To moan about licky fingered sales assistant?

(88 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 06-Sep-13 22:07:13

Ok....I have some issues around cleanliness which border on OCD but I don't believe I have full on OCD as I beleive that to be very debilitating.

ANyway....went to Sainsbos today...assistant A saw me standing waiting to pay...there was a lot of stuff on her till area due to a mix up and another shop assistant B was sorting it. While we waited, assistant A in preparation for serving me, licked her fingers repeatedly and absent mindedly....she was probably thinking about grabbing me a plastic bag.

Which I didn't need. I have a rucksack.

Anyway...I was inwardly cringing at her licky display then it was time to pay...I approached fast...hoping to stall her licking with "It's ok...I have my own bag!" but too late!

She slurped, grabbed and offered the bag...."Would you like a bag?"

I said, "No thank you, I have one." And she fucking LICKED HER FINGERS AGAIN FOR GOOD MEASURE ANYWAY!

then she picked up my milk carton by the neck and began putting things through with her saliva covered digits.

AIBU to send a polite note to Sainsbury's Head Office naming no names but asking them to please tell their cashiers not to slobber on their hands whilst serving?

januaryjojo Sat 07-Sep-13 18:35:26

laymizz

Any decent chef would NOT put a spoon in their mouth and back into anything they are cooking, never!!

Apart from the germ issue, H&S issue, putting saliva into a food starts it to digest and dissolve.
Which is also why you shouldn't do it at home.

And is quite frankly a disgusting thing to do.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 07-Sep-13 19:08:50

Jan that's right....DH has worked in kitchens as a younger man and says no chef he's seen has ever done that! As for those people saying "Oh there's more germs than THAT on things...you just don't see them"

That really is not the point! I KNOW things are not spotless.....but I still don't want fresh spit on my bags! An employee of a large company should be taught not to do it. It's disgusting. I bet all those who say I have issues are finger lickers....actually it's finger lickers who have issues...and no manners.

TedMoseby Sat 07-Sep-13 20:32:45

Waitrose have a rule on this wink

A bugbear from the other side of the counter though. I always offer to keep raw meat separate from all other food and 9/10 get "no, it's ok. It won't be together in the bag for very long". That's all well and good but bacteria only needs a moment to transfer onto your freshly baked bread and lettuce. Makes me do an internal boak everytime, and I wouldn't consider myself fussy hygiene wise. I just dont want to eat raw meat bacteria.

Jengnr Sat 07-Sep-13 20:38:09

Yes they do Neo. I went to see Michael Caines at a food festival recently and he did exactly that.

Two Michelin Stars can't be wrong.

YABVVU re the carrier bags too.

phantomnamechanger Sat 07-Sep-13 20:40:05

Tesco checkout lady licked her fingers several times yesterday to open my bags, did make me shudder a little - she then proceeded to say "I'll start a new bag for your meat" and was merrily intent on packing raw and cooked meat together, till I grabbed the sandwich meats away from her !

buss Sat 07-Sep-13 23:49:27

Was at waitrose tonight and they use the sponge thing that bank cashiers use.
Aldi don't handle bags at all except to put them through the scanner so not a problem in there.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 08-Sep-13 08:03:10

Jengnr Except I'm not! So many on here agree with me....and also shops too! As I said before, I reckon it's the lickers who say I am BU!

LayMizzRarb Sun 08-Sep-13 09:27:41

Jengnr, I have worked on the production of many food related programmes for TV and have seen it many many times, with top celebrity chefs.
There are plenty of things they do that would have you crawling up the walls if you wanted to get totally OCD about it. One top chef told me the best way to gauge how steak was cooking was to press down on it in the pan with your fingers . Well done it feels like your forehead, medium is like the end of your nose, rare, like your cheek.
Yes, chefs will wash their hands before cooking, so would have clean hands before touching the steak, but they won't wash them after every single contact with themselves, ie tiny scratch to the head or face. There is not time in a busy kitchen.
The thing that makes me boak though, is seeing people with jewellery making pastry or hand mixing mince etc. the germs that must be in rings, with stone settings..

emmelinelucas Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:57

I wouldnt like it, yuk.
I once had a hissy fit in Morrisons. In the cafe there are laminated numbers on card which you place at your table - then your number is called when the food is ready.
I am in the queue waiting to place an order and the assistant at the checkout picked up a number - and picked her teeth with it.
Boak !

