to think that a hca shouldnt tell me all assylum seekers should go home?

(67 Posts)

In hospital. Hca brought me tea then proceeded to pick uup my newspaper and flick.through it. She said she wanted to see what it said about assylum seekers. Then said yes yes thats what I think they should all be sent home. The lot of them.

I just ignored her. I feel like shit and don't have the energy for an argument. I feel guilty now I didn't say anything.

Misspixietrix Sat 07-Sep-13 15:44:20

Last time not next Sorry (was told she looked too Well to do anything for her despite her heartrate sky high and her chest working ten to a dozen) ~

Misspixietrix Sat 07-Sep-13 15:42:30

Dds been happily wheezing away but theres no point taking her down because will get told the same as next time. OP you havent heard it from me but GP always told me that they believe (I appreciate all practice differently but still think Its worth mentioning) that giving steroids without abs for an asthma exacerbation can make things worse. I only know this because GP went batshit at an OOH once for sending Dd home with just this and she ended up back down the Doctors worse sad hAve you had visitors OP? Keep your spirits up smile flowers

EduCated Sat 07-Sep-13 10:44:46

(Also get bloody better giraffes! Sending healthy chest vibes in your general direction thanks

EduCated Sat 07-Sep-13 10:43:55

So if the person in the bed next to Giraffes was an asylum seeker, would that be ok for the HCA to say it? Or if Giraffes had an asylum seeker DP?

Aside from the fact that we don't have freedom of speech, it does not give you the right to say potentially offensive things unsolicited when you are representing the NHS and caring for sick and vulnerable people.

SPBisResisting Sat 07-Sep-13 10:42:47

thinking about you x

Yeah been on steroids since wed. And atrovent, salbutamol and saline nebs. And singulair and potassium and flixotide and seretide and magnesium one drip.

Waiting to see dr this morning.

ChestyNut Sat 07-Sep-13 09:22:23

HCAs are not "bottom" of the heap and do a very valuable job and don't get paid minimum wage in hospitals.

Stop making excuses for why this persons behaviour was acceptable. It wasn't.

limited PALS is patient advice liaison service.
HCA is healthcare assistant and in hospital the work on the wards assisting the qualified staff but often do majority of the hard slog as qualified nurses are so tied up with paperwork and discharges.

SPBisResisting Sat 07-Sep-13 06:55:58

How are you feeling giraffes

Misspixietrix Sat 07-Sep-13 06:41:29

Aww hope you get to come home soon flowers glad your starting to feel better. Have they started you on Steroids?

Ty pixie still in, struggling this eve but overall been better today.

ilovesooty Fri 06-Sep-13 22:34:38

How is PALS "confusing jargon"?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 06-Sep-13 21:14:55

What is it with this bottom of the heap stuff?

limitedperiodonly Fri 06-Sep-13 21:06:57

Asylum seekers...they are bottom of the heap. No money, no jobs, no recourse to public funds and even when people make offensive comments about them its ok.

I understand what asylum means and I'm disappointed that you don't seem to get that, because in previous posts on many threads I've expressed that.

Also I've expressed my disgust at the way benefit claimants of all kinds are vilified.

Maybe you haven't noticed. But why should you hang on my every post?

However from now on please be assured that I do understand quite deeply and I'd like you to note that from now on.

However, I maintain that people who feel they are at the bottom of the heap lash out, usually at the wrong targets.

I find that really frustrating.

But is it so hard to understand?

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:47:54

Who is at the bottom of the heap and why do you assume they are the ones fighting amongst themselves?

Nigel Farage is a well known Xenaphobe and Nick Griffin is a big fat racist.
Both are doing pretty well for themselves.

I don't like the assumption that people who object to racist/xenophobic twats are somehow removed from the real world.

I live in an area with loads of immigration, lots of asylum seekers as well as established communities. I don't hate immigrants or want asylum seekers sent home.

hettienne Fri 06-Sep-13 20:31:30

She can hold any opinion she wants.

She just can't impose it on vulnerable patients while she is at work.

If you want to rant about asylum seekers, do it in your own time.

limitedperiodonly Fri 06-Sep-13 20:31:27

I tell you what would be nice. It would be if people said what an HCA was, rather than assuming that those of us who don't work in the industry knew what it was.

I get similarly frustrated when people talk about PALS and other confusing jargon.

You could also talk about what the banding was so I understood what this woman earned.

I really don't want to defend racists but I do understand why people at the bottom of the heap fight amongst themselves rather than banding together.

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:20:54

No, sorry, its still offensive to refer to someone in this way.

She has a job
She is a trained professional.
She may not be on high wages but she probably isn't on NMW.

She isn't bottom of the heap.

Asylum seekers...they are bottom of the heap. No money, no jobs, no recourse to public funds and even when people make offensive comments about them its ok.

Misspixietrix Fri 06-Sep-13 20:20:26

Anyway OP how are you this evening? Have you planned your escape yet? wink

ilovesooty Fri 06-Sep-13 20:18:11

To be honest if someone expressed that view to me while they were in a work setting I'd report them in a heartbeat (health permitting of course).

I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to do her job who either don't hold xenophobic views or at least have the decency to keep them to themselves at work.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 06-Sep-13 20:15:44

Bottom of the heap? Wtf? HCAs do a valued job. Certainly do on the ward I work on anyway.

limitedperiodonly Fri 06-Sep-13 20:10:07

mrsdevere I assume your reference to 'bottom of the heap' refers to me. Apologies if it doesn't.

You might have seen my previous posts on this thread.

I don't think anyone is right to be racist or xenophobic. I mentioned my confusion and disgust at a Greek Cypriot immigrant railing against immigrants from other countries.

But I also resent people at the top of the heap, of whatever colour or creed, shitting on the economically-disadvantaged. I'm increasingly counting myself amongst them.

That's what's happening today and is spreading hatred between people who are indeed the bottom of the heap wherever they come from.

Misspixietrix Fri 06-Sep-13 19:53:04

Was a bit confused then MrsDeVere. Glad in RTFT qgain! grin

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 19:45:10

Bottom of the heap?
Fucking hell. How insulting. The woman is a HCA not a mudlark in 1840.

She is in an important position. She does a valuable job.

These posters who think they are sticking up for her are really just displaying their own prejudices.

limitedperiodonly Fri 06-Sep-13 19:44:18

I have a joke that if I have to use the mimsy word 'unprofessional' I should get aggravated damages, because it embarrasses me.

I used it on Wednesday morning. It was true, but it made me wince.

The person I complained about was earning a great deal more than I guess the woman in the OP was.

Interestingly, he was also an migrant; English to the US, complaining about how England wasn't England any more.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, except that people at the bottom of the pile sometimes lash out at the wrong targets and always fruitlessly, and sometimes I don't blame them.

Misspixietrix Fri 06-Sep-13 19:42:52

Rosh I didnt say it was. Thats just one example. Im allowed to form my own opinion. After all im not spouting mine whilst in NHS Uniform like the OPs HCA person Is. If youve dealt with HC Professionals as much as I have you would understand where Im coming from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now