to think about shopping friend of friend for undeclared income?

(136 Posts)
FatAssPantaloons Fri 06-Sep-13 22:17:55

Is this really snide of me?

Friend of friend has several cash in hand cleaning jobs. Her three DCs are at school so she takes on as much work as she can while they're there. No idea how much she makes in a week but know she charges clients 10 pounds an hour. She works very hard - is one of these people who never seems to pause, is always buzzing wth nervous energy, working or looking for work.

Recently found out that she also claims tax credits as though she were a SAHM. All of her cleaning work is under the table - no tax paid but also claiming benefits as though she wasn't working.

Her husband has a full time low paid job, and they rent a small house in a wealthy area, in a rural place so they each need to run a car, so I can totally see why they need every penny they can get. But, she's defrauding, isn't she?

It's none of my business, right? Or is it?

thecook Sun 08-Sep-13 00:31:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

thecook Sun 08-Sep-13 00:33:17

I loved my lawyer though. Charged lots of £££££ which the tax payer is paying for. Love legal aid

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Sun 08-Sep-13 00:42:12

Legal Aid is no longer available for people on low incomes thecook which makes the act of reporting even more reprehensible imo.

So people go to prison and children end up in care with ALL the associated costs and dubious outcomes for care and prison-leavers and the reporters genuinely think they are saving taxpayers money for something which may have been twenty pounds a week more than tax credits would have given.

Compared to the thousands per week it takes to keep someone in jail or care.

All righty hmm

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Sun 08-Sep-13 00:43:16

Humphy face directed at pp not you obvs.

RoxyFox211 Sun 08-Sep-13 00:57:52

Yabu.

SubliminalMassaging Sun 08-Sep-13 07:34:50

you sound charming thecook. hmm

passmetheprozac Sun 08-Sep-13 08:01:52

See this would piss me off. I earn just over minimum wage, and I pay my tax and national insurance every month.

She is working, earning and not paying tax. Where is that fair? To echo what an earlier poster said. If everyone paid what they should do in tax then everyone's tax bill would be reduced.

dirtyface Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:42

agree with moanalot

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 08-Sep-13 10:27:46

I wouldn't simply because you don't know if it is true.

As MrsD has pointed out, malicious reporting a can be very distressing and damaging to the person reported.

I can see why the idea of it annoys you OP and don't think anybody is entitled to steal to benefit themselves. However without cast iron facts it's just gossip and could be awful for this woman and her family. If she's going to start declaring anyway, just let her do that.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 08-Sep-13 10:29:53

thecook

1) you sound very unpleasant
2) you clearly don't understand how legal aid actually works.

SilverStreak7 Mon 09-Sep-13 14:17:57

Its none of your business ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now