OOAOML Sun 08-Sep-13 11:19:12

All these people saying Tesco have a policy that their staff don't do this - I see this a lot in Tesco. There are specific checkout people that I avoid because of it.

OOAOML Sun 08-Sep-13 11:22:48

Actually thinking about it I find it really weird that people who handle money would put their fingers in their mouths - money is filthy, especially coins. In the days before the coinsort machines I used to take bags of change to the bank and I always found my hands got filthy counting it out.

Dubjackeen Sun 08-Sep-13 13:32:56

I was approaching a check out one day, when the person at the till sneezed into her hands. I took the easy way out, and pretended to have forgotten something, and went to a different check out.

Fluffyears Sun 08-Sep-13 14:12:11

You do know that the food is delivered into a yard/storeroom in pallets and that in these areas there are usually some sort of vermin. After working for one major supermarket I wash all jars and drink cans/bottles as they tend to come into contact with rat wee somewhere. The delivery yards/trucks are filthy as I found checking off a delivery and being covered in muck.

ZeroTolerance Sun 08-Sep-13 14:26:29

Yuk. I don't think I've ever seen that but it would repulse me too. People sneezing into their hands then serving you brings me out in a cold sweat till I can get my hands on some Milton!

Another thing, in principle I don't like fruit being pre-packaged but then I watch people finger and maul every apple in the display before selecting one and I'm thinking pre-packaged has its advantages. I wonder when you eat a plum how many people's filthy fingers have poked and prodded it first..,

Fluffyears Sun 08-Sep-13 14:38:16

I was in loos once washing my hands and an old lady walked out of cubicle adjusted her dress and walked out not washing hands and first thought in my head was 'on his she's headed to the loose fruit and veg! Boak'

wokeupwithasmile Sun 08-Sep-13 15:51:58

Oh yes! So because there are germs all around us I might as well shut up and get more! Why don't I start pissing around in Sainsb, then? After all god knows what other people bring in anyway! We should be trying to contain germs, not spread them around even more, people!! Well done OP for writing them.
End of rant.

miffybun73 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:41:29

YANBU, that would make me feel a bit sick too.

Well, this thread has been an eye-opener for me! I do touch my middle finger to my tongue as part of my reaching-for-a-bag movement. I will try not to do that in future, as it seems to gross so many people out. <contrite>

But I would like to point out that I neither 'slurp' nor 'slobber' over my fingers! OP, are you sure that this assistant's behaviour could truly be described thus?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 08-Sep-13 19:13:21

Yes. Because she did it so often....it was WAY more than usually might be done.

Bumblequeen Sun 08-Sep-13 20:10:03

Yanbu.

I will never touch a used newspaper left on public transport. The thought of someone's saliva fingers flicking through each page puts me off.

I cannot bear when people lick their fingers whilst eating I.e. when having a packet of crisps.

kiriwawa Sun 08-Sep-13 20:15:58

Hahaha - what the hell do you think happens when you can't see the packets? The bloke in the back has probably been picking his arse before loading the milk cartons onto the shelves. Your milk carton has been handled about 10 times before getting onto the shelf and you think that if you use a self-service till, it's going to be clean.

And you think a little dot of saliva is disgusting grin

SilverStreak7 Sun 08-Sep-13 20:46:43

lololol

FannyMcNally Sun 08-Sep-13 21:08:09

But what do all you fusspots do about trolleys? Do you hose then down before you shop?

And the slobbering lick is just to get purchase on the outside of the bag, that's where 99% of the saliva will be, not on your carton.

And anyone who has never had to lick their fingers to turn a page, you're just extra sweaty than us normals grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 08-Sep-13 23:43:08

Fanny we KNOW that there are germs everywhere...we just don't want to SEE it happening! Plus...that lick on the outside of the bag gets transfered to my fingers...and it's offputting! I don't see the licky fingered, sneezy man with the trolley do I? So it's not such a worry. I do clean my hands after shopping immediately though.

Morloth Mon 09-Sep-13 08:00:38

PuppyMonkey 'I'm surprised you can even cope with drinking milk, considering where it originally came from. wink'

LOL, this.

I can't drink milk since I breastfed for the first time. For some reason it was only then that the thought of the lactate of another species started grossing me out...

A bit of spit on the carton is not nearly as gross as what is in the carton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now