to be astonished that secondary kids can't do up a tie

(147 Posts)
SEmyarse Thu 05-Sep-13 21:05:23

Dd1 started secondary today. She has a muscle condition which means that her fingers (amongst other things) are very weak, and she also has very poor co-ordination.

She manages her condition so well in almost every way, and really hates attention being brought to it, so has been practicing doing a tie all summer. She would be mortified to have to ask a teacher to help at this age.

So imagine her surprise when having had PE today, at least 10 kids couldn't get their ties back on, and had to form a queue to get the teacher to help.

Now I get that they've not worn them before, and no-one learns anything instantly but a) why have the parents not taught them? b) why are the kids not concerned themselves that they'll be seen as babies? Someone must have put them on this morning, so they must have been aware they couldn't do them. This doesn't seem like the sort of stuff secondary teachers should have to do.

quesadilla Thu 05-Sep-13 23:47:33

I never mastered ties...
To be honest for girls I don't see why they should, really. An adult woman never has to wear a tie even in very buttoned-down professional environments. I can understand why girls and boys both have to wear them for consistency but it is slightly balmy in a way, if you're never going to wear one again after the age of 18...

<snort> at lazy parent...must remember that for future reference.

cantspel Fri 06-Sep-13 00:04:14

My sons school has just gone over to clip on ties under the banner of heathy and safety but i think it is more to stop them tieing large knots with short ends. Older boys who already have proper ties can continue to wear them but you cant buy them any more. i think my son is planning to make a fortune selling his at the end of year 11 as no one wants to wear clip ons.

squoosh Fri 06-Sep-13 00:08:32

It takes about 5 mins to learn to tie a tie. So yes, seems lazy to me. I'd be amazed to meet a grown man who couldn't perform such a simple task.

Bow ties on the other hand............

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 00:12:06

Yes it takes 5 minutes but why would someone think "oh I must learn to tie a tie today/must teach my ds to tie a tie today" if there was no reason for them to wear a tie?

Also, as petty as it may sound, why would someone buy a tie to learn how to tie it if they didn't need it?

squoosh Fri 06-Sep-13 00:21:01

If they knew they would be starting a school where a tie was part of the uniform, if they were a man going to work in a formal office environment, if they ever intended to attend a wedding/funeral/interview.............

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 00:24:00

Yeah, if they were ever in that position absolutely!

But a man may never be in a position to wear a tie. My partner wore his first tie this summer, he's 25.

squoosh Fri 06-Sep-13 00:30:11

I'm really, really surprised that a man would make it to age 25 before having occasion to wear a tie.

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 00:35:36

Wasent part of his school uniform.
He's a chef so every interview he has attended hasent been a formal interview, but a trial in the kitchen.
And this summer was the first wedding he had been to since he was a toddler.
He's never had any other formal occasions where a tie has been required.

I don't think its that shocking really, I'm sure there's plenty of guys around his age who haven't ever worn a tie.

cantspel Fri 06-Sep-13 00:39:32

I like a man in a shirt and tie. I find something very sexy about a fresh pressed white shirt with a skinney tie, black trousers with a crease and shiney shoes.

I get fed up on men looking like rejects from sports direct.

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 00:41:53

cantspel that sports direct look is horrible isn't it! The town next to mine is full of it, I swear 90% of the men that live there have never set foot in any other clothes store!

cantspel Fri 06-Sep-13 00:48:57

umbro trackies and t shirts with giant ticks on them and men who dont even own a proper pair of shoes. I cant see what any grown woman would see in them as they dress like 10 year olds off to play in the park.

usualsuspect Fri 06-Sep-13 00:49:50

Ties are ridiculous if you think about it

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 00:51:15

Not attractive IMO! But then from what I've seen those types of dressers don't tend to get many women!

usualsuspect Fri 06-Sep-13 00:51:22

Children wearing ties is even more ridiculous.

They serve no.purpose at all.

usualsuspect Fri 06-Sep-13 00:52:58

Children wearing ties is even more ridiculous.

They serve no.purpose at all.

squoosh Fri 06-Sep-13 00:54:12
usualsuspect Fri 06-Sep-13 00:59:40

The tie didn't really do.it for me.

cantspel Fri 06-Sep-13 01:00:19

I will have the men in ties then and you can have

thereback.blogspot.co.uk/2005/12/tailored-trackies-story-of-my-return.html

him

usualsuspect Fri 06-Sep-13 01:04:30
squoosh Fri 06-Sep-13 01:06:17

The guy with the crash helmet? Bit of a gamble is it not? Phil Mitchell might be lurking beneath.

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 01:11:43

Can't be bothered to find a pic but give me a guy in nice jeans, nice polo shirt and smart trainers, canvas style ones. Little bit of stubble and messy bed hair. Yum!

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 06-Sep-13 01:13:33

My ds has just left secondary and learnt to tie his tie in about 10 minutes.
I agree they're useless things, but are needed for funerals, weddings and interviews.
It really isn't hard,

cantspel Fri 06-Sep-13 01:17:21

chinos, fred perry pair of vans but clean shaven and nice clean looking hair

Lj8893 Fri 06-Sep-13 01:20:33

Oh yes when I say messy bed head hair, I mean that kind of look that looks like its messy but its actually taken a while to get right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now