to be astonished that secondary kids can't do up a tie

(147 Posts)
SEmyarse Thu 05-Sep-13 21:05:23

Dd1 started secondary today. She has a muscle condition which means that her fingers (amongst other things) are very weak, and she also has very poor co-ordination.

She manages her condition so well in almost every way, and really hates attention being brought to it, so has been practicing doing a tie all summer. She would be mortified to have to ask a teacher to help at this age.

So imagine her surprise when having had PE today, at least 10 kids couldn't get their ties back on, and had to form a queue to get the teacher to help.

Now I get that they've not worn them before, and no-one learns anything instantly but a) why have the parents not taught them? b) why are the kids not concerned themselves that they'll be seen as babies? Someone must have put them on this morning, so they must have been aware they couldn't do them. This doesn't seem like the sort of stuff secondary teachers should have to do.

LegoDragon Thu 05-Sep-13 22:04:18

No one I know can tie a tie. They seem quite outdated and unnecessary, but if you have it as a uniform, you learn fast usually, YANBU to think chikdren going to a school where a tie is used should know what to do.

seriouslypeeved Thu 05-Sep-13 22:04:59

DD started seniors today and has to wear a tie. My dad had to teach her as I don't have a clue. DD practiced over the summer and is now fine

Ericaequites Thu 05-Sep-13 22:06:12

I know many grown men in university who don't do up their own ties. They leave it tied and loosened on the dresser.

Trills Thu 05-Sep-13 22:06:41

YANBU to be surprised that they haven't been practising in preparation for going to "big school"

froken Thu 05-Sep-13 22:07:33

I don't know how to do up a tie and my secondary school days are far behind me.

Why on earth do children need to wear a tie to school?? What an unnecessary faff.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Thu 05-Sep-13 22:07:50

I can't tie a tie. No idea.

PigletJohn Thu 05-Sep-13 22:14:04

nobody is born knowing how, but any man over the age of 10 should be able to. Best if he can do a bow tie by age 17 as well.

A bit of practice is all you need. The younger you learn the better.

Some young joiner at work asked me to tie his once shock

I refused but stood next to him at a mirror so he could copy me.

Ds can't do his tie, he loosens it at night and leaves it done up whenever possible. Dh tends to be the one to sort it out for him or dd in a pinch.

mrsslc Thu 05-Sep-13 22:40:06

A basic tie isn't difficult though?! Twirl it round and poke it through and voila! :-)

funkybuddah Thu 05-Sep-13 22:42:51

I can't tie a tie and I wore one for a year at school.

Fine not knowing how to at any age.

Not preparing your children to be able to when you're sending them to the school, not fine. Lazy parenting.

pointythings Thu 05-Sep-13 22:45:31

I can't tie a tie. My DD1 wears a clip on tie - and if that ever changed, I'd ask DH to tie it for her and then leave it permanently looped, because ties are a stupid antiquated waste of time.

They should be abolished permanently, everywhere.

SummerHoliDidi Thu 05-Sep-13 22:46:19

We gave out the new school ties to our year 7s this morning (first day of their new school) and I demonstrated to my form how to tie it, then "helped" 9 of them and tied 10 myself because those pupils just couldn't manage it. I have told them not to untie it completely and just make the loop bigger so they can take it off then tighten it again when they put it on in the morning, OR practise really hard tonight because I don't want to be tying ties again tomorrow.

utreas Thu 05-Sep-13 22:50:41

YANBU all people should be able to dress themselves properly.

Mrsdoasyouwouldbedoneby Thu 05-Sep-13 22:51:04

DS used to have a tie at old school (we left it tied... It was bad enough that his shoes had laces I forced him to have but a yr of practicing and he still couldn't do them, so we have now got Velcro again). So now he can have an elastic tie... And he now asks me for a normal one?!?! He prefers the tie your own tie it seems...

ReallyTired Thu 05-Sep-13 22:55:47

My son learnt how to do his tie last Monday. He practiced for two hours to get the hang of it.

I agree that school ties are a stupid idea, but it is poor parenting not to teach a year 7 (without special needs) who to do a tie.

PigletJohn Thu 05-Sep-13 22:57:42

I wonder if this is it?

I can do it with my eyes closed but not in a mirror, or watching this video. It confuses me.

I don't agree with their tip about the centre seam, it depends how thick your neck is, and how long your chest.

dopeysheep Thu 05-Sep-13 23:02:37

Ties are ridiculous. I can do one though they are really very simple and I am not very dextrous.
And agree totally with Lady Bigtoes about the health and safety aspect at school, completely mad item of clothing.

NuggetofPurestGreen Thu 05-Sep-13 23:06:03

I can't do anything and I can tie a tie. Had them
at primary school and remember being surprised in secondary school that loads of people couldn't do them and just loosened and put them over their heads.

But I can see why people who've never had to wear one can't do it.

Dobbiesmum Thu 05-Sep-13 23:12:42

DS can but he struggles and it's nothing to do with lazy or poor parenting thank you very much, don't be so bloody smug!
He struggled with his shoe laces for a long time as well but not lack of teaching or trying, some things just defeat him for a while but he gets there in the end (no SN ).
I have tied my own tie approximately 5 times. Once for every year of high school. I would tie it the first time and then loosen it and pull it over my head every day for as much of the year as I could get away with...

EduCated Thu 05-Sep-13 23:18:41

The older I get the more bizarre I find it that I had to wear a tie aged 4-12. I mean, tiny boys and girls in ties? Why?! WHYYYY?!

NoComet Thu 05-Sep-13 23:22:41

Both DDs can tie ties, although they slip then on and off for weeks before bothering.

Anyway DCs only need one skill, how to tie a big enough, but tidy knot, that you never have to do up your top button. Not even for our grumpy music master, who was obsessed with ties and lurked after assembly to tell us off.

BackforGood Thu 05-Sep-13 23:29:16

I agree with OP's point though, that if your dc are off to secondary, and you want them to fit in and just be one of the crowd, then you do everything you can to help that happen, which, if they are going to a school that has a tie as part of it's uniform, means teaching them (and getting them to practice) tying a tie.

AnneUulmelmahay Thu 05-Sep-13 23:30:02

Ooh ooh lazy parent here

We spent the summer rambling through the local countryside, learned some cloud formation names, cultivated Grandmama's garden, went fossilling and body boarding, identified ancient earthworks from high points in the landscape, refined diabolo skills. Etc etc bla de blah

Tie-tying? Night before secondary began, in fact older kid taught the younger one the how-to

Totes lazy, moi

Lj8893 Thu 05-Sep-13 23:39:26

Piglet why should any man over 10 know how to tie a tie?

If they have never had to wear one then the chances are they have never learnt or been taught to wear one.

I agree though, if a child needs to wear a tie for school then the parent should teach them and then encourage them to practice doing it.

But if the child doesn't wear a tie to school then it seems a random thing for a parent to teach unless they need to wear one for another occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now