To moan about licky fingered sales assistant?

(88 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 06-Sep-13 22:07:13

Ok....I have some issues around cleanliness which border on OCD but I don't believe I have full on OCD as I beleive that to be very debilitating.

ANyway....went to Sainsbos today...assistant A saw me standing waiting to pay...there was a lot of stuff on her till area due to a mix up and another shop assistant B was sorting it. While we waited, assistant A in preparation for serving me, licked her fingers repeatedly and absent mindedly....she was probably thinking about grabbing me a plastic bag.

Which I didn't need. I have a rucksack.

Anyway...I was inwardly cringing at her licky display then it was time to pay...I approached fast...hoping to stall her licking with "It's ok...I have my own bag!" but too late!

She slurped, grabbed and offered the bag...."Would you like a bag?"

I said, "No thank you, I have one." And she fucking LICKED HER FINGERS AGAIN FOR GOOD MEASURE ANYWAY!

then she picked up my milk carton by the neck and began putting things through with her saliva covered digits.

AIBU to send a polite note to Sainsbury's Head Office naming no names but asking them to please tell their cashiers not to slobber on their hands whilst serving?

buss Sat 07-Sep-13 09:07:06

it does spread germs though-especially in flu season

cashiers in banks have a spongy thing which they use to moisten their hands when they count piles notes

everlong Sat 07-Sep-13 09:07:18

Sorry that's not very explanatory.

I mean unless she was handling food you were going to eat that wasn't wrapped ie cake, sandwich etc then yabu.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 07-Sep-13 09:10:16

Everlong no....if she's got some sort of virus, I handle my purchases with her virusy spit on them...then I might ingest her germs and get her virus. It's simple.

PuppyMonkey Sat 07-Sep-13 09:11:54

I'm surprised you can even cope with drinking milk, considering where it originally came from. wink

everlong Sat 07-Sep-13 09:14:46

It's not simple. You sit next to people on the bus or train, stand next to them in a queue, hold the rail on the escalator, open doors etc etc. All these people may be germy virus ridden.

Germs are everywhere.

And to say she was slobbering is a tad ott.

makemineamalibuandpineapple Sat 07-Sep-13 09:16:58

My mum told a lady off in the supermarket for doing exactly this. I was completely mortified. I just concentrated on packing the bags
whilst hoping the ground would swallow me up

everlong Sat 07-Sep-13 09:19:20

There's been a similar thread about snotty checkout assistants.
Poor sods they can't do anything right.

DownstairsMixUp Sat 07-Sep-13 09:26:43

I work at a "well known" supermarket, we don't have any wet cloths or anything, I am sorry to offend, I sometimes lick without realising when I can't get a bag open and am standing there like a doughnut trying to get it to open whilst a queue full of customers stare at me. blush

cardibach Sat 07-Sep-13 09:27:53

I think it is the language you use that gives away the fact YABU. You use words like 'slurp' and 'slobber' which are very odd and OTT for a little lick. I sort of get what you mean, but as others have pointed out far worse has happened to your food before it gets to the till lady, and your own hands have all manner of germs on them. Most of the time our bodies. defences deal with the germs we meet - that is what they are designed to do.

izzydazzling Sat 07-Sep-13 09:30:03

urgh YANBU. It''s not hygienic for the customer or the cashier.

They could easily do what the post office and banks have - those little round tubs with the wet sponges in. I'd email Sainsbury's with this suggestion.

fuckwittery Sat 07-Sep-13 09:31:48

Oh god I asked a bakery assistant to slice my bread in Asda yesterday. After watching him scratch his bollocks first, I had plenty of time to assess the filthiness of his meant to be white bakery uniform, which certainly didnt look like he'd just got a bit of flour on him that day. I could also see the dirt on his hands, he didn't wear gloves to handle my bread and had no hair net on, long greasy looking hair.
I'm ashamed to say I put the sliced bread back on the shelf. Was in a rush but will email Asdas!

Mumof3xx Sat 07-Sep-13 09:35:25

My friend who worked at tesco was given a warning for biting her nails at the checkout

Kind of similar

So people obv do complain bout things like this

I prob just would of told her

BoozyBear Sat 07-Sep-13 14:40:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2rebecca Sat 07-Sep-13 14:56:26

I don't have sweaty hands and find it hard to openplastic bags unless I lick my fingers. I usually take my own bags to shops but often struggle to open the thin plastic ones to put vegetables in. paper would be easier.

I wouldn't like it but would think she probably does it automatically and didn't think of it.
I work with a younger male teacher and caught myself licking my thumb to wipe off a mark on his face-nothing cleans better than mummy spit

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 07-Sep-13 16:48:21

Blue that happened to my brother when he was about 30 and he liked it! grin

We had a horrified split second where I realised and tried to look like I hadn't just licked my thumb, he tried to look like he hadn't realised what I was about to do and we shuffled some books :-)

Writerwannabe83 Sat 07-Sep-13 16:52:01

I can't stand people who lick their fingers....
Like when they are reading newspapers or separating pieces of paper etc... WHY?

It is absolutely disgusting!

Get some manners because nobody wants to see it and nobody wants to touch something with your saliva on it!

I can't bear it grin

Dawndonnaagain Sat 07-Sep-13 16:52:04

Years ago, Sainsbos had brown paper bags. They were huge, with good paper handles, the size of a small laundry bag. They didn't disintegrate in the rain. I wish they'd bring them back. Reusable and recyclable. Perfect.

BigBrassBand Sat 07-Sep-13 17:02:15

I have never in my life needed to lick my fingers to turn a page, count notes or open a bag! And I've read thousands of books and worked in a bank and a supermarket in my time. I don't think my hands are sweaty, they're always cold.
Can some people not grip paper or thin plastic then?

LayMizzRarb Sat 07-Sep-13 17:16:52

You do realise that if you eat in a naice restaurant (i.e not Frankie and Bennies or Weatherspoons) that the chef will taste the gravy, soup etc that he is preparing for you and add some salt/seasoning then use the same spoon to taste it again?

OHforDUCKScake Sat 07-Sep-13 17:23:58

I dont have OCD or close to it (did as a child, awful thing to have, very distressing) but even I find finger licking totally rank.

As for poo particles everywhere we touch, yuck!

twistedtoffee Sat 07-Sep-13 17:29:07

I don't have OCD and it drives me mad when checkout assistants lick their fingers to open a bag and then start handling my groceries. They should have a small dish of water or damp cloth at the till for this purpose. It looks soooo unhygienic.

complexnumber Sat 07-Sep-13 17:38:59

You have issues.

yabu

12thDoctorsCompanion Sat 07-Sep-13 18:17:53

Im obsessed with hygiene and stuff. i carry a hand cleanser gel in my pocket/handbag. its easier in winter as you can wear gloves when touching things but I obsess about the buttons on traffic lights (i use one knuckle), buttons on lifts (same thing)

shopping trolleys-i wipe handles with wipes before i use them (and I know moneys that exchanged has passed hands but after that im wiping hands too).

Im like Niles in Frasier when i go to a coffee shop or something (wiping seat down) im awful really. and pull sleeve over hand to open door handles. try not to use public loos.

at supermarket ill run fingers over a frozen food to get them wet to open a plastic bag. although i usually take my own bags.

i could go on....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now