Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to tell my boss I'm happy to work until 38 + 2?

(32 Posts)
wonderingifiam2013 Fri 06-Sep-13 14:04:11

Even though I can't guarantee I'll be ok/not given birth by then?

I worked up to 37 weeks last time and I was working full-time with a 80+ mile round commute.

This time, I'm part-time and most likely having an ELCS.

From what I gather most finish for maternity leave between 36 & 38 weeks so I'm guessing I'm not being unreasonable?

Talkinpeace Fri 06-Sep-13 19:33:09

I worked till 38 weeks with DC1 - and then went back in to help with some stuff at 39+3
I knew baby would be late (maternal family history)
with DC2 I did not even pack a bag till 41 weeks and was designated driver (so DH could drink) at a distant family do 11 days overdue

you know your family history and your body

McNewPants2013 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:43:19

Mortifiedadam that is a good suggestion.

I worked till 37 weeks until I was adviced to give up. Dd 34 weeks as I used my Al, so my ML started 4 days after dd was born.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:43:37

You can work up to your due date.

Personally I would rather have a couple of weeks off before the DD to relax, as it wouldn't affect the time off I'd have afterwards - I would still go back at the same time because of being a teacher and term dates.

Thatballwasin Fri 06-Sep-13 19:53:34

I didn't have your commute but I worked until 38+4 both times. If everything is going ok I think you should be fine

TheToysAreALIVEITellThee Fri 06-Sep-13 19:56:55

Justmy

Was that recently?

SaltySeaBird Fri 06-Sep-13 20:00:56

I was asked to work to the end of the week before my DD (which was on a Sunday, so asked to work to 39+5).

I worked to 38+5 and was induced early due to complications on the Monday (having finished work on the Friday).

Wouldn't be keen to go that long again.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 06-Sep-13 20:07:19

You can just carry over your annual leave I think - that's what I did, because you accrue it anyway, and bank hold. They tacked it onto the end of my ML. It was quite a bonus going back up to full pay for the last 2 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now