on mumsnet should not be to promote a (worthwhile) but negative issue

(12 Posts)
buize Sat 07-Sep-13 09:55:12

FGM is definitely something we should be talking about, but why can't I see a non white person advertising soap powder or holidays or anything else really. MNHQ are you listening?

WayHarshTai Sat 07-Sep-13 10:01:56

Are you on a PC? Go up to the top of the page and hover over the topic titles. See especially 'Child' and 'Education'.

There are many more non white models used if you go into the other topics.

I dont' know what you're on about, really.

buize Sat 07-Sep-13 10:05:15

No not on a pc but will have a look.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 07-Sep-13 10:07:25

buize MNHQ can only accept the adverts that there are. Your gripe should be with the corporates and the ad agencies.

BrokenSunglasses Sat 07-Sep-13 10:10:47

I don't know what you are on about either.

buize Sat 07-Sep-13 10:13:38

So that's two images. What 'I'm on about' is that I would like to see positive representations of all sections of the community mumsnet represents. There is enough negativity in other media as it is.

KellyHopter Sat 07-Sep-13 10:22:27

Mumsnet don't make the ads.

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 07-Sep-13 10:30:44

hmm
Dear MN,
Please ensure that you are PC in all areas at all times.
I want to see every race, colour, creed, disability, size, gender orientation, job, class, family situation ( I could go on) covered equally AT ALL times.
Thank you

Relaxedandhappyperson Sat 07-Sep-13 10:38:22

But 86% of the England/Wales population is white.
www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/rpt-ethnicity.html

Only 3.3% is black.
www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/rpt-ethnicity.html#tab-Ethnicity-in-England-and-Wales

Across the UK the percentages are probably even lower given the relatively lower rates of non-white people in Scotland and NI.

Why shouldn't MN represent the national population? London is another world, but it's a national site.

cuckinfunt Sat 07-Sep-13 11:07:32

Get a grip

SoupDragon Sat 07-Sep-13 11:09:09

Why don't you direct your complaint to the people who actually make the adverts? confused

FreudiansSlipper Sat 07-Sep-13 11:15:59

MN have influence I think it is a fair point if it is something that has come to your attention

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now