Or is this the vilest picture ever

(54 Posts)

and what the fuck do I do with it?

My cleaner just brought us a picture back from her holiday back home in Lithuania. I have put a photo on my profile page, but it doesn't quite capture the full horror in all it's, er, 'vibrancy'.

It's not just the picture itself, it's the little glass bead type things attached to it, adding texture and a bit of a sparkly effect.

She is lovely and I can't hurt her feelings but I cannot fathom what possessed her to think this would go in our house, let's just say it doesn't exactly fit the decor. She is here every week so we have to have it on display somewhere. But oh. my. god. I cannot look at that every day.

If someone comes on here and tells me this is a great piece of Lithuanian artistic heritage I will feel suitably ashamed and that IABU. But I won't change my opinion off the bloody picture. It is hideous.

where do I put it?

Thumbwitch Sat 07-Sep-13 02:44:23

I second putting it in your DD's room, perhaps above the door where you won't see it every time you go in.

Amber isn't as expensive in the Baltics as it is elsewhere, IME (certainly it was cheap as chips in Russia when I went) but it's still not dirt cheap, so she has given you something that she considers of value. If she loves your DD she'll be very happy that you thought of putting it in DD's room smile

GrandstandingBlueTit Sat 07-Sep-13 03:29:56

Oh gosh, bless her. She must really like you to do think of you when on holiday at home, and bring something back like this.

I can appreciate its qualities. But... overall... It's not great, is it? grin

ravenAK Sat 07-Sep-13 03:31:24

The biggest danger is that you WILL start to like it.

I have a massive silk-screened abstract thing a London friend bought me ten years ago - we were pottering round Camden, I flicked through a rack of these, &, I think, said something vague about one of them being a lovely intense purple (& didn't add that it was otherwise bogglingly fugly because shopkeeper was hovering).

Friend said 'oh, you should get it'; & I said something like 'no - I just can't face lugging it home on the train'.

No prizes for guessing what I got several months later as an engagement present. Not even the purple one!

Dh recently pointed out, as we moved various rooms around, that we could quietly hide it, & friend would never notice as the whole room it was in has been re-decorated & changed purpose - & if she did we could claim it had been put away for safekeeping during the decorating.

I found myself defending the ghastly thing. It's bloody gone & grown on me.

So I'd suggest that you pretend to take yours to work 'to brighten up my office, it's so lovely...' before it takes root!

BakeOLiteGirl Sat 07-Sep-13 06:01:57

Put it in your DD's room and say the Baltic amber in the picture is helping with her teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now